Honored Contributor

Re: Microwave: heating or cooking?

[ Edited ]

Ive only used it for cooking a few things----baked potato, bacon, popcorn....use it primarily for defrosting frozen items and heating up frozen veggies, leftovers, and an occasion frozen meal for lunch.....A valuable kitchen tool!!!

Why You NEVER Microwave Cat Food - Two Crazy Cat Ladies

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

@mormel20 wrote:

The only thing I cook in the microwave is baked potato. Otherwise I just use it to warm up food.  Do you actually cook with your micowave? I am just curious if people cook in theirs or only heat up things.

Corn on the cob,popcorn, peanut brittle, fudge. potatoes. . I use it alot, also have a Ninja Foodie, and oven.

Respected Contributor

I make an occasional poached egg in the microwave.  I don't  care for potatoes baked in the microwave but will do it on occasion as it is so fast.

I make instant oatmeal, popcorn and heat up coffee, soup and leftovers. I would hate to be without it.

Honored Contributor

Use it for frozen food everyday at lunch for work. I used to bring sandwiches, but tired of it.  So I use it for lean cuisine, etc.  I wanted veggies with my lunch instead of bread!

At home I use it for popcorn, heating water, heating up some foods, etc.  Need my microwave!

Honored Contributor

I received my first microwave for Christmas from my Mom 1981.  My soon to be husband and I made a pot roast.  Worst thing I ever tasted.  After that it was just for heating up and we started baked potatoes in it .  They still do not taste as good as oven baked so I would nuke them for a bit then wrap in foil and put in the oven for a short time.  2022 and I still do not actually cook in the microwave,  that pot roast was pretty bad.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Esteemed Contributor

I use it to warm up food. I also use it for baked potatoes and corn.  And I buy frozen veggies in a bag and with only two of us I can have a different variety a day without having to make large quanitites to store. 

Honored Contributor

@mormel20   I only heat in the microwave.

Esteemed Contributor

Heating and once in awhile popcorn.

Honored Contributor

We use our microwave to cook bacon.  My husband uses it daily to make hot tea, heat water for hot chocolate, and warm leftovers.