Honored Contributor

When my oldest was 13 she hated to tell someone her order. She was so shy and self-conscious when speaking to adults. She outgrew this but I never saw it as her being a brat or indicative of a spoiled segment of society. 

Respected Contributor

I never understood the whole generational tagging.  Society in general is too quick to labels/tags people into categories...humans are much more complex than that...nothing about us is that simple.  

Honored Contributor

@straykatz wrote:

I never understood the whole generational tagging.  Society in general is too quick to labels/tags people into categories...humans are much more complex than that...nothing about us is that simple.  

I wonder if the baby boomers were the first generation to be labeled like that, although I know two previous generations have labels, too.  The millennials sure take a beating here and elsewhereSmiley Sad

Honored Contributor

Did the server repeat him/herself so that the girl understood what the question was?  Was there no interaction after her non-response?  Weird scenario, to me anyway.

Doesn't sound like she was shy, as she was asking for several samples.  I don't even like to do that as an adult.  I figure more than 2 samples makes me look greedy and that I want something for nothing.  haha

I guess I just don't really understand the entire encounter.

Honored Contributor

@september wrote:

@Evie2004 wrote:

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

My first reaction to this post is like many others. The child could likely have been following her parent's strict instructions about not talking to strangers or she was just put off by the pushy lady or she was a typical teen girl in her own dreamy world.

Whatever the case, this has got to be one of the most unfair and mean-spirited attacks on a whole generation of kids that I've seen here.

I'm a Boomer and I don't despise the generations who will take our place on this earth. The generations before us thought we were useless in a lot of ways and I swore to myself that I would never behave that way.

@Ms tyrion2 ok, she was not a child! I was NOT a pushy lady, you need to reread my post & get over your condescending attitude! 

You said she was probably 14-15 years old.  She is a child, and you were expecting too much from her 

@september

Yes, today's 14-15 yr olds can be immature in some things, but boy they know their electronics and could probably teach a course in sex ed.........I have a friend that's a middle school teacher and the stories she can tell....WHEW!.......

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

It could have been anything including social anxiety. Honestly I have a visceral reaction to bad breath and body odor. I know that sounds dramatic but it is true. 

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

Did the server repeat him/herself so that the girl understood what the question was?  Was there no interaction after her non-response?  Weird scenario, to me anyway.

Doesn't sound like she was shy, as she was asking for several samples.  I don't even like to do that as an adult.  I figure more than 2 samples makes me look greedy and that I want something for nothing.  haha

I guess I just don't really understand the entire encounter.

I don't really understand it, either.  Maybe the OP was in a grumpy mood, and decided to vent and used this experience with the young girl? 

Respected Contributor

@Silver Lining wrote:

@Evie2004, your post shows your disdain for a girl you don't know but seem to want other posters to join you in criticizing. Remarks like she "requested samples of several different flavors" and "finally decided" and "acted like she didn't understand" cone or cup and "praying" your granddaughters "don't act like this in public" are very telling. Maybe she didn't notice you trying to make eye contact with her, maybe she did and could see you were annoyed. Yes, you are going to have a hard time if you continue to be that impatient with a girl picking out a flavor of ice cream and calling it the "entitled generation." BTW, the employees and customers expect samples. Those little plastic spoons behind the glass next to the tubs of ice cream are there to sample flavors.

I don't know, but if it is clear that at least one person is waiting, I'm not sure why she had to try "several different flavors" before "finally deciding."  That seems rude to begin with.  Second, she apparently had no problem communicating with the clerk about her desire to have all these different flavors so I'm not sure why when asked, she suddenly couldn't seem to understand the difference between cones or cups - or what he was saying.  I don't know if he had an accent and she was being difficult or he mumbled or what, but why didn't she just say - I'm sorry, but I didn't hear the question - or something like that.

Honored Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@Silver Lining wrote:

@Evie2004, your post shows your disdain for a girl you don't know but seem to want other posters to join you in criticizing. Remarks like she "requested samples of several different flavors" and "finally decided" and "acted like she didn't understand" cone or cup and "praying" your granddaughters "don't act like this in public" are very telling. Maybe she didn't notice you trying to make eye contact with her, maybe she did and could see you were annoyed. Yes, you are going to have a hard time if you continue to be that impatient with a girl picking out a flavor of ice cream and calling it the "entitled generation." BTW, the employees and customers expect samples. Those little plastic spoons behind the glass next to the tubs of ice cream are there to sample flavors.

I don't know, but if it is clear that at least one person is waiting, I'm not sure why she had to try "several different flavors" before "finally deciding."  That seems rude to begin with.  Second, she apparently had no problem communicating with the clerk about her desire to have all these different flavors so I'm not sure why when asked, she suddenly couldn't seem to understand the difference between cones or cups - or what he was saying.  I don't know if he had an accent and she was being difficult or he mumbled or what, but why didn't she just say - I'm sorry, but I didn't hear the question - or something like that.

It's rude to ask for samples? Since when? If sampling wasn't permitted then spoons would not be provided!

The girl in question didn't know the OP from Adam and perhaps thought she was a weirdo.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

Maybe she thought you were giving her the 'evil eye' for taking too long to decide.

And a crafty feline rubs its paws together as though hatching an evil plan 

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.