Valued Contributor

If you take a nude photo, and post it you better be willing to live with the fact if it ever becomes public, which it always seem to do... for the pictures that were "taken" without the knowledge of the ladies is unforgivable. It doesn't matter how much "in love" you and your boyfriend are. People break up all the time and even the nicest guy can turn into a you know what after the romance cools. With social media being in our lives for so many years now I just can't understand some people are so stupid, yes, I said it stupid! It's like driving after you've been drinking. You know it's wrong, and do it anyways, and then get pulled over and get a DUI, would you feel sorry for those people? Women need to start thinking smarter... because once it's out on the internet, it's there FOREVER!!! 

Frequent Contributor

Female veteran here. First let me say i love the military and am very proud of the 10 years active duty i served, HOWEVER this kind of BS has been going on forever. It needs to stop!! Taking racy pics of yourself, smart prolly not but WHO CARES. That does not give someone the right (and someone who you may have to depend on to save your life or vice versa some day) to violate you that way.  Not to mention the violent, threatening comments that accompanied the pics. 

When i was AD sexual harrasment happened it still does, and this scandal falls under that. There arent too many women who served who were not subject to some sort of sexual subjugation at some point. 

I really hope people look at it that way. Saying its on the women because they may have consented to pics being taken but not posted, is the same as the days when  saying hey her skirt was short, she smiled at me, etc which offenders used as what they saw as an appropriate response to sexual harrasment, We need to move forward away from this seemingly accepted behavior. The commanders need to do their job!!!

Honored Contributor

@SPACKLE

Thank you for your service ... and your insights on this subject.    

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it is political.

Honored Contributor

spackley wrote:

Female veteran here. First let me say i love the military and am very proud of the 10 years active duty i served, HOWEVER this kind of BS has been going on forever. It needs to stop!! Taking racy pics of yourself, smart prolly not but WHO CARES. That does not give someone the right (and someone who you may have to depend on to save your life or vice versa some day) to violate you that way.  Not to mention the violent, threatening comments that accompanied the pics. 

When i was AD sexual harrasment happened it still does, and this scandal falls under that. There arent too many women who served who were not subject to some sort of sexual subjugation at some point. 

I really hope people look at it that way. Saying its on the women because they may have consented to pics being taken but not posted, is the same as the days when  saying hey her skirt was short, she smiled at me, etc which offenders used as what they saw as an appropriate response to sexual harrasment, We need to move forward away from this seemingly accepted behavior. The commanders need to do their job!!!

Thank you for your service, @SPACKLE, and for your eloquent post which bears repeating.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@SPACKLE Thank you for your service and your comments.

This type of culture in our military will continue as long as the men in it (and it is run by mostly men) have certain attitudes and look the other way. I'm thankful for the men who don't do that, but it seems they're still fighting an uphill battle.

Women have so much to contribute to our military, and it's beyond sad that any woman would not want to join the military because of these situations. Or they leave because of them.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

I just wonder which generation of women will realize how much power they have and just take control.Men are actually the weaker gender.

Respected Contributor

As long as you have women who defend Men for bad behaviour there will be no change. They look the other way or blame the victim the military is just one of many Gov't as well as private sector institutions that do this and get supported by women. 

Esteemed Contributor

Well put. 

MARRIED couples divorce and any questionable photos are often shared too. 

My husband, now since retired, would get resume's from females and some males with nude photos of the applicants.  Needless to say, they were disgarded and not considered for the job. 

@cactusjack wrote:

If you take a nude photo, and post it you better be willing to live with the fact if it ever becomes public, which it always seem to do... for the pictures that were "taken" without the knowledge of the ladies is unforgivable. It doesn't matter how much "in love" you and your boyfriend are. People break up all the time and even the nicest guy can turn into a you know what after the romance cools. With social media being in our lives for so many years now I just can't understand some people are so stupid, yes, I said it stupid! It's like driving after you've been drinking. You know it's wrong, and do it anyways, and then get pulled over and get a DUI, would you feel sorry for those people? Women need to start thinking smarter... because once it's out on the internet, it's there FOREVER!!! 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Esteemed Contributor

Gloria Alred is involved so this is quite a scandal.  The ladies didn't get paid for their 'work', so now they want some money from the military, AKA, the government. 

Men will even slander a female if she wasn't in photos and she denied a request or two for a date or if she doesn't have any interest in a male.  They will spread the word that she's a sl*t, a hore, etc., which is all bunk. 

Those female marines elected to have their photos taken.  They were not children either nor clueless about the world.  Seems they have themselves to blame.  I don't like that their photos were shared but that is what males do.  I don't like that they were threatened either as it reminds me of the past when se*ual harassment was common place.  Women/females have to stop being dirty girls - period. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust