Trusted Contributor

Re: Is There Anything You Collect?

@occasionalrainI started collecting nuts I suppose the same way people collect seashells from the sea shore!  I would often visit a place, wanting a souvenir of some kind of the place, but didn't want anything "touristy".  Seems that places I visited always had some kind of nut-bearing tree, so I started bringing a nut back home with me! 

Honored Contributor

I kept Nancy Drew and Barbie items from childhood, even adding things as I got older. Now I want to get rid of all but just a few of them. Have to prepare for a simpler and downsized life.

Honored Contributor

Ephemera and dishes. I need a second china cabinet. 

Honored Contributor

Those early Barbies might be worth a lot of money if they are in good condition @AuntG!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

I started collecting rings in 2000--all kinds.  My son went to college and I had more time.

I gave a few sentimental ones to my grandaughter and my son's first wife. This year I will give all the gold ones to my son's second wife.  She really appreciated the first lot I gave her.

Since we retired and moved to a casual city, I just wear silver often with opaque stones. 

Trusted Contributor

I don't know if you would call what I have a collection, but I like to buy art done by local artists. I don't have the originals, I have framed prints. And when I go on vacation I like to buy a framed print by a local artist from that area. One of my favorites is of the pelican at the pier in Naples, FL. Above my mantle I have a collage of all the famous sites ( some historical) in Pittsburgh. I have a print of the Carnegie Library of Homestead that the library sold as a fundraiser about ten years ago. My father in law used to hang out there when he as alive. My daughter just got me a print of the church in my hometown that we attended when I was younger. So I try to get ones that mean something to me.

Honored Contributor

I have quite a lot of Nutcrackers.  But they only come out at Christmas.  I first got a small one at Christmas when I was probably about 8 or 9 and have been fascinated with them ever since.  I used to collect things with ladybugs but then that got of hand and I had to stop.  People found out I loved them and were giving me every conceivable thing they saw with them on it!  The specialness (is this a word?) wore off and I gave most of the stuff away.  I still think they are very cute but no longer collect these things.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Trusted Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@occasionalrain 

Not really, things just seem to pile up!

hckynut 

@hckynut    I have to agree.  Things just pile up or they go out the door with the grandkids....which is fine with me.  
   One thing I did hold onto this year were specific newspapers with historic headlines and pictures. We sure had our share....My one granddaughter likes to look at them and wants me to keep them for her.  I also have a small collection of newspapers from the 60's too from the Kennedy era.   

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

My mom collected high-dollar cut glass, art glass, Fenton glass, Depression glass....  and now I'm stuck with all of it.   Thousands of individual pieces and complete sets.   

If anyone out there is interested, let me know.  I've been trying to sell it for the last 10 years!  

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Trusted Contributor

@NEvans2 wrote:

I don't know if you would call what I have a collection, but I like to buy art done by local artists. I don't have the originals, I have framed prints. And when I go on vacation I like to buy a framed print by a local artist from that area. One of my favorites is of the pelican at the pier in Naples, FL. Above my mantle I have a collage of all the famous sites ( some historical) in Pittsburgh. I have a print of the Carnegie Library of Homestead that the library sold as a fundraiser about ten years ago. My father in law used to hang out there when he as alive. My daughter just got me a print of the church in my hometown that we attended when I was younger. So I try to get ones that mean something to me.

@NEvans2    When I lived in Pittsburgh back in the 70's I collected some really nice original local artist oil paintings from a young man who started the starving artist sites.

I still have 2 of those paintings over my couch today.  I wish I had some of the historical sites of Pittsburgh.  I actually went to art classes at Carnegie Museum every Saturday when I was in high school.  It was a great experience and gave me a true appreciation of art.   Following high school I went to college and studied commercial art.