Respected Contributor

Re: First US vaccines to be delivered to the US on December 15

@BoGo7 wrote:

Three different drug manufacturers ... your state determines which one you will get.  Keep your fingers crossed for the best one!    Not all are 100% effective so a mask will be part of the protocol for aid in prevention. 

Well then, I'm going to guess we're getting the PFE vaccine since they're making it here in Michigan. 

Yes, yes, I know the news has been making a big deal about it being flown in from the plant in Puurs, Belgium. They are making it there, but it's also being made here as well. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Esteemed Contributor

Dr.Gupta (CNN) said most will be able to get vaccine April play. That timeframe works for us (we are seniors).  We'll get it when we can because there should by then be millions who have been vaccinated ( more data ).  Hopefully by then there will be vaccination passports ( right now they only have paper records, not digital.  I'd also like to know how often we'll need to be revaccinated.

Contributor

@noodleann wrote:

@BoGo7 wrote:

Three different drug manufacturers ... your state determines which one you will get.  Keep your fingers crossed for the best one!    Not all are 100% effective so a mask will be part of the protocol for aid in prevention. 

Has any one of them been approved yet?

I don't understand why everyone is discussing this as if they're already approved. They might not be, or there could be conditions. It's not a given that any of them will get the green light.

@noodleann

The FDA HAS YET to approve any Covid vaccine.  They are rushing things in order to get "an emergency use" approval.  What scares me is that 70% of all new drugs the FDA approves is usually recalled or have the labels changed (dosage, etc).    I do not want to be the "guinea pig" on this one.

People are 'discussing' this because most of the news outlets ACT LIKE it is available for ALL soon, and it is not.  Good luck to us all.

Esteemed Contributor

I haven't seen any news broadcast indicating that the vaccine will be immediately available to any and all.  I've been left with the distinct impression that it will be 2nd or 3rd quarter of 2021 for a general population,  at the earliest. 

That, at least, is what I'm understanding. 

Esteemed Contributor

States at this PT have very small allocations (D.C. has 8000 initially) and first to get it will be healthcare and seniors living in group situations. Yesterday NYT published an article where you could plug in your county, your age, your health status.  In my family's case DH will get it earlier than me and I will get it earlier than my son.  This article also has info like what number of vials your county will get at this point.  We'll get it when our numbers come up ( figure there'll be a lot of data by then).

Honored Contributor

@noodleann wrote:

@Johnnyeager wrote:

None are proved to be 100% effective. 

Duration of protection is another uncertainty.

I read this morning that protection seems to be up to three months after the second dosage is given.

That's not a long time.  I wonder if people will have to keep getting boosters and if the booster will be safe.  Still a lot of questions unanswered

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@noodleann wrote:

@Johnnyeager wrote:

I read this morning that protection seems to be up to three months after the second dosage is given.

That's not a long time.  I wonder if people will have to keep getting boosters and if the booster will be safe.  Still a lot of questions unanswered

@Carmie, I have not heard that. Do you have a source?

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

@noodleann wrote:

@Johnnyeager wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Carmie wrote:

@noodleann wrote:

@Johnnyeager wrote:

I found the article again and made a copy of the paragraph.  It was on Fox News website.  Sorry that the print is so small.  I can't enlarge it.

BCFC1AB6-3260-4CF7-B9B4-FEAD13E3C40F.jpeg

Esteemed Contributor

Where does the line begin?  I would like to one of the first.  We cannot even get tested around here unless we want to wait in our cars for 4 hours or more.  I can only imagine how long we might have to wait for the vaccine.  

Esteemed Contributor

Every state is receiving a different number of vaccines based on population.  From numbers I've read in our local newspapers, our state's first shipment is about half the amount needed for all doctors, nurses, hospital workers in our state.   It will be a very long time before everyone has an opportunity to get the vaccination if they want one.  We all need to be patient.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt