Super Contributor

Who knows what was going on in this one situation.  Maybe the girl has Asperger's, is shy...I can say, though, in some support of the original poster - that I have noticed children in my neighborhood at around this age treating me as if I am invisible.  They don't say hello or make eye contact.  I think this might be a leftover from the "stranger danger" messages they have been taught?  I live in a very boring, suburban neighborhood.  I say hello to the neighborhood children directly and it is almost as if I am startling them.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Generation Z

[ Edited ]

nun ya wrote:

maybe the ice cream scooper was cute and she wanted his attention LOL

@nun ya   Woman LOL

Respected Contributor

My first reaction to this post is like many others. The child could likely have been following her parent's strict instructions about not talking to strangers or she was just put off by the pushy lady or she was a typical teen girl in her own dreamy world.

Whatever the case, this has got to be one of the most unfair and mean-spirited attacks on a whole generation of kids that I've seen here.

I'm a Boomer and I don't despise the generations who will take our place on this earth. The generations before us thought we were useless in a lot of ways and I swore to myself that I would never behave that way.

Honored Contributor

Maybe she rarely has the money for a cone and wanted to make the best choice.I wouldn't have thought entitlement but more like indecision.

Valued Contributor

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

My first reaction to this post is like many others. The child could likely have been following her parent's strict instructions about not talking to strangers or she was just put off by the pushy lady or she was a typical teen girl in her own dreamy world.

Whatever the case, this has got to be one of the most unfair and mean-spirited attacks on a whole generation of kids that I've seen here.

I'm a Boomer and I don't despise the generations who will take our place on this earth. The generations before us thought we were useless in a lot of ways and I swore to myself that I would never behave that way.

@Ms tyrion2 ok, she was not a child! I was NOT a pushy lady, you need to reread my post & get over your condescending attitude! 

Honored Contributor

Sometimes tweens/teens (and others) have (maybe wireless?) ear buds in their ears......listening to music, etc.  I was alerted to this by my walking friends.  I previously hadn't a clue as to why some tweens/teens (and others) don't say 'hello' back. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

I think a lot of children, and some teens ,too, have spent most of their time with  parents who handled things like this for them. 

This child was probably one of them....why not show a small amount of patience? She will learn, as we all did.  

good for your grandchildren for their achievements!  How about some understanding for some children who may not be at their level yet?

Honored Contributor

@Evie2004 wrote:

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

@Ms tyrion2 ok, she was not a child! I was NOT a pushy lady, you need to reread my post & get over your condescending attitude! 

You said she was probably 14-15 years old.  She is a child, and you were expecting too much from her 

Honored Contributor

Re: Generation Z

[ Edited ]

@Evie2004 wrote:

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

I think you're proving Ms tyrion2's point:/

Lots of children have been taught not to interact with strangers.

Honored Contributor

@Evie2004 wrote:

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

"You need to..." "and get over..."

Child probably, but a wise child for sure. 

Life without Mexican food is no life at all