Respected Contributor

I am disgusted with Mars, the parent company who makes M&M candies. I wrote a letter and it was ignored. My complaint stems from the unnecessary use of dyes. In my opinion natural juices should be used to color the candies, for example Blueberry, Kale, Carrot, Beet etc. there is no need to ingest these potentially dangerous dyes. I am not buying these candies again.

Valued Contributor

Okay.  You have every right to vote with your wallet. I have a feeling it will be rather like a grain of sand on a beach though.

“The price of light is less than the cost of darkness.”
– Arthur C. Nielsen
Respected Contributor

Come now...don't mess with the best candy out there! 

Trusted Contributor

They are removing artificial coloring. They announced it last year.  Said it was a huge undertaking and would take about 5 years to do so.

Mars to remove artificial colors from M&M's and other candy

"Eliminating all artificial colors from our human food portfolio is a massive undertaking, and one that will take time and hard work to accomplish," said Grant Reid, Mars president and CEO. "Our consumers are the boss and we hear them. If it's the right thing to do for them, it's the right thing to do for Mars."

Respected Contributor

So happy to learn of this news Mesmerelda. But why was my letter ignored by the corporation ? They didn't have the decency to reply? Also why does it take 5 years to do this?  Perhaps my letter did convince the CEO to make a change ?

Respected Contributor

@Reever wrote:

So happy to learn of this news Mesmerelda. But why was my letter ignored by the corporation ? They didn't have the decency to reply? Also why does it take 5 years to do this?  Perhaps my letter did convince the CEO to make a change ?

You seem very demanding.

Honored Contributor

I e-mailed the company who manufactures ICE drinks and asked them to not use red dye or at least cut down on their use of it.  I doesn't agree with me at all.

They wrote back the next day and said it is FDA approved and considered safe and they will continue to use it.

i guess we either buy food with dye or don't.  Our choice,

Honored Contributor

If you are eating junky candy like M&M's....a little food coloring is not going to hurt you....I would worry more  about the sugar.  Best just not to eat them at all....have some blueberries or strawberries or just a nice apple. 

Honored Contributor

To be honest, there is a reason they ignored your suggestion.  Red M&M's colored with beets??????

Valued Contributor

Hahahaha...

OMG too funny...

Worry about the coloring but not the chocolate and sugar content , like another poster said..

Just eat a carrot, unless the color orange might worry you....