Esteemed Contributor

Re: Is this odd?

[ Edited ]

We have several neighbors who love to sit in their garages with friends and family for hours, sometimes most of the day and well into the night. They have an ice chest, fan or portable a/c unit and a tv or radio on. Sometimes they are just chatting. I don’t know what it is about the garage but I don’t mind them out there. I feel it’s our version of block watch. 

Honored Contributor

Like many upthread, I read ‘meditating’ immediately.

Fresh air, peak of dawn...lovely.

Esteemed Contributor

@luvzchiz wrote:

@mistriTsquirrel. I always love seeing your pictures of squirrels.  This one especially looks like the plump ones in my yard.  Of course, we feed them!

On behalf of your local squirrels, I thank you, @luvzchiz.  You are a good squirrel friend.  Smiley Happy  Heart

Image result for thank you squirrel

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Respected Contributor

I agree you should listen to your intuition and be aware.  However, I do agree with waving at him or chatting with him about the curse of not being able to sleep.  

If it is nothing to worry about, you will allay your concern.  If there is something to be concerned about, it puts him on notice that you are paying attention to him.  

Honored Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

MYOB.

It is her business.

It is her neighborhood, her safety and that of her community that might be in jeopardy. 

Not all mentally ill people, sex offenders, and future/current criminals live somewhere else. Sometimes they live right next door. 

I think taking note of his patterns and behaviors is smart and safe. 

MYOB in this case would be not gossiping around the neighborhood about this at this time, not reporting it to authorities etc. MYOB does not mean to not notice things, and have feelings/questions about their intent. That would be DUMB not MYOB

Honored Contributor

If your so curious ,take him a cup of coffee ,you and he is up thatWoman LOL early.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

@Shorty2U

If you don’t have light(s) brightening up the front area, may be it’s time to do so.

For your peace of mind, how about a medium to large dog?  By walking the dog, you may get to meet and greet your neighbors and establish “ties” to the neighborhood.  You would be seen as a part of the community and not just the house across the street.

Here is one place that I would trust my instincts...it is creepy.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

@Scooby Doo wrote:

My neighbor across the street from me does the same thing but during the day.  He's a widower, about 83, with nothing to do.  He goes outside to the front patio and stares at my side of the street.  Then he goes inside for a while, then comes out again.  I consider him my own private neighborhood watch.  He's been doing it for years.

I tick him off though when I go outside to mow the grass in shorts and a t-shirt with no bra.  He goes in the house and slams the door behind him.  lol  Maybe he thinks I should be wearing a prarie skirt and bonnet.

AND YOU DO THIS ,TO SHOCK HIM.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Trusted Contributor

I would say meditating too or just enjoying the peace and quiet.

You sound sad that most of your neighbors don't talk to each other. That doesn't mean you can't be the one to get it started. Stop over some weekend with a small house warming gift and get the conversation started. They could be perfectly nice people.

They might be thinking the same thing you did when you moved into the neighborhood. Wondering why no one welcomed them. Maybe better than a house warming gift bring someting for the pup. A nice new toy for his new home.

Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

What I would do is, get a flood light (maybe off the garage) and direct the lamp his way to 'light him up'.  And as soon as he comes out, turn it on.  Every morning.

I would want him to be aware that your aware of him staring at your house.

No, there's nothing illegal about what he's doing as far as sitting there, but there's nothing illegal of you making it known to him that you know that he's doing it.

Purposefully directing a flood light from your property to illuminate 

aka ‘light him up’ in his front yard?  Wow. That’s infringing on his property.

And just mean-spirited. 

Illegal? No, but the police might be called to redirect the lights.

And of course, the ill will among neighbors would be much, much 

worse than him just sitting there.