Respected Contributor

I would take my dog and go to the basement.  It is always cool down there except in winter when we turn on the baseboard heat.  There is comfortable furniture and I would probably take a nap until the air comes back on.

Honored Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

Is anyone having these extremes been notified that your power company is "rolling" the power in your area? We had this occur back in 94 when we had over 100 degree temps for over 2 weeks (heat index made it far worse).

I'm curious if, as an emergency procedure, they're doing this in order to keep power going for the majority the majority of the time. After I commented on @songbird  post, my MIL called me to tell me they had just lost power; everyone on their street did as well as other streets in their neighborhood. Come to find out that about 2 hours earlier, a different section of her town experienced the same thing; 45 minutes of no power. 

There is some confusiton over how long the power outage was.  Prior to it, the power went on and offf.  I was taking a nap (one way to wear away a day of heat) and didn't notice.  My husband woke me up when the power went off.   I asked him & he thought it was 45 minutes long 

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

@cherry wrote:

I would have gone to the movies

And then to the mall.  

Yeah.  But men would never think of that!

Honored Contributor

No crisis here, but the heat has changed my entire day.  At 6 AM, the temp was only 77 but the humidity was already oppressive.  I walked 50 steps out to the street.  Almost any other day, I'd then walk for 20-39 minutes.  Today?  Turned around and came inside.

Later this morning I had planned to get on the LIRR and head into NYC.  Just the thought of walking out to Penn Station into a taxi line felt wrong -  and what if there were a power outage again in the City or even just the subway system.  Worse than looking for a cab or Uber in the rain!

Respected Contributor

Re: Major crisis averted

[ Edited ]

People should always be prepared to take care of themselves during a power outage & not wonder what they might do. Good grief if you have a portable generator have gas available to run it & have bottled water, easy packaged food, batteries for a radio, light & fan, a phone, emergency numbers & a check in buddy, know the nearest cooling center & shelter, have cash in hand, be prepared to leave if you need to & use common sense, don't panic. I've been without power for 3 weeks in winter & almost that long in summer so no heat, no AC & no running water...it was difficult but  being prepared made it doable.

Honored Contributor

I would’ve sat still and waited to hear the generator kick in.......

Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

I would have turned on some fans and waited for the power to come back on.  Brown outs happen during heat waves.  It's not a crisis.

Unless you have some heart or respiratory problems it's not going to kill you to be hot for awhile.

No electricity,  no fans.

Honored Contributor

My power used to go out at least once a month up  in Ind.

Always drunks running into electric poles/transformers, etc.

Squirrel ate thru cable one time.

I ran the tub full of cold water, and made like Orca.

th.gif

Honored Contributor
When we had a very severe storm and lost power in June, We went to the public library not far from our house....figured we could use their WiFi and read a book if we wanted. Got there...every window had been blown out and no power. Finally had to drive to another part of town to a library ranch with power and little damage....we stayed for a long time in wonderful a/c. Authorities say go to a mall if you don’t have a/c....but malls are getting harder to even find now. It is sad that so many people don’t even own a/c....so even with power they are sweltering in 100-plus temperatures. The library or a mall are two of the dwindling options for many.
Honored Contributor
If you go sit in your car for the a/c...make sure your garage door is open first!