Esteemed Contributor

Have been told that before.  When coupons are only good for specific items clerk must remove them.  Otherwise people would just go around pulling off coupons to use on what they want ...which might be different than intended.  Now you know and will be more careful next time.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

This happened to me in Goodwill. I was so angry I asked for help from the manager.

Think it is lack of training. In our area there are so many signs for help wanted.

No excuse for you being treated this way.

That person that I had the to do with later (few weeks) went to lunch and never came back.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Grocery Store Visit

[ Edited ]

@bcherry01  I can agree that perhaps the store associate used the wrong tone with you, so I can't excuse that.  However, it's possible that store management comes down hard on staff who are lax with honoring removed coupons (or any other concession to customers that may be a slight bend of the store's policies).  Maybe this associate has had this kind of issue before and handled it differently only to be reprimanded by management.  Just saying, there may be another side to the attitude of the associate you would not be aware of.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Grocery Store Visit

[ Edited ]

@bcherry01  - Go online and report it.  There should be a place on their website.  I did this once and received a call back from an regional supervisor.   

Super Contributor

I didn't want to create more of a scene.  I am a person who will generally brush it off and let it go, but I always feel like I should address things more and not hide from it.  In this case It just really bugged me that I didn't do more for myself.  Didn't want to get him in any trouble but I do feel this up-and-coming newer employee needs a lesson on customer interaction.

Valued Contributor

I may be wrong but it seems to me that when you are at a self checkout you are, essentially, the cashier.  You scan the item, you process the coupons, you handle the payment, and you do the bagging. The attendant is there to make sure people aren't bagging things they haven't scanned, to help if there's a computer issue or the computer doesn't recognize a ligit coupon, and to help if you run into a problem with the price of an item ringing up differently than what is on the shelf or on sale.

At the self checkouts in my area that's how it is.  You don't have to hand anything to the attendant as the computer asks you if you have coupons and, if you do, you scan them and put them in a slot and the coupon amount shows up on the computer screen as processed.  If it's different in your area and if you were being observed doing the wrong thing then you should have been approached as you were doing it, not after the fact, and certainly not be admonished publicly as you were.   Shame on that store!

Honored Contributor

@Melzie wrote:

I may be wrong but it seems to me that when you are at a self checkout you are, essentially, the cashier.  You scan the item, you process the coupons, you handle the payment, and you do the bagging. The attendant is there to make sure people aren't bagging things they haven't scanned, to help if there's a computer issue or the computer doesn't recognize a ligit coupon, and to help if you run into a problem with the price of an item ringing up differently than what is on the shelf or on sale.

At the self checkouts in my area that's how it is.  You don't have to hand anything to the attendant as the computer asks you if you have coupons and, if you do, you scan them and put them in a slot and the coupon amount shows up on the computer screen as processed.  If it's different in your area and if you were being observed doing the wrong thing then you should have been approached as you were doing it, not after the fact, and certainly not be admonished publicly as you were.   Shame on that store!

@Melzie  Not all self checkouts are they same. Where I live they vary by store. process. Live in a large city.  At our largest grocery chain we still gave to hand coupons to a store employee to pricess.

Valued Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@Melzie wrote:

@Melzie  Not all self checkouts are they same. Where I live they vary by store. process. Live in a large city.  At our largest grocery chain we still gave to hand coupons to a store employee to pricess.

Ah!  Did not know that.  Thanks for that info as it's different here.  Still doesn't seem right to embarass a customer who wasn't aware of that store's policy or that they were doing anything wrong.

Respected Contributor
You did nothing wrong. It should've been clear to that employee that you weren't trying to misuse those coupons. I get that working with the public can be difficult but employees must be professional. The store manager needs to know about this.
Esteemed Contributor

@bcherry01 wrote:

I didn't want to create more of a scene.  I am a person who will generally brush it off and let it go, but I always feel like I should address things more and not hide from it.  In this case It just really bugged me that I didn't do more for myself.  Didn't want to get him in any trouble but I do feel this up-and-coming newer employee needs a lesson on customer interaction.

@bcherry01  I would have said, What´s wrong with you? you watched me doing this and you didn´t say anything?  And I would have felt better