Honored Contributor

Re: Mail Delivery and Trash Pickup

@ScrapHappy 

I would go to the post office and ask to speak to the postmaster.  Lord knows you can't get anyone to answer a phone!  Sorry for your ordeal.

Honored Contributor

Our mail delivery comes every day, most of the time, but it comes very late. Mondays and the day after a holiday makes it even later. And all bets are off if our carrier is off.

I got a letter from the trash company a week or so ago saying they have severe staffing shortages because of Covid and that pickup might be delayed. Normal pickup day is Thursday. They did not come last Thursday, but they did come on Friday.

I moved mid week last week so that will be the last pickup with that trash company (we use private companies where I live). I have to call them tomorrow to cancel. The new company picked up at the new house this past Thursday, as scheduled.  Mail seems to run here late also.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

I and another neighbor are totally frustrated. I have called  to report five times  as she has called often since last summer and it is one excuse after another. Routing issues, drivers, weather,  construction  and  they switch days of service as call and leave a message to have recycles out post a calendar and don't show up for months.  It's the same story, let Operations know. They still charge for service. The website is full of complaints and Republic, a National company, should be embarassed and ashamed. They post a calendar but don't follow it.

We had a smaller area waste management service that picked up recycles every two weeks. Great service  No complaints. They would come the next day if didn't make it. They sold out to" Republic "last summer then the  continual problems came. Erratic service and  dates changing constantly.

My neighbor and I feel very badly that we can no longer recycle and not help the environment and are now days  forced to use regular trash.I see neighbors who now have  four containers  tipped over, buried in the snow. Missed them for weeks when ours was taken? They just dont care. When the former  good company sold  out last summer problems ensued. Waste Management has  not recycled here in many years, preCovid,

USPS is great. Every few years they switch routes and my current carrier is great. The other one I couldnt trust important mail with. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Mail and trash OK here where I live in Western PA.....Although I get misdelivered mail in my roadside box I would say, quite often. I just put a sticky on it and place it back in the box marked "Wrong Box"....

Makes me wonder if MY mail is on someone else's kitchen table!!! 

Friday I got an Amazon mailer package....I wasn't expecting anything, and sure enough, it was NOT my address...and it felt like pill bottles in the padded mailer....Just put it back in the box, as the address is 1/2 mile up the road...

I WILL say this...that Amazon package had an address label on it with microscopic font. I don't know WHY they insist on using such tiny font....the mailman has seconds to go thru his delivery before he leaves the PO and I forgive him with this package. The font size is ridiculous.

When I address something by hand, I use DARK ink and LARGE letters. 

My mom used to print like a tiny spider walked across the envelope...almost unreadable...How is the mail man supposed to SEE that?!?!?!? Adn since they were mostly birthday cards in colored envelopes, it made it more challenging to see!!!!

I LOVE the USPS email service that tells me what's IN My mailbox each day, before it's delivered..... they even scan most of the envelopes so you can see what they are before you even step outside!

SO on days when it's snowy or windy or ice on the ground, I don't have to trudge up my long driveway only to find a few Medicare Advantage sales propaganda mailers...which is most of what I get today...( along with car warranty nonsense for my 11 year old car....!!!)

Honored Contributor

@ScrapHappy wrote:

We have only been receiving our mail about once or twice a week now.  And now our trash pickup is delayed.  We were instructed by our HOA to still take our garbage out as we always do and that Waste Managment will come when they come.  Recyclables has stopped until further notice.  We're to put it with our regular garage.  It's because of Covid and not enough staff.  Anyone else having issues?  

@ScrapHappy  Sounds like you live in my HOA! My mail is delivered maybe every other day now....pick up is iffy too. My trash was picked up this last week, but because of bad weather the previous week no pick up. 

Respected Contributor

After reading these posts I feel fortunate.  My mail is no problem, we get it daily to the house.  We have a great mail carrier.  Also, our trash is paid for in our taxes and the township picks it up twice a week.  They too are hard workers.  Hospitals and urgent care facilities are open but there are long waits.

Sometimes I take these services for granted but I am thankful for them.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ScrapHappy 

In my area both trash and recycle pickup is at the norm here in South Texas....

As for mail---thats another issue---merchants have been sending out emails warning us of changes to USPS and it going to take longer even for LOCAL mail.  They warned those that still pay their bills via snail mail to either mail their payments extra early so they arrive on time, or switch to online payments, auto pay, or pay by phone.....Just when you thought it couldnt be any worse for USPS IT IS!!!...I pay my bills either auto pay or online, but it irks me that even local mail will be delayed---🙄😫

I think it's time for the U.S. Mail to be privatized and run by an independent company....  I always wondered why some Ebay vendors even use Amazon for deliveries---It doesnt take a rocket scientist to realize that USPS has gotten that bad..

And its been this way for a loooong time in my area....long before covid and more more people started ordering online.....The straw that broke the camels back was an Ebay order that actually took more than a month to arrive within U.S. boundries, despite all my efforts and efforts from the Ebay vendor---which basically disregarded our requests for a search and re-delivery and this was long before the busy holiday shopping season even started! (merchandise from Europe have arrived faster!)

UPS has always been FANTASTIC in my area, and even Amazon has recently lived up to expectations...forced to use them since USPS is so bad...and Fed Ex runs a close second in my area!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ECBG wrote:

@ScrapHappy 

I would go to the post office and ask to speak to the postmaster.  Lord knows you can't get anyone to answer a phone!  Sorry for your ordeal.

@ECBG 

You are so right no one answers the phone!!! 

Been there, done that---all the Supervisor's give you is a line of BS (despite USPS saying they hired up this year to assure adequare coverage of mail/package deliveries).....I wrote to the Post Master General who forwarded my complaints to the person in charge for my city....poor service has been going on for years, I get tons of mail belonging to my neighbors, packages that dont belong to me....and my packages sit in their post office, no mention of that at all, and even though several requests were sent by me and the company for re-delivery they were ignored (they sent it back to the merchant since no one picked it up--even though no notice it was sitting at the post office...)....IVE HAD IT!!! And even one of the FEW good postal workers we had decided to change careers and she even admitted and I QUOTE----"my co-workers are a bunch of idiots, good luck!"

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

@ScrapHappy 

are you missing mail?  I get mail most days but not every day.

I would go to usps.com and sign up for

Informed Delivery®

to see to see what mail should be coming each day in your email

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Othereeeen wrote:

Mail and trash OK here where I live in Western PA.....Although I get misdelivered mail in my roadside box I would say, quite often. I just put a sticky on it and place it back in the box marked "Wrong Box"....

Makes me wonder if MY mail is on someone else's kitchen table!!! 

Friday I got an Amazon mailer package....I wasn't expecting anything, and sure enough, it was NOT my address...and it felt like pill bottles in the padded mailer....Just put it back in the box, as the address is 1/2 mile up the road...

I WILL say this...that Amazon package had an address label on it with microscopic font. I don't know WHY they insist on using such tiny font....the mailman has seconds to go thru his delivery before he leaves the PO and I forgive him with this package. The font size is ridiculous.

When I address something by hand, I use DARK ink and LARGE letters. 

My mom used to print like a tiny spider walked across the envelope...almost unreadable...How is the mail man supposed to SEE that?!?!?!? Adn since they were mostly birthday cards in colored envelopes, it made it more challenging to see!!!!

I LOVE the USPS email service that tells me what's IN My mailbox each day, before it's delivered..... they even scan most of the envelopes so you can see what they are before you even step outside!

SO on days when it's snowy or windy or ice on the ground, I don't have to trudge up my long driveway only to find a few Medicare Advantage sales propaganda mailers...which is most of what I get today...( along with car warranty nonsense for my 11 year old car....!!!)

@Othereeeen 

"SO on days when it's snowy or windy or ice on the ground, I don't have to trudge up my long driveway only to find a few Medicare Advantage sales propaganda mailers...which is most of what I get today...( along with car warranty nonsense for my 11 year old car....!!!)"

I know what you mean by all the junk mail!!!!  I even went online and opted out of mail notifications and even sent emails to companies I do business with to stop the junk mail....it did little good...😡

Yes, I agree informed delivery is a good service, however, watch out....if its bad weather and your mailbox gets full then they have an excuse to tell you that you have you come to pickup your mail at the POST OFFICE since your mailbox is always full....happened to a friend of mine!