Regular Contributor

Microwave: heating or cooking?

The only thing I cook in the microwave is baked potato. Otherwise I just use it to warm up food.  Do you actually cook with your micowave? I am just curious if people cook in theirs or only heat up things.

Honored Contributor

Re: Microwave: heating or cooking?

Use it as infrequently as possible.....husband will heat up his coffee in the microwave.

Honored Contributor

We use it frequently.  That and the refrigerator are the only 2 kitchen appliances I need--LOL!!!

Honored Contributor

I keep my microwave in garage.  I use to reheat stuff, defrost once in a blue moon.  I don't like the EMF coming at me in the kitchen. It takes up space in my smaller kitchen, with coveted cupboard space.  JMHO

Respected Contributor

We mostly use our microwave for heating. I do have a few recipes that I cook in the microwave. I do not want to be without one.

Esteemed Contributor

The only thing I "cook" in the microwave is popcorn and we don't do that very often.

I do use the microwave everyday to heat up water in my coffee cup prior to making my espresso. I would say we use it 99% of time for heating only.

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Respected Contributor

We use it for heating up coffee.  We also use it for heating up our dog's food (breakfast and supper).  Sometimes I'll heat certain foods, like a baked potato, and finish cooking it in our little oven.  We use it a LOT, but not for strictly cooking.

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Honored Contributor

You can't beat it for heating things up!   

Not much I can actually "cook" in the microwave other than an occasional frozen entree for lunch.  

Having said that ...  we have been experimenting with cooking various fall squash ... butternut, spaghetti, acorn, kamboocha etc etc.  Each takes about an hour in the oven.  My sister said she was very happy with cooking her last squash in the microwave .... ten minutes and it was done to perfection.  I am definitely going to try that!

Honored Contributor

@shoekitty wrote:

I keep my microwave in garage.  I use to reheat stuff, defrost once in a blue moon.  I don't like the EMF coming at me in the kitchen. It takes up space in my smaller kitchen, with coveted cupboard space.  JMHO

@shoekitty 

If that's your preference, fine.  But I don't think it matters that much ... we have radiation coming at us from our computers, televisions, wi-fi modems,  other devices ....  I'm just not sure it helps much to not use a microwave.

Honored Contributor

I can't recall cooking anything in the microwave.  Oh, somebody mentioned popcorn.  I have done that numerous times.

I use it for heating things up - leftovers for the next meal, some water for decaf tea or hot chocolate, etc.

I can't really think of anything else I would want to actually cook in the microwave.  I have a stove/oven, too, and a countertop convection oven, so I'm set for cooking stuff.  Smiley Happy