Honored Contributor

Anyone Have Any Advice on avoiding Outer Banks Traffic?

We will be going on vacation to the OB.  It appears that most, if not all rental houses in the OB have the same check-in time of 4:00.  There is one bridge to get across and it is said to be a complete nightmare.  There are stories of people sitting in traffic for 5 hours.

I have read some blogs that have said you can take an alternate route but only if you are going to Kittyhawk and south. We are going north.  Supposedly if you aren't over the bridge by 9:00 a.m., you are in serious traffic troubles.

Initially our plan was to leave late Friday night and get there Saturday morning.  However, it will be a 12 hour drive for us and then what do you do after you've driven 12 hours and can't get into your house until 4 in the afternoon?  I'm thinking that the only thing that makes sense is to leave very early Saturday morning so we get there in the early evening Saturday.  I would think that would avoid much of the traffic.  However, I am getting some pushback by those who now want to go Friday, get a hotel and stay overnight.  However, checkout time for a hotel is 11:00 so you still run into several hours of trying to find something to do until you can check into the house.

Any tips or tricks with the traffic situation?    

Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone Have Any Advice on avoiding Outer Banks Traffic?

Annabelle here.  My best friend is going there for a wedding next week.

We've been going to Outer Banks since 1975.

I haven't been there for a few years.  My friend goes a few times a year.  I can text her and ask her which way works best.

Mainly I wanted to keep your post up front so more people see it.

I hope you have lots of fun.

Esteemed Contributor

Sounds like getting over the only bridge to Long Beach Island NJ in the summer.  I think your plan to get there Saturday  evening makes sense, there should be less traffic then.  Or you could drive part way, stop for the night and plan your arrival time from there. Enjoy your time there and plan your escape time carefully too!   

Honored Contributor

I was going to suggest going the night before.

If you checked out at 11, had a leisurely lunch or brunch and by the time you are finished you really wouldn't have to kill that much more time until you could get in the house.

Respected Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

We will be going on vacation to the OB.  It appears that most, if not all rental houses in the OB have the same check-in time of 4:00.  There is one bridge to get across and it is said to be a complete nightmare.  There are stories of people sitting in traffic for 5 hours.

I have read some blogs that have said you can take an alternate route but only if you are going to Kittyhawk and south. We are going north.  Supposedly if you aren't over the bridge by 9:00 a.m., you are in serious traffic troubles.

Initially our plan was to leave late Friday night and get there Saturday morning.  However, it will be a 12 hour drive for us and then what do you do after you've driven 12 hours and can't get into your house until 4 in the afternoon?  I'm thinking that the only thing that makes sense is to leave very early Saturday morning so we get there in the early evening Saturday.  I would think that would avoid much of the traffic.  However, I am getting some pushback by those who now want to go Friday, get a hotel and stay overnight.  However, checkout time for a hotel is 11:00 so you still run into several hours of trying to find something to do until you can check into the house.

Any tips or tricks with the traffic situation?    

I would break up the drive and see things along the way. Leave Friday and make a stop or two, find a hotel and start again in the morning again, taking time to do things before getting to the OB. Just because you can check in at 4: doesn't mean there's a rule you have to so have some fun while you wait to avoid the traffic jam.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lipstickdiva

Our family vacations in OBX every 4th of July week. We stay on the 4x4 section at the end of Corolla. Yes the traffic can be a nightmare. Last year it wasn't bad at all due to Covid but it was an off year. 

We usually drive down the day before and stay in a Hotel. This year my husband has to work and we can't do that so we will leave as early as we can the morning of check in but still expect a lot of traffic.

Our best plan that works for us is....go the day before. When we leave the Hotel room the day of check in we go to the pool, breakfast, then do all of our food shopping for the week. That way we just bring the food to the house and have not wasted any precious vacation time. We make a list of what each family will buy and meet at the Food Lion or Harris Teeter to do all of our shopping. That way we are ready to set up at the house when we check in without going out again.. By the time we are done shopping and packing the cars  the house is ready for us to check in.

Organization and planning is the key for us because we have little kids and a lot of people staying in the house. 

We will have to leave really early in the morning this year but will meet for Food Shopping as usual.

We go to Nags Head every September (just my husband and I) and that is a totally different experience...no traffic at all.

You will have a great time once you get settled in the house...ENJOY!!!

Respected Contributor

Go the night before or get there a day ahead and stay in a cheap, local hotel.

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva  " However, checkout time for a hotel is 11:00 so you still run into several hours of trying to find something to do until you can check into the house."

Call the hotel & request a "late" checkout from the "manager."  I've done this plenty of times.  Sometimes you may have to pay anywhere between $5-$10 extra.  Sometimes no fee if the hotel honors a AAA or AARP discount to book rooms.  Explain your situation to the manager.

Enjoy your vacay!

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

Even though you can't check in until 4 pm, many times they'll let you in 1-2 hrs earlier if room / bungalow has been serviced.  The other option is to do your grocery shopping and have lunch.

Honored Contributor

Oh dear.  I've always wanted to go there but would need to know what months are off season.  We don't do well in crowds.