Honored Contributor

Re: Harassment or Discrimination?

@RoughDraft wrote:

I think I have a great sense of humor...sometimes even dark but it I try to use it here, I'd be banned..  However, I don't see the humor in this cartoon and I'd be willing to bet the cartoonist is a man and the issue might go right over his head.

Also, the poor woman seems to have a stick for an arm!

@RoughDraftAnd no feet. 

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

I feel bad for the members here on these very boards,

who are almost like a little family...they emotionally shared

their stories & how that situation made them feel during

the time & even now.  

And now we get a cartoon making light of the situation.

IMO, it just makes a mockery of all those heartfelt stories

from my sisterhood here in this Community.

I apologize if there’s another meaning to this cartoon which I 

didn’t get the humor.  But in the meantime, maybe it would be

wise to remember we have many #MeToo members here. 

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

I feel bad for the members here on these very boards,

who are almost like a little family...they emotionally shared

their stories & how that situation made them feel during

the time & even now.  

And now we get a cartoon making light of the situation.

IMO, it just makes a mockery of all those heartfelt stories

from my sisterhood here in this Community.

I apologize if there’s another meaning to this cartoon which I 

didn’t get the humor.  But in the meantime, maybe it would be

wise to remember we have many #MeToo members here. 

@sidsmom  A thousand Heart's for you. 

QVC Customer Care

Honored Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

You know, I have heard women complain about NOT being complimented by the boss or a specific person when others have since I was 16 (when I started working beyond babysitting).

I SO get this and yeah, I do find it humorous because it's human nature that I've witnessed and we live in a society that will sue at the drop of a hat. 

Just waiting for it to actually happen.

@SahmIam  Complain how-that they weren't told that they had nice body parts or were not asked for sexual favors or what?

If a male boss "complimented" a co-worker I would find the co-worker complaining that she didn't get the compliment as an immature and childish person.

But hey-jmoymmv

Honored Contributor

@Cakers3  Many things. Some women want attention, no matter what kind it is. Some women think they're all that and a bag of chips when they actually are not; so if someone else gets attention (ANY attention) they get ticked off. The list is ENDLESS.  And yes, it involved the boss but ALSO other employess male AND female who didn't give them the attention they wanted. *shrugs*

Just telling you what I've seen over the decades. It DOES happen whether you like it or not, want to admit to it or not, understand their mind-set or not. That's it, really.

Honored Contributor

Those who find this humerous and "put a stop to it right then and there" are fortunate that the person backed off.

That doesn't always happen when a 115 lb woman is grabbed by a 200 lb. man.

Sometimes they don't back off.  And it doesn't become funny with the passage of time.

Respected Contributor

I can't speak for posters here who "knew or know" other women's proclivities for seeking attention.

The majority of women I worked with were basically concerned with getting through the day and finishing their work load and perhaps occasionally getting recognized for a job well done with a word from the boss (male or female).  

Recognition and decent compensation for doing one's best is not seeking unwarranted attention, or someone's paws on their body parts.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

At least now I know exactly what I dislike about this cartoon. As the OP and a few others have explained, they think that this whole harassment thing is overblown, that handling such situations is a breeze, and that accusers can't be trusted.

So yeah, I hate this cartoon. It plays into general stereotypes and mimimizes, through ridicule, sexual harassment.

@suzyQ3

It reminded me of a person we all know who, when accused by a woman of groping her on an airplane decades ago, said to a large group of people that if he was going to grope someone it wouldn't have been her.

Oh, hahahahahahaha they all responded.

Oh, haha indeed.

@QueenDanceALot  Exactly my point earlier-that there is an awful perception that attractiveness shores up a sexual harassment complaint but the poor woman in that cartoon who obviously is not attractive feels left out; thereby perpetuating the myth that woman want it. 

Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

At least now I know exactly what I dislike about this cartoon. As the OP and a few others have explained, they think that this whole harassment thing is overblown, that handling such situations is a breeze, and that accusers can't be trusted.

So yeah, I hate this cartoon. It plays into general stereotypes and mimimizes, through ridicule, sexual harassment.

@suzyQ3

It reminded me of a person we all know who, when accused by a woman of groping her on an airplane decades ago, said to a large group of people that if he was going to grope someone it wouldn't have been her.

Oh, hahahahahahaha they all responded.

Oh, haha indeed.

@QueenDanceALot  Exactly my point earlier-that there is an awful perception that attractiveness shores up a sexual harassment complaint but the poor woman in that cartoon who obviously is not attractive feels left out; thereby perpetuating the myth that woman want it. 

@Cakers3

And that only sexually provocative women are preyed upon.

"What were you wearing?" was a popular question when a woman dared to tell.