Contributor

Re: First US vaccines to be delivered to the US on December 15

@Carmie  About the 3-month efficacy....that is because "three months is how long their vaccine was tested."   So no one knows how long the vaccine will last in your body.  My source is a doctor on C-Span.

(If I would have to get boosters every three months, my body could not take all of the foreign protein in my system.  And my aunt who had Guillane Barre, she cannot have any type of virus shot, so not everyone can get immunized.  Good luck to us all.)

Respected Contributor

@patbz wrote:

States at this PT have very small allocations (D.C. has 8000 initially) and first to get it will be healthcare and seniors living in group situations. Yesterday NYT published an article where you could plug in your county, your age, your health status.  In my family's case DH will get it earlier than me and I will get it earlier than my son.  This article also has info like what number of vials your county will get at this point.  We'll get it when our numbers come up ( figure there'll be a lot of data by then).

I'm wondering if a protocol will be floated to immunize all members of a household at the same time, regardless of their list status. IOW, the person with the priority brings the rest of the household with him/her. That way, you wouldn't have a patchwork of coverage under one roof, with one person completetly immunized, another halfway there, and a third with no coverage at all. I believe the question of whether people who are vaccinated can still spread the virus is yet unanswered, and may differ from vaccine to vaccine, so consistency seems important because you wouldn't expect people who live together to wear masks and distance from each other. Just some thoughts.

Respected Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@noodleann wrote:

@Johnnyeager wrote:

None are proved to be 100% effective. 

Duration of protection is another uncertainty.

I read this morning that protection seems to be up to three months after the second dosage is given.

That's not a long time.  I wonder if people will have to keep getting boosters and if the booster will be safe.  Still a lot of questions unanswered

@Carmie, that is because it is only the length of time they have for the participants in the phase 3 clinical trials to date.

Phase 3 injections didn't start in this country until May of this year.  Then 3 weeks later, the 2nd vaccination.  They have to wait for 3 months out from that last injection to draw titers for antibodies.  So even the earliest participants would not have had 6 month titers drawn until late August.  

They will continue to monitor those participants at 6 months, etc.  But even for the earliest ones, the 6 month mark would not have occurred until late Nov.   They of course have to have a certain number of  participants in that 6 month cohort before they complie the data on that cohort.   So it is understaood that data for 6 month antibody titer level is still pending. 

Bottom line is the phase 3 clinical trial participants have not progressed along that far in order for them to know how long antibodies are present due to vaccination.  In short, they don't yet know if coverage will last 3 months, 6 months, 1 year, 3 years, etc.  

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Honored Contributor

@pitdakota   Well then, that sounds terrible.

How can the drug companies honestly say their vaccines are safe when they have no idea if this is true?

I get a queazy feeling in my stomach when I think of the millions that are going to line up and and play Russian Roulette by taking this unproven, hardly studied,  rushed way too fast vaccine.

Hopefully, it is safe and effective, but what if it isn't? There are too many unknowns.

Respected Contributor

Needless to say, this is going to be a daunting task which will probably have several hiccups along the way.

There is no federal plan to dispense the vaccine so people need to be paying attention to the plan their specific state is adopting in regard to who will get the vaccine, when.

The CDC did meet to provide recommendations as to who should get the vaccine first, but states can choose not to follow those guidelines and do something different, or veer from certain recommendations and follow others.  

States have been required to submit their plan so people should be able to locate what their specific state is planning.  That will give people a much better idea of what groups your state is planning to vaccinate first and how they are identifying those groups.

For example, there are quite a few "health care" workers.  But many of those working in health care are at a higher risk because they work directly with or around individuals with covid.  Others are at a lower risk since they are not any more likely to come into contact with covid-19 than the average citizen.  So some states may place those health care workers in a different category.  It just depends.

Honored Contributor

At this point there is almost no distribution plan beyond the first target group of healthcare workers and nursing home residents. There's no real plan on how to get it to the general population and this is something that should've been worked on for months and it hasn't. The biggest gaping hole is that there is no substantial IT system in place on tracking who gets what and when and a second dose. 

normally I would be in the first group to probably get it this December, but I just started a leave of absence.

Honored Contributor

@noodleann wrote:

@patbz wrote:

States at this PT have very small allocations (D.C. has 8000 initially) and first to get it will be healthcare and seniors living in group situations. Yesterday NYT published an article where you could plug in your county, your age, your health status.  In my family's case DH will get it earlier than me and I will get it earlier than my son.  This article also has info like what number of vials your county will get at this point.  We'll get it when our numbers come up ( figure there'll be a lot of data by then).

I'm wondering if a protocol will be floated to immunize all members of a household at the same time, regardless of their list status. IOW, the person with the priority brings the rest of the household with him/her. That way, you wouldn't have a patchwork of coverage under one roof, with one person completetly immunized, another halfway there, and a third with no coverage at all. I believe the question of whether people who are vaccinated can still spread the virus is yet unanswered, and may differ from vaccine to vaccine, so consistency seems important because you wouldn't expect people who live together to wear masks and distance from each other. Just some thoughts.

@noodleann 

I just saw an interview yesterday with the heads of three of the vaccine manufacturers and the Pfizer CEO said they don't yet know whether individuals can transmit the virus after being vaccinated.

Respected Contributor

@pitdakota wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

@noodleann wrote:

@Johnnyeager wrote:

None are proved to be 100% effective. 

Duration of protection is another uncertainty.

I read this morning that protection seems to be up to three months after the second dosage is given.

That's not a long time.  I wonder if people will have to keep getting boosters and if the booster will be safe.  Still a lot of questions unanswered

@Carmie, that is because it is only the length of time they have for the participants in the phase 3 clinical trials to date.

Phase 3 injections didn't start in this country until May of this year.  Then 3 weeks later, the 2nd vaccination.  They have to wait for 3 months out from that last injection to draw titers for antibodies.  So even the earliest participants would not have had 6 month titers drawn until late August.  

They will continue to monitor those participants at 6 months, etc.  But even for the earliest ones, the 6 month mark would not have occurred until late Nov.   They of course have to have a certain number of  participants in that 6 month cohort before they complie the data on that cohort.   So it is understaood that data for 6 month antibody titer level is still pending. 

Bottom line is the phase 3 clinical trial participants have not progressed along that far in order for them to know how long antibodies are present due to vaccination.  In short, they don't yet know if coverage will last 3 months, 6 months, 1 year, 3 years, etc.  

You're not saying this, @pitdakota , to be clear, but when I read that last para, I thought that what this means is that approval at this stage is completely premature. Duration of efficacy--hell, determining efficacy in the first place--is a critical aspect of something given to prevent infection. Without that information, it's a crapshoot.

If they do give EUAs to the vaccines of Pfizer and Moderna, it will turn the people taking it into unobserved, uncontrolled test subjects. This is just laying a fresh new layer of insanity on top of the madness of the virus itself. Just when we need certainty and reliability, this fails us. 

Hearing Pfizer cut the production target by 50% should raise alarms everywhere. If they could have this kind of problem, in production or computation, what else have they gotten wrong?

Respected Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@pitdakota   Well then, that sounds terrible.

How can the drug companies honestly say their vaccines are safe when they have no idea if this is true?

I get a queazy feeling in my stomach when I think of the millions that are going to line up and and play Russian Roulette by taking this unproven, hardly studied,  rushed way too fast vaccine.

Hopefully, it is safe and effective, but what if it isn't? There are too many unknowns.

@Carmie, there is a big difference between safety and how long neutralizing antibodies remain active.  Phase 1 and Phase 2 primarily deal with safety and the correct dose to illict an immune response.  Phase 3 then deploys the vaccine to a greater number of individuals to determine efficacy and safety in larger numbers of people.  

I can't specifically report on safety data because that data has not been released to the general public at this point and is what the FDA is in the process of evaluating at this point in time.   But safety has been an area of research and evaluation starting with phase 1. 

Phase 4 will include continued following of subjects in the clinical trials and other members in the population once widespread distribution has taken place.  

Esteemed Contributor

@pitdakota 

Thank you for continuing to be a voice of knowledge and reason on these COVID threads.  Your posts are much appreciated.💕

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett