Honored Contributor

@pigletsmom wrote:

The toilet paper is the thing that makes the least sense to me. Even if you ended up getting quarantined you could online order stuff. So many people online order that stores are closing yet all of a sudden people are flooding the stores. Maybe people really thought everything would just shut down but I guess that never occurred to me.

Toilet paper is sold out online too, unless you want to buy it on EBay and even that is dubious. Many other staples not available online either.

It's a psychological thing-when people are in circumstances beyond their control they want to feel some measure of control. So they go shopping and hoard items. It feeds on itself, when people see other people doing this they feel they should do it too.

Today I sat outside a closed library to use my phone. Not another person in sight. But non stop people driving up to the book return to return things. The library is closed for the foreseeable future, I wondered if they thought the book police would come after them. Again, it's some measure of routine amidst the chaos. And at least they were doing the right thing, so to speak.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

Just saw this on FB which looks like it came from an agency in Maine.  If you see WIC on an item and can choose another brand, please do so.  People on WIC can't switch to another brand so they will go home empty handed to their kids if the WIC items are out.  

Thought this was a good act of kindness we all could possibly do.

Honored Contributor

Our library is closed and we are not allowed to drop items off. All fines are being waived and they will not be pulling books people placed on hold until  further notice. 

Honored Contributor

The pet food section at my Walmart was looking bare, too. I bought the last box of Milk Bone biscuits in the 10-lb  size. Large bags of dog food were slim pickins. I was shocked.

Honored Contributor

@RetRN  Your post made me wonder about my public library and the book drop situation. I went to their Facebook page and they are encouraging people to keep things, but you can use the book drop as people did today. They are actually keeping the library staffed, I'm sure it's much less than usual.

Obviously I agree with the library being closed but I miss it already. It's a place of calm for me, and I've always loved libraries. I hate to think of them being closed for months.

Honored Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21,I am bummed about this also. I am at the library at least weekly.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

The pet food section at my Walmart was looking bare, too. I bought the last box of Milk Bone biscuits in the 10-lb  size. Large bags of dog food were slim pickins. I was shocked.

People are hoarding pet food too, they're afraid they won't be allowed to go to stores to get it. My state is allowing grocery stores and pharmacies to stay open. My town has a Walmart, I don't know if it's open.

Honored Contributor

I get the TP thing.  There are many things I could make do without but tP is not something I would want to.  Buying  enough to last a several  weeks is no big deal to me and anyone with large families or many people in their HHs would need a large amount.  I hate to grocery shop so I usually get some any time I go to the store.  It's better to have too much than run out.  I cannot control the virus but can make sure I have enough TP!  I don't understand someone buying huge amounts that could last the rest of the year or longer though.

Honored Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

People are hoarding pet food too, they're afraid they won't be allowed to go to stores to get it. My state is allowing grocery stores and pharmacies to stay open. My town has a Walmart, I don't know if it's open.

Well, after reading this I thought I'd place my normal Chewy order a bit earlier.  My dog thanks you both.

Esteemed Contributor

Regarding the whole TP issue.  I live 20 miles or less from P&G's largest manufacturing site in the US.  Up the highway is a warehouse and distributing that has 1.7 million, yes million, square feet.

The kicker, I can't find toilet paper anywhere. I am a few miles away from God knows how many rolls of TP and I'm SOL. No pun intended.

People need to realize it's not going to disappear off the planet.

Unless your last name is Duggar and you have 20 kids you don't need a cartfull of 12 packs of TP.