Esteemed Contributor

Nope, no surprises at all.  Just that the heritage percentages were a bit different from what we had thought.  My son did Ancestry dot com and was surprised by the amount of Irish ancestry he had.  We knew that had to come from me, not his dad, so I did Ancestry as well and found out that I have a lot more Irish blood than I thought.  It makes sense, because my dad used to comment on my Irish looks when I was a child.  My Irish blood is on Dad's side.

My son's other surprise was a lot more French than he expected.  My husband sent a sample in and we found that he has a lot more French ancestry than we realized.  Son inherited French from both of us.

I found it all fascinating.  My son was matched with three of my first cousins, so I was impressed at the accuracy.  Of all the things I worry about in life, what happens with my DNA doesn't concern me, so this was a positive experience.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Respected Contributor

If anyone really wants to search for their long lost relatives, just win the lottery; they will  make themselves known to you in a hurry.

Honored Contributor

@QVCkitty1 - Not through one of the ancestry kits, but the day of my mom's memorial service I stood in the driveway with my uncle when he told me something that rocked my world. He was married to my mom's identical twin, and they never had children, so he was more of a father to me than my own. The only thing was we didn't get to see them a whole lot because of distance.

I thought about hiring a private investigator, but I had two very young children at the time. And I worried DH wouldn't understand. So I never did anything. 

On Amazon prime day a few years ago I got DH and our children kits for Christmas. They were excited, but have not used them. DD wasn't crazy about finding out her future health problems! I should just use one of theirs! 

Respected Contributor

That minister broke confidentiality and really caused a lot of pain and heartache; he should be ashamed.

I know someone who gave up her baby when she was a senior in highschool; back then she was sent away to live with her aunt until she had the baby. She wanted to stay completely anonymous and the adoption was sealed...but to this day, she worries about the baby, who would now be around 50, finding out who she is and contacting her. I think it is easier now than ever to do your own research online and find things that shouldn't be made public in full display for the entire world to see.

Respected Contributor

Sounds like she needs a restraining order to keep her sister, if that is who it really is, away from her unless she wants to have a relationship with her.