Super Contributor

Grocery Store Visit

[ Edited ]

This just baffled me and annoyed me.  I always use self-checkout.  Yogurt on sale 10 for $10.  Some had stickers on them for .75 cents off/some .50 cents off.  I checked the dates and they were the same as the others.  Just certain flavors that were not selling maybe.  So I bought four of the ones with stickers.  I'm checking out and removing the stickered coupon for each one.  When I'm done I have to give the coupons to the assistant.  Well I got scolded in front of all within earshot.  Was told I shouldn't have removed the sticker because it said (in print so small you would need a super magnifier to read it) "void if removed."  So I apologize and said it was my fault for not reading it and that would be OK if he could not give me the value of the coupon.  "No, no ... I'll do it this time but I should make sure not to do it again."  Then he adds "I watched you take them off so I guess I can honor it this time."  

OK you put me through your shaming for what????  If you were watching me remove them, why didn't you tell me at that moment."  

Just makes me wonder about a person's motivation.

Honored Contributor

@bcherry01 

Were some yo-yo call me out like that? He would wish he hadn't. Don't care what store it was, but whomever manages it would hear from me. They wouldn't listen or care? There are plenty of other stores that would appreciate my business, and treat me as such.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

I would have been speechless.  What would the harm be for him to tell you that there was no need to remove them (for next time), and just throw the ones that you handed him away.

If they are meant to stay on the product, they have no way of confirming if you had the coupons or not, so afer he gave you the discounts, he should have just tossed them.  Maybe since they were for different amounts, they had to be for certain items, and once removed, he wasn't able to figure out which ones they came off of?

......You look like I need a drink.....
Esteemed Contributor

The store in town, big super market, doesn,t change the reg. To the sale price on a lot of items.

I finally had it, and stopped my checkout , took the bag boy to each item that was mispriced in my checkout.  Fortunately, I only got sale items, because I would have a hard time checking everything. I do not do a big shopping at this market.. I go to Trader Joe,s for my weekly or monthly shopping.  Never a mistake on their register.

Esteemed Contributor

Some people are just not very bright. He was clearly rude. Best to just let it go in one ear and out the other - if you can (when things like that happen). I know it is easier said than done in the situation. I may have just fired right back at him myself.

Respected Contributor

@bcherry01   Well, that isn't the way you want your shopping experience to go.

I'm with @hckynut on this issue--I would quietly let the manager know that as an innocent shopper I don't appreciate a public scolding.  

Makes the case for me that self checkout is more trouble than it is worth and I don't/won't do it.

And, supermarkets can't afford to lose customers with their low profit margin and, at least in urban areas, LOTS  of competition to capture their loyalty.

aroc3435

Washington, DC

Respected Contributor

sorry you had to deal with that.  I agree I'd take it up with the manager and I would make quite sure I told them that their Employee Admitted to watching  you doing the coupon thing the wrong way and instead of Helping you quietly, He chose to make a public example of you.  Management needs to know because if that employee could do it to you he could bully other patrons too.

Honored Contributor

@bcherry01  WOW....that was so unnecessary to scold you in public like that over such a thing. So unprofessional. He needs a talking to AND a new job NOT working with the public. 🙁

Respected Contributor

@bcherry01 wrote:

This just baffled me and annoyed me.  I always use self-checkout.  Yogurt on sale 10 for $10.  Some had stickers on them for .75 cents off/some .50 cents off.  I checked the dates and they were the same as the others.  Just certain flavors that were not selling maybe.  So I bought four of the ones with stickers.  I'm checking out and removing the stickered coupon for each one.  When I'm done I have to give the coupons to the assistant.  Well I got scolded in front of all within earshot.  Was told I shouldn't have removed the sticker because it said (in print so small you would need a super magnifier to read it) "void if removed."  So I apologize and said it was my fault for not reading it and that would be OK if he could not give me the value of the coupon.  "No, no ... I'll do it this time but I should make sure not to do it again."  Then he adds "I watched you take them off so I guess I can honor it this time."  

OK you put me through your shaming for what????  If you were watching me remove them, why didn't you tell me at that moment."  

@bcherry01   If I was admonished like that publicly, I would have probably just left all my groceries right there and walked out.  Granted, that would have been juvenile on my part and it would be "cutting off my nose to spite my face" since the items were a good deal, but sometimes it's just more fun to take the low road once in a while.  "Clean up on register 7". 

And not for nothing but I have left a cart full of groceries when I had a problem at a certain store.  I left the items for the surly employee to deal with and put back on the shelves.  Not that I'm proud of that, but sometimes the customer IS right.  🤦

I would give everything I own just to have you back again.......David Gates of Bread
Honored Contributor

@SloopJohnB wrote:

@bcherry01 wrote:

@bcherry01   If I was admonished like that publicly, I would have probably just left all my groceries right there and walked out.  Granted, that would have been juvenile on my part and it would be "cutting off my nose to spite my face" since the items were a good deal, but sometimes it's just more fun to take the low road once in a while.  "Clean up on register 7". 

And not for nothing but I have left a cart full of groceries when I had a problem at a certain store.  I left the items for the surly employee to deal with and put back on the shelves.  Not that I'm proud of that, but sometimes the customer IS right.  🤦

@SloopJohnB  Yes that would have been cutting off your nose to spite your face.  I probably would have forgotten about it by the time I started my car and drove out of the parking lot.