Honored Contributor

Re: Microwave: heating or cooking?

Reheating leftovers and cooking frozen dinners mostly.  Certainly not for baking potatoes, it makes them grainy.  I've see some sort of pouch that's supposed to fix that, but I don't know that I'd trust it to.  

Honored Contributor

@mormel20 wrote:

The only thing I cook in the microwave is baked potato. Otherwise I just use it to warm up food.  Do you actually cook with your micowave? I am just curious if people cook in theirs or only heat up things.

Like you only potato's otherwise heating only.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Honored Contributor

Wanted to add I love my airfryer even more than the microwave.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Trusted Contributor

What, no popcorn? Smiley Surprised

I use mine to soften butter and lots of other parts of recipes. I have a great gizmo that makes perfect stemaed vegetables, and another one that does pasta really well.

Trusted Contributor

I use our microwave far more than my double ovens, especially when the hot weather starts....the microwave also is a convection oven, so I do small cakes in it rather than turning on the oven. I also like cooking corn on the cob in the microwave. Much faster than bringing a big pot of water to a boil. I can go months without turning on my ovens. 

Esteemed Contributor

@mormel20 wrote:

The only thing I cook in the microwave is baked potato. Otherwise I just use it to warm up food.  Do you actually cook with your micowave? I am just curious if people cook in theirs or only heat up things.

@mormel20 

I won't count my boiling water to make my instant coffee, but how about popping unpopped corn, which is not pre-packaged?  To me that is cooking as are my baked potatoes.

Have to admit I eat mostly unprocessed food that come in their natural form. To me our microwave is an invaluable appliance. To my wife, not so much. She has several other types of ovens/air fryers/rice cookers/pressure cookers, and probably a few I forgot.

But my microwave? Hands Off!

hckynut(john)🥅🏒  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

Mainly re-heating. The occasional pop corn, and microwave dinner which I don't think of as cooking.  I Like to cook sweet potatoes in the microwave. I started doing them that way for my Dad in his later years.  Scrub, leave wet, poke with a fork and nuke til is starts to yield. Then flip, poke and nuke til soft.  take it out and wrap in foil so it sort of steams.  Result was soft and tasty enough for him.  I ate the skins.  Yum.

Respected Contributor

I do use the microwave to "cook" those frozen steamed Green Giant vegetables and the occassional baked potato.  That's it.

Honored Contributor

I used to cook in my micro wave but mostly use it to heat things up. I steam veggies in a streamer in it. DD pops corn in it. Would miss one if I didn't have one tho.

Respected Contributor

I cook chicken pieces and meatloaf in the microwave. I also use it whenever I fix rice or baked potatoes. It's been a long time, but I used to cook Cornish hens in the microwave--they were delicious. 

It gets used almost every day for something. I would be lost without my microwave!