Honored Contributor

Re: 'Netiquette'~Internet Etiquette, Thread Bumping etc.

@Spurt, if QVC corporate took these forums seriously - but it doesn't appear as if they ever have, since their beginnings. I doubt they will ever spend real money on any aspect of these forums, or their website as a whole. Their online presence is just a finger-in-the-d i k e type of hobble, with all the daily glitches all over the site, not just the forums.

I know these forums are important to us, those who use them. But they're a very small part of QVC, Inc and its finances. If they "had" to spend money to spiff the site up in general and to more strictly regulate the forums, I think they'd dump the forums as not worth the bother or the $$.

As for the Ignore button - IMO yes and no. One thing it would do, I think, is increase bad feelings in the sense that if you "Ignored" someone but they continued to spit poison at you that you supposedly "don't see", how is that a good thing? IMO people would be freer to be ruder, in a sense. It would depress the ordinary poster and give freer rein to those who live to insult, as I see it. The burden would all be on the one who uses Ignore.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Spurt, if QVC corporate took these forums seriously - but it doesn't appear as if they ever have, since their beginnings. I doubt they will ever spend real money on any aspect of these forums, or their website as a whole. Their online presence is just a finger-in-the-d i k e type of hobble, with all the daily glitches all over the site, not just the forums.

I know these forums are important to us, those who use them. But they're a very small part of QVC, Inc and its finances. If they "had" to spend money to spiff the site up in general and to more strictly regulate the forums, I think they'd dump the forums as not worth the bother or the $$.

As for the Ignore button - IMO yes and no. One thing it would do, I think, is increase bad feelings in the sense that if you "Ignored" someone but they continued to spit poison at you that you supposedly "don't see", how is that a good thing? IMO people would be freer to be ruder, in a sense. It would depress the ordinary poster and give freer rein to those who live to insult, as I see it. The burden would all be on the one who uses Ignore.

@Moonchilde

I have been on various Forums since 1984 and from my vast experience (and I could tell you experiences that would make your hair curl) I found if you ignore someone thats being rude, they lose interest and move on to something or someone else...... Let's face it they go after the person hoping to get a response and enjoy "the war"....As the old saying goes, "it takes two to tango".................

But your right, QVC probably wouldnt put more money into improving the Forums unless it was tied directly to merchandise sales.....Even though QVC's seems to think interaction with each other to be worth a mention : To quote QVC,  "our customers enjoy shopping. But they also enjoy being part of our lively, engaged community."

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@PurpleBunny

As for the "bumping threads".......... sometimes the old threads continue because a person will comment on it because although the thread may be old, but the topic is still current and relevant..........

What would probably happen---- say instead of commenting on an old thread, instead you started a new one on the same subject, but the Moderators would probably delete your new one because its a "duplicate thread on the same topic"......LOL!!!!   That's how it would work for me anyway...Woman Wink

Any thread they don't want us commenting on further, they should just lock – simple. 

( \_/ )
(='x'=)
( " )_( " )
Honored Contributor

'Bumping' and bringing up an older thread for a specific purpose of answering a question, asking something relevant to that subject, etc, are two different things.

I'd rather see somebody use an existing thread to ask an additional question, or whatever practical purpose applies, than starting duplicate threads.

'Bumping' is just punching up the thread for no reason whatsoever, or is also done in types of trolling, as we've seen here over the years when somebody starts a troll ID for the express purpose of bumping scores of threads, thereby pushing down all the current threads.

Honored Contributor

In general you're right, @Spurt  But we both know these forums are a happy home to those who, aside from loving the t i t-for-tat, back atcha, also just plain old love to be nasty to someone (anyone) for nasty's sake, and blow their noses daily across the forums. If they can engage someone, yahoo, but even if they can't, they still enjoy being nasty. In QVC's forums I don't see this changing, because I don't see the setup changing. These forums aren't like other forums because they're not "run" like other forums.

Honored Contributor

@PurpleBunny wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@PurpleBunny

As for the "bumping threads".......... sometimes the old threads continue because a person will comment on it because although the thread may be old, but the topic is still current and relevant..........

What would probably happen---- say instead of commenting on an old thread, instead you started a new one on the same subject, but the Moderators would probably delete your new one because its a "duplicate thread on the same topic"......LOL!!!!   That's how it would work for me anyway...Woman Wink

Any thread they don't want us commenting on further, they should just lock – simple. 

@PurpleBunny

They need to define whats "old" or just have threads drop off after a designated time period...

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@PurpleBunny wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@PurpleBunny

@PurpleBunny

They need to define whats "old" or just have threads drop off after a designated time period...

Right. Don't blame us for a flawed system.   

( \_/ )
(='x'=)
( " )_( " )
Respected Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

'Bumping' and bringing up an older thread for a specific purpose of answering a question, asking something relevant to that subject, etc, are two different things.

I'd rather see somebody use an existing thread to ask an additional question, or whatever practical purpose applies, than starting duplicate threads.

'Bumping' is just punching up the thread for no reason whatsoever, or is also done in types of trolling, as we've seen here over the years when somebody starts a troll ID for the express purpose of bumping scores of threads, thereby pushing down all the current threads.

Exactly the point I was trying to make too. 

( \_/ )
(='x'=)
( " )_( " )
Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

@chickenbutt

Thats what I thought "bumping" was---punching up a thread by the author to keep it alive because no one is responding to it, but some are saying its responding to an old thread..........those are two different things,I concur!

@Melvin-QVC

Hi Melvin, Can you define "bumping" for us please....................

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

There is (and should be) a difference between asking a valid, on-topic question in an older thread, or contributing an on-topic experience, and bumping for the sake of putting the thread on Page One and for no other reason. Anything off-topic to the OP of a thread is bumping inappropriately, AFAIC, and anything directly related in a meaningful way to the OP is not. JMO.

If there is an old thread about Denim & Co and someone posts in it asking a question about Susan Graver, WT*? People should at least try to apply some logic.