Honored Contributor

Re: 'Netiquette'~Internet Etiquette, Thread Bumping etc.

Most of the time ,i do not like seeing old threads bumped up.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

Re: 'Netiquette' ~ Internet Etiquette & Thread Bumping etc.

@PurpleBunny wrote:

@dooBdoo The problem is, where is the line between old and new threads?  After ten posts?  Twenty?  Nothing beyond the first page?  I can see not bringing up a thread from page five or one that hasn't had a post in months, but I don't see any problem with answering a thread that has slipped to page two. 

Someone got on me once because I posted on a thread from the night before.  ROFLOL  

Honored Contributor

@hildyjohnson wrote:

Since some of us spend time on the internet social media boards the practice of 'netiquette' enters into our daily life.

It's been said that society today isn't as interested in being courteous or respectful of other people. I wonder if this is reflected in the way we use chat boards.

Seeing old threads 'bumped' got me thinking about it. 

I think the most important netiquette to follow is reading each board terms and standards and posting within them. If we disagree with the rules I think we should try to get them changed or clarified instead of breaking them imho.

What are your thoughts on internet etiquette 'netiquette' and being respectful of board policies and other posters?

Tia! 😀

@hildyjohnson

All you have to do is google "message board etiquette" and there is plenty of information.

Since people are here are complaining about "bumping" I went back and re-read the Standards.   There is a point "Do not bump messages".    To me, that means bumping to bring the thread back up to the top, not to comment on the topic.

Another thing .....  when you start a new thread, you can use the key words to see if there are any previous discussions already going on that same topic ....  and it might be better to just add to it, rather than starting a duplicate thread on the same subject.

My question .....   What consitutes an "old" thread, anyway?   What is the "cut off date" we should be guided by?  I saw nothing in the Standards to clarify this .... but I may have missed it.

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@PurpleBunny wrote:

@dooBdoo The problem is, where is the line between old and new threads?  After ten posts?  Twenty?  Nothing beyond the first page?  I can see not bringing up a thread from page five or one that hasn't had a post in months, but I don't see any problem with answering a thread that has slipped to page two. 

Someone got on me once because I posted on a thread from the night before.  ROFLOL  

Well, there is a poster who is very territorial. If you happen to start a thread on the same topic as one she started "first", you will hear about, and be advised (harangued, actually) that you did a Very Bad Thing.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@PurpleBunny wrote:

Well, there is a poster who is very territorial. If you happen to start a thread on the same topic as one she started "first", you will hear about, and be advised (harangued, actually) that you did a Very Bad Thing.

Yeah.  I try my very best to ignore her but sometimes, I just can't seem to help myself.  Woman Frustrated

Honored Contributor

The thing I dislike the most is if someone has a difference of opinion, post your opinion on the topic and instead of making snarky or rude comments about the other person.  I dont like seeing threads when the attacker doesnt even respond about the subject and even says they arent even going to read the comments, and all they do is attack the other posters......interesting "hobby" take it elsewhere please.............

And if a topic is something that will upset you, why even read it, please skip it and move on to something that you like.  A lot of argruments could be avoided this way.  If no one responds the thread will die ..............

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

The world at large is full of people who think rules of any kind are for other people and simply don't need to be paid any heed. That's been my experience throughout my 70-in-a-few-years lifetime. I suffered being raised by Someone Special and it is one of my pet life peeves.

However, the issue here, on QVC forums, is a matter of repercussions. If there are rules but no repercussions when they're broken/flaunted/ignored then why pay any attention to them? Post/thread deleted? Big deal. Given a 3-day or 30-day Time Out? You can come back. Banned? You can still come back :-(

Truly moderated forums, with moderators chosen specifically to be moderators and nothing else by experience, temperament, knowledge and diplomacy, lay down the law, give a warning or two, and that's it - boom goes the hammer. They also can see and pay attention to posting patterns, and consult with other moderators for their opinion, and have a group concensus, so that any action taken is fair and applied equally with personality not entering in.

This does not occur here. Most of it is not the moderators' fault - QVC tells them what they can/can't do in their job, they have little autonomy. Some bust their buns to be fair and take their moderating seriously; others, not so much. And they aren't "just" moderators, they are CS and have other duties we rarely hear about; they have to do the best they can with what QVC gives them.

So when you have situations where Person A says something that is clearly rude and offensive per anyone, or breaks an obvious rule, and gets away with it - nothing removed, insult stands, etc. and Person B says something and is deleted because Person A reports it out of spite (after having insulted Person B first) - how would you think Person B feels about "the rules" and their equal application?

Obey all rules always just because everyone online should obey every netiquette rule just because they're there, while others break them right and left with impunity? WHY? I don't think that many of us aspire to be Little Mary Sunshine Just Because.

I don't think netiquette is an issue when the rules are clearly spelled out AND there are repercussions - at least, if a person chooses to socialize like an adult - many people online never give that a consideration.

@Moonchilde

You make some excellent points, and its true we do not know what direction QVC has given to the Moderators (who knows--- if the poster is a high volume purchaser they may have been told to treat those people differently than someone who seldom or never purchases anything....as I said, no one knows what goes on behind the scene).  However, I think QVC should make sure the Moderators are all on the same page, and come on you could probably pick people at random and they can tell who the "troublemakers" are and I am sure the Moderators recognize the same nicknames coming up over and over and over again...so perhaps a stern warning then permanent ban is in order (as you said other Forums do this and QVC SHOULD follow their own Standards & Guidelines)..............

And perhaps QVC should consider bringing back the IGNORE BUTTON, because even if you try to ignore certain people, if they mention you, even if you are reading another topic, the notifications bring you to that comment. and if its someone you were trying to avoid, it causes problems ....so if the Ignoire Button was brought back it could also block notifications from this person and that might help stop some flame wars........

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

The thing I dislike the most is if someone has a difference of opinion, post your opinion on the topic and instead of making snarky or rude comments about the other person.  I dont like seeing threads when the attacker doesnt even respond about the subject and even says they arent even going to read the comments, and all they do is attack the other posters......interesting "hobby" take it elsewhere please.............

And if a topic is something that will upset you, why even read it, please skip it and move on to something that you like.  A lot of argruments could be avoided this way.  If no one responds the thread will die ..............

Or those that disagree with you and then make it their mission to contact the mods/cause trouble to get the thread shut down.  It's an alarming pattern by a few and it shouldn't be allowed. 

( \_/ )
(='x'=)
( " )_( " )
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@PurpleBunny wrote:

I tend to pull up old threads, but I don't consider it 'bumping' - I consider it 'catching up' when I haven't been here in a while. 

Exactly, in fact sometimes I get hearted for a post that's a month old and it's for the very reason you stated...people trying to catch up. @PurpleBunny

Honored Contributor

@PurpleBunny

As for the "bumping threads".......... sometimes the old threads continue because a person will comment on it because although the thread may be old, but the topic is still current and relevant..........

What would probably happen---- say instead of commenting on an old thread, instead you started a new one on the same subject, but the Moderators would probably delete your new one because its a "duplicate thread on the same topic"......LOL!!!!   That's how it would work for me anyway...Woman Wink