Valued Contributor

Use an inversion table.  I go to a chiro and use theirs.  

Honored Contributor

Not whole lot we can do about it I'm afraid

Esteemed Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

I never used those top shelves in cabinets.  I can only reach the first two and even the second shelf is a "stretch" - ha, no pun intended.

What always got to me would be shopping for clothes-trying to reach up at that rack.  Why oh why did they put the shorter and/or smaller sizes on the high rack like that? 

Online shopping easier.

@Cakers3  Do you know about those hooks on poles that are located in the corners of the clothing store floor? I use them all the time. I wish they had them at the grocery store.

Only Hangers 62 in. x 0.5 in. x 0.5 in. Hanger Retriever Reach Pole Hanger Hooker Chrome Rod with Wooden Handle

Esteemed Contributor

I'm now almost 80 yrs young - and in high school I was 4'11 & 3/4. So I always considered that was my height. A year ago, I went to the doctor and the female weighed me and took my height - and she said, "you're 4'10". I was shocked and upset. The doctor said I had osteo-porosis and never knew I had it. I also have a herniated disk from car accidents --- and when I walk to the community mailbox, I've noticed that I'm close to the ground.

I have a small plastic stepstool in my kitchen by the sink to reach the shelves. another plastic stepstool in my garage when I have to reach something in the built-in cabinets. I have a larger 2-step plastic ladder in my walk-in closet in my master bedroom -- since I can't reach the top clothing rods and shelves. I have a built-in desk in my upstairs hallway and a plastic stepstool beneath it. In the upstairs hall bathroom, there's a window and screen above the tub - and I used the stepstool to clean the window/screen and the ledge right beneath it. I just received from Walmart a heavy rubber stepstool - 2 levels with an opening in the top, which makes it easy to move around. Haven't used it yet - but it will go in the bathtub so that I could clean the high window/screen/ledge. I was always afraid that I'd fall off the stool and crash into the fragile glass doors on the tub.

I keep wishing that I were 5'3".

Unfortunately, I had short parents.

Honored Contributor

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

I never used those top shelves in cabinets.  I can only reach the first two and even the second shelf is a "stretch" - ha, no pun intended.

What always got to me would be shopping for clothes-trying to reach up at that rack.  Why oh why did they put the shorter and/or smaller sizes on the high rack like that? 

Online shopping easier.

@Cakers3  Do you know about those hooks on poles that are located in the corners of the clothing store floor? I use them all the time. I wish they had them at the grocery store.

Only Hangers 62 in. x 0.5 in. x 0.5 in. Hanger Retriever Reach Pole Hanger Hooker Chrome Rod with Wooden Handle

@PA Mom-mom   I used to ask a salesperson to help and they would use that hook.  LOL

It's been a long time since I went clothes shopping in a store.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

I'm glad to see these responses - thanks for the chuckles.   It was a shock for me too when I found I went from 5' 3 1/2"  to  5' 2"     

Thankful I'm not alone!

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Trusted Contributor

I hear you.  I used to be the tall lady that petite older women asked to get things off a high shelf for them.  Now I have to ask if I can't manage to climb up on the lower shelf to reach something.  Smiley Sad

I've lost over 4 inches but scoliosis has a lot to do with that on top of the aging process.