Honored Contributor

@Reever wrote:

So happy to learn of this news Mesmerelda. But why was my letter ignored by the corporation ? They didn't have the decency to reply? Also why does it take 5 years to do this?  Perhaps my letter did convince the CEO to make a change ?

Yeah, I'm sure it was your letter that convinced him (where's the eyeroll emoji when you need it?).  Major changes don't happen overnight.  To begin with, Mars manufactures a lot more candy and food items than just M & M's.  The committment by Grant Reid (Mars) isn't specific to M & M's alone, but eliminiating the artifcial coloring from their entire human food portfolio.  That said, they have to find resources/companies who can supply massive quantities of natural food colorings in an ongoing, uninterupted basis.  Once they find them, I'm sure there are procedures for bids or presentations by these companies, to entice Mars' business.  Then the formulators go to work testing batches of color combinations until they get it right - lots of testing and retesting batches for every food and candy item they make to 1) make sure the color is spot on, 2) to make sure the new coloring "works" in its application, and 3) to make sure the flavor of the food or candy item isn't negatively affected.  Keep in mind, too, that with M &M's alone there are all the specialty holiday colors that also have to be formulated.  Then there's the internal business and accounting type systems that have to be converted or adjusted.  Once all that is in place, they still have to get the various manufacturing facilities converted.  I don't know what that entails, but I bet it's somewhere along the lines of a major cleaning and sanitation of all machinery, purging out any of the old artificial dyes and readying them for the new natural ones.  I bet there's probably some kind of testing there too, so the food product can legally be recognized as being free from artificial colors.  If Mars would go to the trouble and major expense to rid their products of artificial dyes, you can be darn sure they're going to let the public know so that means new packaging designs for all of the candy and human food items.  Let's not forget TV and print advertising too.  So yeah, it could reasonably take a very long time to get that all done.

Esteemed Contributor

@Reever wrote:

So happy to learn of this news Mesmerelda. But why was my letter ignored by the corporation ? They didn't have the decency to reply? Also why does it take 5 years to do this?  Perhaps my letter did convince the CEO to make a change ?

Who do you think you are @Reever?

*Call Tyrone*
Respected Contributor

I like the colors the way they are, although I'm on the fence about the light blue. I almost cried when the pulled the red ones at the height of the #2 scare. Irony was, they never used #2 in those candies. 

Can't wait till the OP learns about all the candies that are shellacked (M&Ms being an exception)--candy corn, Goobers, Easter candy, etc.--and where that comes from. It's natural, but . . . 

Honored Contributor

Ok...........

Respected Contributor

image.pnghttp___vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net_mms_images_d_d7_1511796_643578122371504_878945907_n.png_revision_latest_scale-to-width_495_cb=20140213122704

Green : Now maybe all of you will leave me alone. 

I am no good for you. 

Me: Not a chance! I love you!Smiley Very Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@Reever wrote:

I am disgusted with Mars, the parent company who makes M&M candies. I wrote a letter and it was ignored. My complaint stems from the unnecessary use of dyes. In my opinion natural juices should be used to color the candies, for example Blueberry, Kale, Carrot, Beet etc. there is no need to ingest these potentially dangerous dyes. I am not buying these candies again.

You expressed your opinion.  What more do you want?

Not every letter gets a reply, and replies from big companies don't always come quickly.  I'm not sure what you would want a reply to say, anyway.  That they're going to make changes because you're unhappy?  That they've never considered other options and you are now their hero?

If your intent was to tell them how you feel and why, then you've done that.  Being "disgusted" because you didn't get a reply is a bit over-the-top.  I suspect you wouldn't have been happy even if they had replied, unless of course they said exactly what you wanted them to say.  If this is is such an issue for you, then don't buy M&M's and just move on.

If only all problems could be solved so easily!

Esteemed Contributor

@makena wrote:

@Reever wrote:

You seem very demanding.

I agree.

And that may explain why there hasn't been a reply.  

Esteemed Contributor

@blackhole99 wrote:

@Reever wrote:

I am disgusted with Mars, the parent company who makes M&M candies. I wrote a letter and it was ignored. My complaint stems from the unnecessary use of dyes. In my opinion natural juices should be used to color the candies, for example Blueberry, Kale, Carrot, Beet etc. there is no need to ingest these potentially dangerous dyes. I am not buying these candies again.

They will probably use your idea and not give you any credit for it. I don't buy M&Ms ,but I would if they made the candy coating with vegetable dyes.

I really doubt that.  They've certainly considered all kinds of alternatives for many years.  This is hardly "her idea".

Esteemed Contributor

I love  ❤️ M&M'S just the way they are.They're an iconic candy.I grew up eating them along with Hershey bars & Nestle Crunch bars.Once in a while I still treat myself & indulge. I personally hope it never changes👏🏻.

As consumers we all have a choice .We vote with our wallets💵.

Honored Contributor

@NYC Susan wrote:

@Reever wrote:

You expressed your opinion.  What more do you want?

Not every letter gets a reply, and replies from big companies don't always come quickly.  I'm not sure what you would want a reply to say, anyway.  That they're going to make changes because you're unhappy?  That they've never considered other options and you are now their hero?

If your intent was to tell them how you feel and why, then you've done that.  Being "disgusted" because you didn't get a reply is a bit over-the-top.  I suspect you wouldn't have been happy even if they had replied, unless of course they said exactly what you wanted them to say.  If this is is such an issue for you, then don't buy M&M's and just move on.

If only all problems could be solved so easily!

Um...you might want to read some of this poster's other threads and comments. A light bulb may come on. Just sayin'. 

Life without Mexican food is no life at all