Honored Contributor

Re: Macy's Customer Service Isn't Customer Service For Sure!

@Trinity11 wrote:

Thankfully, I rarely have an issue with Macy's. I am in their Rewards program and it is the only store credit card I hold. If I call Customer Service and the rep is having difficulty in understanding me, I ask them if they prefer speaking in Spanish and they always say yes. 

Our Macy's are clean, well staffed and hopefully, they will continue to be in business...

Do you speak Spanish, @Trinity11?

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@Sooner 

I had just the opposite yesterday with am Amazon Customer Rep. My wife ordered a 12 set of drinking glasses from them. Upon opening them, 2 of them were cracked.

I called their CS and this is what they did. Asked me if I wanted credit card refund or Amazon Gift $$$$. Since we order a lot I told her the Gift option. Asked her to send me a return label. She said, "not necessary, you can keep them or give them away ".

How's that for comparison? It was about as good a 180 in customer service as one can find. Cost with tax?  $26.36

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@Sooner 

I had just the opposite yesterday with am Amazon Customer Rep. My wife ordered a 12 set of drinking glasses from them. Upon opening them, 2 of them were cracked.

I called their CS and this is what they did. Asked me if I wanted credit card refund or Amazon Gift $$$$. Since we order a lot I told her the Gift option. Asked her to send me a return label. She said, "not necessary, you can keep them or give them away ".

How's that for comparison? It was about as good a 180 in customer service as one can find. Cost with tax?  $26.36

hckynut 

@hckynut I am HAPPY for you and yes, that's the way it should be!

That's what was such a shock to me.  I have ordered sets of four of these glasses from Macy's a number of times (I'm getting different colors and sizes) and about 3 times over the last 2 years have had one broken.

Always before I have talked to some nice person who spoke English, listened to me, understood what I was telling them and offered refund or replacement.  Once I got another set of four because the guy said we don't have any singles of that and you wanted a set and you're going to get one!  And was cheerful about it.

So here I am this time, can barely understand the lady and feel sure she doesn't understand or really care, and the only option is SHIP IT ALL back.  Really?  I'm going to pack up four sets of four glassware, with three broken, and ship it?  How stupid.  

I felt like dumping them all in a box and sticking the labels she sent me on and doing so--but I don't want anyone to get hurt and it's not worth fooling with further. Lesson learned.  Fool me once. . . not twice.

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

Thankfully, I rarely have an issue with Macy's. I am in their Rewards program and it is the only store credit card I hold. If I call Customer Service and the rep is having difficulty in understanding me, I ask them if they prefer speaking in Spanish and they always say yes. 

Our Macy's are clean, well staffed and hopefully, they will continue to be in business...

Do you speak Spanish, @Trinity11?

Yes @suzyQ3 . Enough to be able to communicate...

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@hckynut wrote:

@Sooner 

hckynut 

@hckynut I am HAPPY for you and yes, that's the way it should be!

That's what was such a shock to me.  I have ordered sets of four of these glasses from Macy's a number of times (I'm getting different colors and sizes) and about 3 times over the last 2 years have had one broken.

Always before I have talked to some nice person who spoke English, listened to me, understood what I was telling them and offered refund or replacement.  Once I got another set of four because the guy said we don't have any singles of that and you wanted a set and you're going to get one!  And was cheerful about it.

So here I am this time, can barely understand the lady and feel sure she doesn't understand or really care, and the only option is SHIP IT ALL back.  Really?  I'm going to pack up four sets of four glassware, with three broken, and ship it?  How stupid.  

I felt like dumping them all in a box and sticking the labels she sent me on and doing so--but I don't want anyone to get hurt and it's not worth fooling with further. Lesson learned.  Fool me once. . . not twice.

Interesting @Sooner . I ordered 8 Lenox Butterfly Meadow dinner plates from Macy's and 2 were chipped. I was sent replacements with no issues. No issue with needing to return the chipped plates. The customer rep was able to expedite delivery and I received them in 5 days.

Only mentioning to show how different Cust. Service reps can be representing the same store.

Honored Contributor

@Marp wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

I talked to two supposed CS reps for Macy's about a small problem today and yesterday.  Both days it was obvious neither lady could not understand what I was saying, and both days I could not understand either lady I was talking to.  I had no clue what the outcome of the conversation was (actually both talked over me the entire time so I'm not sure "conversation" is accurate).

They did not listen, did not care what I was trying to tell them and their only response was to e-mail a return label when that wasn't the problem at all.

I think in light of this, no more Macy's for me.  

Just a cautionary note--don't count on it being helpful like it used to be to call about a problem!  WOW what a 180 that retailer did!  

@Sooner. FYI Your second sentence with the double negative "neither lady could not understand" ends up meaning both could understand. 😁  

@Pearlee That's what you got out of all that rant?  Good grief!  Woman Frustrated

@Sooner  Well one if the things. The rest is par for the course these days with outsourced calls, so nothing noteworthy to me.

You're welcome.

Perfection is such a heavy burden one often falls from the weight.

@Marp  @suzyQ3  And thank goodness I never fall very far. I can live with making a few typos.  In everything else...perfection! ⭐

Honored Contributor

I hope this is really about the decline of Macy's CS and not a dig at those who are non-native speakers of English.

Honored Contributor

@aroc3435 Because of your kindness and encouragement, and because people working on our house won't be here all day every day next week and I will be calmer, I have your list of Macy's numbers saved and will gird my loins to call them tomorrow.

I'll let you know how it goes.  Now if I can just ring the right size rock and remember where I put my sling. . . Woman Frustrated

Honored Contributor

@lolakimono wrote:

I hope this is really about the decline of Macy's CS and not a dig at those who are non-native speakers of English.

@lolakimono I don't know what you mean by "dig" in this context but non-native speakers of English hired to provide  customer service who can't speak English clearly enough to communicate with primarily English-speaking customers aren't qualified for the job.

Respected Contributor

@Sooner   I be sending positive thoughts your way.  I hope you will have a more positive encounter and better results.

Retired now, but I was in customer service--telephone, e-mail, and sometimes in person, for "internal"--other departments--and "external" customers.  

Customer service is an extraordinarily challenging type of job and quite stressful to achieve and maintain standards of excellence on behalf of an organization.

I hope you reach a person that has some actual discretionary power this time.  The first line call center person usually doesn't and might even be "timed" as to how long she is on, or is allowed to be onn, each call.

My organization gradually recognized my ability to keep customers calm and resolve their problems so over the years I was given more and more flexibility to make decisions within broad parameters.

I must say I don't miss the job--it was very stressful.  

To this day, I don't like to be on the phone--leave me a detailed message and I'll call back.

Good luck.

aroc3435

Washingtonn, DC