Honored Contributor

I have had my land line with century link for a long long time.  We now have out internet, land line and caller ID with them for $80 a month.  I will always have one as long as they are available. 

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

We still have our landline. We can't get rid of it. The telemarketers would be unable to get ahold of us. Can't have that happen. In about 3 days we got 27 calls. 

lol

Respected Contributor

We moved into temporary housing 10 years ago when our new house was being completed.  It didn't have a landline and we didn't miss it at all .  In fact, we loved not having one.   So, we didn't get one when we moved to the new house.   Well, during one period we had a bundled triple play with Xfinity but we just left the phone in the box.   

Respected Contributor

We have maintained our LL (though technically it is thru our bundled cable package with Xfinity).  Personally I would like to go back to our previous provider, Windstream, as we were always assured of service.  With Xfinity, if there is a power outage you lose LL unless you purchase a battery for your modem, which we did.

The reason we keep it is because our cell service and reception is hit and miss, and also because we are dinosaurs. 

I think a lot of people here when responding don't take into consideration that services vary across our country.  We all don't have the same capabilities and services available.

It wasn't until 4 years ago that our road got cable. We don't have water service so we all have wells.  We do have sewage available only because the authority needed to get from point A to point B so they came up our country road to make the connection.  If they didn't need to make that connection we would still not have sewage service available.

Honored Contributor

We are required to have a landline phone in order to operate the security gates in our community. If someone comes up to the gate they push the button beside our name and it rings our phone then we dial our code # and the gate opens for them. Since we have to have a landline phone anyway , we tend to use it primarily and only use our cell phones when we are out or for texting.

Honored Contributor

Who wants to keep cells constantly charged up, buying new batteries, having to update to the latest 'G'  system whether U want to or not.

We had 3G on our for emergency only Tracfone, then, we had to go to the 4G, go thru on that rigmarow with new phone, calling in to activate and transfer minutes, blah, blah

I"m afraid if I have an emergency whether health related or home invasion, suspicious folks at the door, the cell would be dead then your sol.

You don't have time to find the phone, turn on the phone, wait for it to fire up to where U can use it then if you have to call 911 they can't find you as fast as they can on a landline.

I want 911 NOW may be a matter of life and death. Husband works at a place where he has to take calls to fill orders and he can't understand half the people who call in because the interference is horrible, calls are dropped, etc.

Keeping my landline till the powers that be , one day will decree we can't have what we want.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I have had my land line with century link for a long long time.  We now have out internet, land line and caller ID with them for $80 a month.  I will always have one as long as they are available. 

@SeaMaiden

We are with Century Link as well, and I wanted to tell  you that our bill was aprox $80 per month for the same services you have listed. 

I called all our services one day a couple of years ago (this one and Direct TV) and negotiated discounts. We are long time customers, always pay on time, and I was able to get my DirecTV down to under $60 per month (granted, we don't have a huge package...don't need or want it) and the Century Link bill down to under $60. And we now have unlimited domestic long distance as well for that price.

They have a lot of discounts available for good customers, I have to call in annually to get them renewed, so I do have to remember when to do that. And sometimes I have to ask to go up the chain of command in customer service to get what I want, but just thought you might like to know that these types of services can be had for much less than what they 'sell' them for. 

I simply call and tell them what a great customer I have been (LOL), and I'm looking for a way to lower my bill without loosing any services, as I'm considering suspending the service if I can't get the bill down some. I'm always kind and pleasant, inquire about what discounts might be available. 

With DirecTV I usually have to go up the chain quite far, then ask to be transferred to the department to have my service stopped. It's amazing how quickly someone comes on the line to give me that $20 a month discount for the next year!

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

We still have our landline. We can't get rid of it. The telemarketers would be unable to get ahold of us. Can't have that happen. In about 3 days we got 27 calls. 

Please get a call blocker box. Q and HSN sell them one time cost of 60 or so it will change your life. NO monthly charges, easy to install, once you block a call it will never come in again. I bought 2 and my sister one. She pulled a muscle one time getting to the phone just to learn it was a sales call. She was in pain for months. Won't happen to her again thanks to me. LOL

Honored Contributor

DH and I still have a landline WITH a corded phone.  LOL

The main reason we still have the landline is because our cable, internet and phone are bundled together.  If I get rid of the phone, our monthly bill would actually increase by about $70.00 because we lose our bundled price.

Our cordless phone broke and I'm not spending money to buy another because we never use the landline so we just have an old corded phone. No answering machine, no voicemail.

Honored Contributor

We moved across country 7 years ago and DH and I each have our own iPhone.  We never got around to putting in a land line.  Haven't missed it at all.... Woman Happy

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*