Trusted Contributor

I've Been Stung Two Times in the Last Week

I haven't been stung by a bee since I was five years old.  But, I've been stung two times in the last week---the last time about 30 minutes ago.  I put cold water and now an ice pack on it but can't see the stinger to remove it.

Are bees more prevalent this summer or something?

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Honored Contributor

Re: I've Been Stung Two Times in the Last Week

Can't remember being stung by a honeybee, haven't seen any in years.  My hollys have been without berries for as long.  My Rose of Sharons used to attract a lot of bumblebees, but the past few years, none.  

I was stung once by a bumblebee.  Wow! Did that hurt.  I could feel the "venom" travel up my arm.  Hurt so much, couldn't move my arm.  Got so dizzy thinking I might have to go to the ER.  

While being stung isn't fun, hopefully, this is a sign some honeybees are surviving at least in your area.  

Esteemed Contributor

@wismiss 

Ow!!!

I'm sorry that you got stung.

When I would get stung, my mom would make a paste of meat tenderizer and water to apply to the area.

I hope that you feel better!

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

Interesting.  I'm not outside all that much anymore but I actually haven't seen that many bees yet this year.   I hadn't realized it until just now.

I'm fine with that, as bees (all kinds) TERRIFY me.   Last time I had a bee actually on me I went into shock.

Honored Contributor

Hope you feel better soon. Never been stung by a bee. DH is allergic to them.

When one my sisters was younger she got stung by a bee when she put on a pair of pants mom had just brought in from the clothesline. 

Respected Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

@wismiss 

Ow!!!

I'm sorry that you got stung.

When I would get stung, my mom would make a paste of meat tenderizer and water to apply to the area.

I hope that you feel better!

Your Mom was right! Get a big bottle of Adolph's Meat tenderizer (or generic) and as SOON as you get stung RUN and make a paste and rub it in good. It has an enzyme in it that breaks down the protein in the venom. It works. I have hummingbird feeders up and get stung sometimes when filling them up and not paying attention.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Bees are our friends, we need them, finally here in my yard this summer i have seen honey bees ,on clover,as a kid way back when ,we has lots of honey bees.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@wismiss wrote:

I haven't been stung by a bee since I was five years old.  But, I've been stung two times in the last week---the last time about 30 minutes ago.  I put cold water and now an ice pack on it but can't see the stinger to remove it.

Are bees more prevalent this summer or something?

@wismiss  I don't envy you being stung, but I do envy you your bees. Unfortunately, we have more wasp than bees in my area, which, is a bad sign because wasp will kill entire bee hives.  I see more wasp each summer which is concerning to me. 

And, we all know, when the bees are gone, we won't last long.  

Esteemed Contributor

i haven't seen many birds...or bees.....or people!

Esteemed Contributor

@wismiss  If it was a honey bee, that is a good sign. We are seeing a slow comeback of honey bees after a dearth. But honey bees don't sting unless you step on them or otherwise trap them. Ground bees, yellow jackets, wasps and hornets can sting for no apparent reason. I am usually barefoot in the summer and have learned since a toddler to look down at the clover flowers in the lawn to avoid bees. I was stung a few times each year until I was a teenager. It's not the pain of the sting, it's the itching that occurs for the next few days. I remember going to school with just a sock on one foot because of a bee sting.