Honored Contributor

Re: Macy's Customer Service Isn't Customer Service For Sure!

@aroc3435 I was on the phone a lot in my job dealing with issues and people and "stuff" they wanted--in additional to my "day job" I was really supposed to be doing.  People don't understand why I avoid the phone--except the lady in the office next to mine.

Husband implemented and ran for a year or two a cs service for a company.  It was an adventure but it was one of the highest rated nationwide--but he was happy to go back to his real job. It ain't easy!  And it does take special people. 

I would last a couple hours probably. . . Woman Embarassed

Honored Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

I'm not surprised.  They've stripped so much out of their stores it's obvious they're just waiting to die.  I wonder who will be the next sponsor of the Thanksgiving Day Parade.

Macy's isn't just the sponsor! They started the whole thing back in 1924! It started with all Macy's employees and some animals and later switched to the balloons!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@lolakimono wrote:

I hope this is really about the decline of Macy's CS and not a dig at those who are non-native speakers of English.

@lolakimono 

For me, its certainly not meant as a dig at those where English is a second language.  It's more of a communication issue where there is no meeting of the minds. Even if English is the primary language sometimes its difficult for two people to understand and communicate well with each other. The OP mentioned the Reps interrupted and talked over her the entire time while she was trying to explain her situation, and not letting a person finish talking is impolite and rude and shows a failure to provide good Customer Service.  That's what I got as the point of this thread ....hopefully others agree.........

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@lolakimono wrote:

I hope this is really about the decline of Macy's CS and not a dig at those who are non-native speakers of English.

@lolakimono 

For me, its certainly not meant as a dig at those where English is a second language.  It's more of a communication issue where there is no meeting of the minds. Even if English is the primary language sometimes its difficult for two people to understand and communicate well with each other. The OP mentioned the Reps interrupted and talked over her the entire time while she was trying to explain her situation, and not letting a person finish talking is impolite and rude and shows a failure to provide good Customer Service.  That's what I got as the point of this thread ....hopefully others agree.........

@Spurt Well, if you consider it a dig at a company who hires people who can't speak English enough to carry on a conversation with English speaking customers, then I guess it is.

Whatever.

Honored Contributor

@aroc3435 I DID call the Ohio number, got a nice person who spoke English, who said of course they don't expect you to return broken glass or part of a set and kindly sloved the issue by refunding the prorated amount for the three broken items!

Thanks a bunch for the help and encouragement!  It is much appreciated!  Heart

Respected Contributor

@Sooner  Excellent!  So glad you reached a Macy's representative that was able to offer a common sense solution and happy that I sleuthed out a good phone number for you.

What the rep offered you is precisely the way to retain and maintain good customers.

Best regards,

aroc3435

Washington, DC

Honored Contributor

@aroc3435 wrote:

@Sooner  Excellent!  So glad you reached a Macy's representative that was able to offer a common sense solution and happy that I sleuthed out a good phone number for you.

What the rep offered you is precisely the way to retain and maintain good customers.

Best regards,

aroc3435

Washington, DC

@aroc3435 I was so happy because I told him all I wanted was reimbursed for the broken glasses, which was 3 out of 24 glasses.  We agreed that nobody wanted me to pack and send back 21 glasses.  And for sure not ALL including the broke ones. Or to not be reimbursed.  I even offered to send photos. 

So again, my thanks to you for the encouragement to stick with it!  Woman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sooner wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@lolakimono wrote:

@lolakimono 

@Spurt Well, if you consider it a dig at a company who hires people who can't speak English enough to carry on a conversation with English speaking customers, then I guess it is.

Whatever.

@Sooner 

Im so happy to hear that you got the situation cleared up. But I think you quoted the wrong person regarding the language issue---

lolakimono wrote:

I hope this is really about the decline of Macy's CS and not a dig at those who are non-native speakers of English

I clearly indicated that's NOT what I got from this thread...

"For me, its certainly not meant as a dig at those where English is a second language.  

And then I indicated there was a lack of good Customer Service for interrupting....Please re-read the first sentence of my post....Sorry if there was a misunderstanding of what I was trying to say...  Have a good day! 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@aroc3435 I DID call the Ohio number, got a nice person who spoke English, who said of course they don't expect you to return broken glass or part of a set and kindly sloved the issue by refunding the prorated amount for the three broken items!

Thanks a bunch for the help and encouragement!  It is much appreciated!  Heart

SMH.

Respected Contributor

With so much CS being outsourced overseas, the communication is challenging and if one uses any colloquial speech, it gets comical. Trying to explain anything the least bit complicated is usually frustrating for both me and the rep, and it embarrasses me to have the rep repeat themselves. 

The customer is not always right any longer. I am fully in agreement that rude, belligerent customers or those who refuse to follow store policy should not be catered to, but I've been seeing a new level of not caring about repeat business.