Honored Contributor

Baby Boomers annoyed the heck out of the older generations, too.    

Esteemed Contributor

@Evie2004 wrote:

I am going to try my best to be PC here, so bear with me..our oldest granddaughter is just 13 & is smart, adorable, polite, you know the rest..not any experience with teenage girls just yet (we have sons) I think I just met my first member of generation z, a few days ago. I was at the counter of a very busy local ice cream store, while I was next to her, she requested samples of several different flavors, when she finally decided, the server asked her, cup or cone? She acted like she didn't understand him & since I was standing RIGHT IN FRONT of a little cone display, I TRIED to make eye contact with her & tried to show her the  choices, actually I tried it twice..she totally ignored me! She was probably 14-15 years old..do I have the correct generation? Like my body mass was not physically there! As far as the PC comment I mentioned, I better skip it, BUT, if this is the next seemingly- entitled generation around here, I'm going to have lots of fun in the coming years..& praying my granddaughters don't act like this in public! 

BTW, I am proud to be a boomer & my husband & I aren't old YET!!!

@Evie2004

Maybe it's because you were trying to be PC, but there just isn't enough info in your description of what happened.  I didn't read anything that indicated she was deliberately trying to be difficult.  How do you KNOW that she understood him? ( Maybe something you're afraid to say?) And why didn't you say something out loud, instead of "trying to make eye contact"?  I would have just said "Oh, here are the cones - I'm afraid I was blocking them!" 

I ask these things as a former Spec. Ed. teacher.  From what you've told us, it sounds like you made a lot of assumptions about this girl.  But again, maybe there are things you aren't saying that were definitely bad behavior on her part?  If so, that's really a necessary part of the story.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Valued Contributor

@mom2four0418, thank you, guess we have 2Gen Z & 1Alpha gen granddaughters!

Valued Contributor

@shoesnbags, I do have some assumptions that I will keep personal, but basically was just feeling people out about this AGE GROUP/ GENERATION Z..

I don't feel I can give my opinion of her on here..I am used to very socialized friends & family members & she seemed very strange to me..I do plan to read up on the gen zees, as we have 2 in the family! & a Gen Alpha too!

Honored Contributor

I wouldn't put this one encounter as representative of the Z generation.

Nor any individual a representative of any generation.

Every person is an individual and different.

We may share certain experiences from a generation but I think thats about it.

Also, I think I would be uncomfotable with a stranger trying to make eye contact and explain the cones to me.

Remember many kids are still taught to not talk to strangers, especially younger kids and she is still young.Or she just may have felt it was strange and chose not to engage. She didn't know you right?

I may have misunderstood your post but from what I read, thats what I think.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

I wouldn't put this one encounter as representative of the Z generation.

Nor any individual a representative of any generation.

Every person is an individual and different.

We may share certain experiences from a generation but I think thats about it.

Also, I think I would be uncomfotable with a stranger trying to make eye contact and explain the cones to me.

Remember many kids are still taught to not talk to strangers, especially younger kids and she is still young.Or she just may have felt it was strange and chose not to engage. She didn't know you right?

I may have misunderstood your post but from what I read, thats what I think.

This^^^

How or why should a single encounter with a stranger give insight into an entire generation? And if there was indeed (IF) "something odd" about this girl, all the more reason not to label her as representative of an entire group of people.

The OP is a stranger - a stranger whom the girl possibly feels is weird or rude and wants nothing to do with. I wouldn't fault her for that. I've never thought that every person under the age of 18 "must" mandatorily cower in the presence of an adult - or blindly obey them, or blindly show them respect. 

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

Re: Generation Z

[ Edited ]

@Evie2004, your post shows your disdain for a girl you don't know but seem to want other posters to join you in criticizing. Remarks like she "requested samples of several different flavors" and "finally decided" and "acted like she didn't understand" cone or cup and "praying" your granddaughters "don't act like this in public" are very telling. Maybe she didn't notice you trying to make eye contact with her, maybe she did and could see you were annoyed. Yes, you are going to have a hard time if you continue to be that impatient with a girl picking out a flavor of ice cream and calling it the "entitled generation." BTW, the employees and customers expect samples. Those little plastic spoons behind the glass next to the tubs of ice cream are there to sample flavors.

Respected Contributor

You said she was "still standing there" when you and your husband walked away with your sundaes. Apparently she didn't prevent your being served.

Valued Contributor

@Silver Lining wrote:

You said she was "still standing there" when you and your husband walked away with your sundaes. Apparently she didn't prevent your being served.

There are 10 servers there when they are busy on weekends..usually no wait!

sorry this topic was misunderstood by several...I am a very nice person, I had no plans to disturb or scare her..it was just a very odd encounter.

Respected Contributor

maybe the ice cream scooper was cute and she wanted his attention LOL