Honored Contributor

Re: I Am Getting Rid of Things That Annoy Me!

I live in a constant state of decluttering and organizing.  When I open a drawer, I need to see everything lined up and easily accessible.  The same for closets, cabinets, and drawers.  I don't let mail build up or paperwork pile up.  I have no problem getting rid of anything.  LOL

My husband is a different story.  LOL  We bought some new metal shelving for the garage.  He'll keep the instructions and the boxes.  Why, I have no idea.  

Yesterday, I went through my coffee cups.  I got rid of some odd ones.  I need to tackle one other cabinet and my linen closet, and then I should be good for a while.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Sooner      SIMPLIFY YOUR LIFE !  Sounds like a great idea! I applaud you for doing this. I might start small and do  it myself. 

Esteemed Contributor

Good move!  Some much stuff trails along.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes @Sooner  I agree.  I have deleted email addresses for people I haven't heard from in years even when I've emailed them.  Trying to donate items but having a difficult time finding a place that accepts them.  Having moved several times in the past 2 decades has helped me keep the clutter down.  Each move involved a purge.   Definitely as I get older am simplifying my life.  Keeping husband of 41 years (yesterday) though!!!!

Honored Contributor

@spiderw wrote:

As I get older I realize all the things I thought important in the past aren't any more, mostly material things.  I am trying to purge but with all that I have it is an overwhelming task.

Today I had my first social outing with two close girlfriends since before the quarantine.  To say how uplifting it was to laugh, exchange stories and just be together doesn't cover how happy it made me.  I have many friends and a wonderful family and that is what is important to me more and more.

I'm sure you will feel good as you purge, just keep what is meaningful but it is difficult.  Good luck!

@spiderw What is meaningful gets less difficult as I move along.  We have cleaned out four houses and now are getting the last of them out of our lives.  

It really doesn't mean anything much.  The stuff that is.  It's 99.5 percent the memories that really count, at least for us. 

Honored Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

Yea for @Sooner 

Same thing I did very early after I retired. Knew my income would be much less was part of it. Then, like you  it got to be a pain in the butt. 

I had subscriptions for fitness/running/electronics, and several, other magazines. One got more out of reading them at work on my breaks than I did after I retired. Had other things I preferred than sitting and reading. Besides, my brain was completely full, of what??

hckynut 

@hckynut Yes, it's exactly what you described.  Although we won't talk about what my brain at least is full of!  Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Sooner      SIMPLIFY YOUR LIFE !  Sounds like a great idea! I applaud you for doing this. I might start small and do  it myself. 

@SeaMaiden It is far less painful than decluttering!  LOL!! That is moving away from something and this is moving toward something!  

Try it, you might like it! Woman Wink  Honestly, it was eye opening once I started.  This stuff gets you under it's thumb and you don't even realize it. 

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@SeaMaiden It is far less painful than decluttering!  LOL!! That is moving away from something and this is moving toward something!  

Try it, you might like it! Woman Wink  Honestly, it was eye opening once I started.  This stuff gets you under it's thumb and you don't even realize it. 

@Sooner    I  might start with auto ships I have  that I fear deleting... but I just get tired of trying to keep up with.. soI keep them.  I would LOVE to have NO AUTOSHIPS. 

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden Exactly!  Like autoships!  Magazines I don't really love, memberships I don't care about, library lists I don't need, and on and on!  

I have realized by not going to stores how much I don't NEED to go to stores.  I am only getting what I need now and it is eye opening!  Grocery pickups are super.  You get what you NEED.  You think what you'll need and get it and eat it!  Amazing!  LOL!!!

Honored Contributor

You all are giving me more ideas! Thanks.