Valued Contributor

Re: Mail Delivery and Trash Pickup

A little over 2 years ago I had a HUGE pile of construction debris & I had called our trash guy ahead of time & he was going to get it for an additional fee. It was demo from an entire room! Days go by & no pick up. I kept calling & no answer. We don't live in an area where trash cans sits out, let alone a huge pile of construction debris!! Finally after a week & threats to call the city, he showed up & for $50 was gone. Was originally gonna cost a lot more. Found out through a third party he was going through a nasty divorce & his wife who took calls didn't put all of them through to the drivers and her husband who scheduled the crew. Sorry but I'm not going to be put in the middle of that at my expense!

I switched to another company & couldn't be happier! They come at 5:30am weekly like clockwork & if I have larger items that cost extra I can get it gone in a day.

I pay $90 a quarter which if you break down is less than $10 a week. Really for convenience is $10 a week (actually less) something to complain about to not have to worry about trash if you have a reliable company?

Recycling pick up is through the City every 2 weeks & we have a Recycling Center that takes basics & much much more, open 6 days a week. I go there w larger stuff & if I have more than my usual for the 2 week pick up.
Honored Contributor

No problems with either here in southern WV.

Respected Contributor

@lovescats wrote:

@ScrapHappy 

are you missing mail?  I get mail most days but not every day.

I would go to usps.com and sign up for

Informed Delivery®

to see to see what mail should be coming each day in your email

I don't think we're missing mail but we did receive a bill yesterday that was due 12/30.  But my husband paid it on line so it wasn't past due.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]
  • Here's some fun regarding package delivery 
  •  
  •  
  • 271547511_5035585193140441_870718724755178644_n.jpg
Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

My mail person quit 12/4 and we have subsitutes.  They have to deliver to our street when they finish their reg. route, so somedays no mail.

The garbage gets picked up reg. but I don't live in the snow.

In fact, I was gardening today in sunny weather.

Now we have to compose our food and scraps seperate from the reg everyday garbage and put it in the green yard bin

We have blue for paper, glass, etc. Gray for household garbage, except table scraps and compose those, go in green bin with  grass,weeds, paper that we shred in shredder and it goes on and on.

Garbage bill increased, yet we the householder have to seperate more garbage now, then before. 

I am 85.  My dad was a garbage man in San Fracisco when I was young, as was my Uncle's and cousin, the good old Italian family.  Good pay in those days, the 40', 50's.  They worked their legs off.  They did not sit in a truck, but ran along side the driver and truck.  They would grab the one garbage can in those days, haul it with straps over their shoulders, dump into back of open truck, put it back on property owners site and run and get next can.  Now this was working, not sitting in a warm truck. 

I do realize it's a better system now, but they  have the homeowner do some of the work and at my age, lucky to get the three cans out in front.  I am not composing.  Garbage is garbage.

Lower my bill and I might figure it out.

Honored Contributor

No problems but now we leave out bins out the night before because sometimes they arrive early  and sometimes later in the afternoon.  It used to be almost consistent except for holiday schedules.

We haven't paid attention regarding mail because we get very little anyway.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

We have no problems with either here.  Our Mail is delivered at about the same time each day.  Some days it is delivered later in the day.

Trash pick up is weekly and always on the scheduled day.

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward