Respected Contributor

@JaneMarple wrote:

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@Silver Lining wrote:

@Evie2004, your post shows your disdain for a girl you don't know but seem to want other posters to join you in criticizing. Remarks like she "requested samples of several different flavors" and "finally decided" and "acted like she didn't understand" cone or cup and "praying" your granddaughters "don't act like this in public" are very telling. Maybe she didn't notice you trying to make eye contact with her, maybe she did and could see you were annoyed. Yes, you are going to have a hard time if you continue to be that impatient with a girl picking out a flavor of ice cream and calling it the "entitled generation." BTW, the employees and customers expect samples. Those little plastic spoons behind the glass next to the tubs of ice cream are there to sample flavors.

I don't know, but if it is clear that at least one person is waiting, I'm not sure why she had to try "several different flavors" before "finally deciding."  That seems rude to begin with.  Second, she apparently had no problem communicating with the clerk about her desire to have all these different flavors so I'm not sure why when asked, she suddenly couldn't seem to understand the difference between cones or cups - or what he was saying.  I don't know if he had an accent and she was being difficult or he mumbled or what, but why didn't she just say - I'm sorry, but I didn't hear the question - or something like that.

It's rude to ask for samples? Since when? If sampling wasn't permitted then spoons would not be provided!

The girl in question didn't know the OP from Adam and perhaps thought she was a weirdo.

No, it's rude to make other people wait while you make up your mind.  What about taking a sample and stepping aside for the next person to order  - or at least doing that after the second - or third sample.  But several - while others are waiting.  No, i"m sorry, but that is rude.