Honored Contributor

10 year old with rare post COVID syndrome undergoes four amputations.

[ Edited ]

A 10 year old Michigan boy had his left leg and both hands amputated on Monday. Dae-Shun Jamison already had the amputation of his right leg. He had suffered from a rare 

syndrome that can follow COVID infection in children. The syndrome is called Multisystem Inflammatory Syndrome in Children (MIS-C). Michigan has had less than 80 cases. Less than five Michigan children have died of the syndrome. It can happen in children that are otherwise healthy. There have been 2060 cases and 30 deaths from the syndrome in the US so far, but still more cases are under investigation. Doctors still have many questions about the syndrome. Children that get it have recovered from mild or moderate COVID infection. Little Dae-Shun had COVID along with the rest of his family months ago. He was asymptomatic. Two weeks after his recovery (I don't know how this is known either since he was asymptomatic) his mother noticed him lying down a lot  and complaining of a headache.The mother took him to a doctor or hospital (unknown to me) where he had a high fever. In December Dae-Shun underwent procedures for saving his legs and in January he suffered from blood loss. He had been put on a ventilator, dialysis and an ECMO machine. On January 15th he had his right leg amputated. Then he had the other three amputations on February 22nd. The next step for Dae-Shun includes therapy and prosthetics. He seems to be quite a remarkable little guy, trying to feign a smile for the cameras in this photo. My heart goes out to him and his family. There is a Go Fund Me for him if anyone is interested. 
His mom can't work right now because she is with him so often. She also has another child.

Signs of MIS-C : after children test positive for the virus can include fever, abdominal pain, vomiting, diarrhea, neck pain, rash, bloodshot eyes, headache and fatigue.

• Dae-Shun Jamison undergoes rehabilitation therapy. (Courtesy Mary Free Bed Rehabilitation Hospital)

Honored Contributor

Re: 10 year old with rare post COVID syndrome undergoes four amputations.

How dreadful for this poor child and his family!

My heart breaks when learning of this sort of news.  God be with him every step of the way.

Esteemed Contributor

That poor child. Look at his smile. He is amazing. God Bless him and the family. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

What are the common signs and symptoms of MIS-C?

Signs and symptoms include persistent fever, inflammation (based on laboratory test results), and evidence of organ dysfunction or shock.

Although different presentations have been described, common symptoms include:

• Kawasaki disease-like features: conjunctivitis, red eyes; red or swollen hands and feet; rash; red cracked lips, swollen glands. In some children, coronary artery enlargement and/or aneurysms have been described. Some children presenting with Kawasaki disease-like syndrome have been noted to have a broader age range and presentation with more gastrointestinal (abdominal pain or diarrhea) and neurologic (headaches/meningitis) manifestations.
  • Gastrointestinal symptoms such as abdominal pain, diarrhea, nausea/vomiting (patients have presented with colitis, hepatitis, and questionable appendicitis).
  • Toxic shock syndrome-like features with hemodynamic instability and poor heart function.Cytokine storm/macrophage activation or hyperinflammatory features.
  • Thrombosis or acute kidney injury.
  • Shortness of breath suggestive of congestive heart failure or pulmonary embolism.
  • Respiratory symptoms typically reported in adults with COVID-19 may not be present in pediatric patients with MIS-C.

American Academy of Pediatrics

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwj1zdjGiIHvAhVSQ80KHSc1Al4Q...

Respected Contributor

It hurts my heart to see such a gorgeous innocent young soul, go through such a horrific life changing experience. 

How can a smile be on this face I ask myself?

How?

Is it faith?

is it love?

is it acceptance?

is it brave?

what?

how? 

I mean I am in awe of this child, in every way.

I know I could not be nearly as grown, nor as positive. I am a certified baby.

I hope this is not the last we hear of this lil one, I hope Dae-Shun blazes many trails and show us many examples of greatness in the years to come.

Honored Contributor

Bless his young heart, this is just devastating.

Let's all remember to thank 'science' for so expeditiously unraveling the mysteries of this virus... And no I'm sorry, I don't care if I'm being 'reasonable' or not. Too many lives have been devastated by this and we still haven't got a clue what it's about or why folks react in such widely divergent ways. Fast-tracking vaccines was a first step but now it's time we got some answers and some effective treatments.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MoonieBaby wrote:

It hurts my heart to see such a gorgeous innocent young soul, go through such a horrific life changing experience. 

How can a smile be on this face I ask myself?

How?

Is it faith?

is it love?

is it acceptance?

is it brave?

what?

how? 

I mean I am in awe of this child, in every way.

I know I could not be nearly as grown, nor as positive. I am a certified baby.

I hope this is not the last we hear of this lil one, I hope Dae-Shun blazes many trails and show us many examples of greatness in the years to come.

@MoonieBaby @Me too. A poster asked if anyone responded to news stories with tears. I guess this is one that is bringing me to feel so much for this little guy with that smile. Heartbreaking. 

Respected Contributor

@Mindy D 

Glad I'm not the only one Mindy.

I cry when watching the news - as though the stories being told were about my own family.

I feel so bad sometimes I ugly-cry and have a hard time reeling it in.

It's rough being this way.

I want to be tough and hard, and heartless and like teflon...but it's just not in me.

I want to only care about animals - but people sneak their way into my heart anyway...it's a curse, this being human thing!

Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

What are the common signs and symptoms of MIS-C?

Signs and symptoms include persistent fever, inflammation (based on laboratory test results), and evidence of organ dysfunction or shock.

Although different presentations have been described, common symptoms include:

• Kawasaki disease-like features: conjunctivitis, red eyes; red or swollen hands and feet; rash; red cracked lips, swollen glands. In some children, coronary artery enlargement and/or aneurysms have been described. Some children presenting with Kawasaki disease-like syndrome have been noted to have a broader age range and presentation with more gastrointestinal (abdominal pain or diarrhea) and neurologic (headaches/meningitis) manifestations.
  • Gastrointestinal symptoms such as abdominal pain, diarrhea, nausea/vomiting (patients have presented with colitis, hepatitis, and questionable appendicitis).
  • Toxic shock syndrome-like features with hemodynamic instability and poor heart function.Cytokine storm/macrophage activation or hyperinflammatory features.
  • Thrombosis or acute kidney injury.
  • Shortness of breath suggestive of congestive heart failure or pulmonary embolism.
  • Respiratory symptoms typically reported in adults with COVID-19 may not be present in pediatric patients with MIS-C.

American Academy of Pediatrics

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwj1zdjGiIHvAhVSQ80KHSc1Al4Q...

My heart goes out to this brave young man @Mindy D .

My son had Kawasaki's Disease 36/years ago at 7 weeks old with subsequent coronary and axiliary aneurysms. We nearly lost him more than once to sepsis and heart disease. The cause is still unknown. I hope that this new syndrome is investigated and the cause found why Covid 19 is causing it. I highly suspect this children's syndrome is a variant of Kawasaki's Disease.

Respected Contributor

Blessings.