Respected Contributor

You have a generator and you don't keep it ready for emergencies?  Is the generator strong enough to power at least the A/C and maybe the fridge?  If you don't keep it ready to go (including fully fueled and maintained) in ANY emergency situation, I have no sympathy for you whatsoever.

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Boehm Collector wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@songbird   

My husband and I  have decided to invest in a whole house generator.  It will cost to put in about $15,000 when totally installed.   But when the power goes out, we will have a generator that automatically kicks on and will run the refrigeration... lights... garage door, ( TV and internet)... we will use 1000 watt space heaters for heat..   and use cook plates for cooking plus we can use the microwave too.. 

I know it sounds expensive. But I HATE being without power or at least something. It will run on  two 250 gallon propane tanks  that will be permanent installed  that we will have filled as needed.

This is my present to myself to not have to worry all winter about power being out for days.  Or power out at any time of the year. It is just PEACE OF MIND.  

@SeaMaiden    .. DH and I had a Generac installed a few years ago.  Our house is rather small so the generator we have can run the AC and furnace.  It will work all our lights and appliances.  But we were told not to run everything all at once.  It cost us under $9000.00.  Small price to pay for peace of mind. 

@Boehm Collector   ThankYOU for your post!  If we had the one  that ran the AC and Furnace....we would need a huge BURIED propane tank...and the price would be many thousands above $15,000.  I figured not living where the power goes off often....I could be happy without the furnace.  Space heaters would be fine.  Yes...peace of mind is priceless....my Husband is not quite as understanding of this.....but happy wife happy life😄

LIving in hurricane/tropical storm country, we have a whole house generator, too.  But our house is already piped with natural gas, so no propane tanks are needed.  When electricity goes off, the generator kicks on automatically and runs everything.  It was expensive to buy/install and we have a maintenance contract to keep it serviced, which is an annual expense.  But that baby has been worth every penny.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

I would have turned on some fans and waited for the power to come back on.  Brown outs happen during heat waves.  It's not a crisis.

Unless you have some heart or respiratory problems it's not going to kill you to be hot for awhile.

No electricity,  no fans.

@chrystaltree- Yep!  I was wondering how the OP was supposed to plug in any fans with no electricity!  Maybe she could've gotten her DH to stand over her and fan her, Cleopatra style.  Woman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

@CatsyCline wrote:

@SeaMaiden   how many summer days of 90+ heat does your area get?   My DH has been out all month near Tulalip visiting family and he's been texting daily saying it's in the 70s there and dry and comfortable. 

@CatsyCline   Today was about 90 degrees everywhere in the Seattle area. But tomorrow and the rest of the week will be in the mid to upper 70’s.  Closer to the coast you are, the cooler it is by as much as 10 degrees. It has been mild so far this spring and summer....much drier than what is normal and actually we are in a drought here.  We will get a hot spell or two I am sure before summer fizzles out. Usually a week of 90 plus.  That is enough for me!

Esteemed Contributor

First off, I would not have panicked.

Power goes out all of the time, always has, always will. It isn't the end of the world when it does.

Second, I would have opened windows, to catch any breeze.

Third, maybe take a cool shower, put cool towels over your head, on your neck, pour cool water over your head.

Fourth, strip to bare minimum clothing.

Fifth, just wait it out.

As I said, not the end of the world, and not worth loosing one's head in a panic over.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Esteemed Contributor

Why are you so mean? I guess it's because you are anonymous behind a computer screen. I can't imagine you speak to people face to face like this, because nobody would stick around. 

Esteemed Contributor

Woman LOL Woman LOL Woman LOL

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.