Honored Contributor

Major crisis averted

[ Edited ]

Today is the hottest day of the year.  You are sitting in your air conditioned house, happy you have that.  Then the POWER GOES OFF.

That's what happened.  All power went off. Scenarios of dying of heat flashes through your mind.  Then 45 long minutes later you are saved.  The power came on.  

What would you have done?  My husband and I immediately thought of running out to the shed for the generator.  Then realizing it has less then a quarter of gas left in it. So we discarded that.  Then we decided better then nothing.  So we ran out in this heat.......thank you, God.  The power came back on.  Just as we were opening the door.....

Honored Contributor

Go sit in my car with the ac running (this is why you NEVER allow your gastank to go below half full). Or, drive to a store that is KNOWN to keep it's ac on SUPER COLD (that would be Aldi's for me).

I've been there done that and with young children/babies. I have asthma. I always have an escape plan in the event of severe weather conditions.

Off Topic (kind of): I was overdue by a week with my first child when the 4th of July arrived. In Baltimore, you can give up getting to a hospital as the majority of streets are blocked for festivities. My hospital was located in the heart of the city. So, DH and I packed my bags and we plopped ourselves down in the main waiting area early in the afternoon. As the hours went by, more and more pregnant women showed up doing the same thing. By nightfall, there was a VERY large group of us. 2 DID wind up going upstairs to L & D to deliver but the rest of us just hung out. The next morning, we all headed home.

Yep. I plan ahead the best I can.

Honored Contributor

It's happening to a lot of people, it always does during exteme heat waves like this.  I wouldn't have done anything except wait for the power to come back on like you did.  I would have waited an hour and then called the power company, if it was a major outage they'd have the information on the automated line.  My older daughter lives in RI and they lost power in the middle of the night, it was out for a few of hours.  She thinks it was just their neighborhood because there was nothing in the news.

Honored Contributor

@songbird @How hot is it where you live?I am happy to hear that your crisis has passed and you are luxuriating in coolness again.

Honored Contributor

I would have gone to the movies

Honored Contributor

@dex wrote:

@songbird @How hot is it where you live?I am happy to hear that your crisis has passed and you are luxuriating in coolness again.

It was 104F yesterday.  That's why I nearly....not strike that really panicked

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

I would have gone to the movies

And then to the mall.  

Honored Contributor

I would have turned on some fans and waited for the power to come back on.  Brown outs happen during heat waves.  It's not a crisis.

Unless you have some heart or respiratory problems it's not going to kill you to be hot for awhile.

Honored Contributor

Is anyone having these extremes been notified that your power company is "rolling" the power in your area? We had this occur back in 94 when we had over 100 degree temps for over 2 weeks (heat index made it far worse).

I'm curious if, as an emergency procedure, they're doing this in order to keep power going for the majority the majority of the time. After I commented on @songbird  post, my MIL called me to tell me they had just lost power; everyone on their street did as well as other streets in their neighborhood. Come to find out that about 2 hours earlier, a different section of her town experienced the same thing; 45 minutes of no power. 

Honored Contributor

I would never leave my house without my dogs.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.