Esteemed Contributor

Re: I Am Getting Rid of Things That Annoy Me!

I will watch Carlin's stuff video. Looking forward to it. As I read through your answers, I remembered I unfriended over 60 FB friends recently. People who asked to be friends and basically, I have zero interaction with. For some reason, that just felt good. 

As mentioned, our neighborhood garage sale begins tomorrow. We're also clearing inlaws home in prep for home sale. They moved into active adult center, 1 bedroom. I'm over it now, but they walked away and left my hubs to manage their 3 bedroom home. They left stuff in fridge, pantry, all drawers - only taking what they needed for apartment. They signed home over to sons. Speaking of stuff, it's been a game. They had so much wall decor, kitchen and knick knack stuff no one wants but they don't want to part with it. If hubs tells them he's donating furniture, etc., they drive over to the house and fret about it. They love their stuff. Hubs has been going over to vacant home in the dark of night and picking up things to put in garage sale. They don't miss a thing this way and he'll put proceeds in their bank account. It's a great reminder to me not to love my stuff too much. It's a weird attachment to objects. I know it's memories - but bottom line - it's material stuff.      

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

@hckynut

First off let me say everytime I see your screen name I think of the "wonderful endless memories" I have of my boys playing ice hockey from age 4 and still are ages 34 & 39.  Both boys coach youth hockey teams.  As a young mom & dad the only way to afford the fees I (we) worked the snack bar to get "ice credits" and eventually served on the BOD for NJ Youth Hockey.   Funny thing 1 kid diehard Flyers fan and the other a Penguins fan🤷‍♀️

Anyway, I digress. I enjoy reading your posts as they are always

"on point" for the topic🙂🙂 Yes, we had the same experience when my mother passed -- oh it was a mess!!!

Honestly, certainly not "hoarder" but what I do have is of no use to them & frankly, lately me neither!😉

I just have everyday useful things but kitchen, holiday & home decor more than I need  -- my spouse is like his kids -- minimal of everything🤷‍♀️.  It's very difficult when the boys are so far away and when they were here, only thing they want a shoebox of pictures!!!

And yes, both our sons are well aware of our intentions.  We discussed this with them prior to our new wills being drawn up.  They also are on my financial documents and are very aware of what is to be done in the case of our deaths.  (They both have copies of everything).

Thank you!

homedecor🙂

Occasional Contributor

I retired last October & just prior to that went thru my closed to purge spring & summer work attire that I wouldn't need anymore.  When the pandemic hit I went thru closets, dressers, cupboards...well, you get the picture!  Just went thru again having realized what I really don't need.  Yes, it is a great feeling to be rid of stuff.  It's all waiting to go to a donation center/place.  Now if only I could find a place that's accepting things!!!

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee 

Wow, that sounds scary! But, yeah, I can understand that.  The need to start settling things, and if you don't want to leave a mess for your kids, etc.  I know several people my age and older who have actually started giving some of their things away to their kids, grandkids, etc.  They said they wanted to make sure that these things actually got to the right people.  I don't know, some things I still enjoy and want to keep while I'm living!  I think people can wait until after I die!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

I agree!!!  If it doesn't make me happy, bye, bye.  The word simplify very much this last week hit me.  Does it have to do with being inside so much?  Or is it what's in the news?  I really don't know, maybe it's age.  For me, I need to feel lighter (not so pressed down).

It's almost feeling like you can't breathe.  Opressed.  The news about the virus, it's all just so opressive.