Honored Contributor

@Sage04 wrote:

@haddon9  for me wearing a mask I thought I was suffocating. It took me a few days to get used to it.

@Sage04 For a few moments after I entered the store I felt like I was going to have a mini panic attack!  I was really having a hard time breathing but then I was okay after a while.

Respected Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

Well I wore a mask at the supermarket today for the first time.  It was my first outing in 3 weeks and DH had an old box paper masks that he used for painting.

It was really uncomfortable!  I would have thought that the lightweight paper mask would have been more comfortable than it was.  Maybe I didn't have it on correctly but I found it a bit difficult to breathe at first and it kept fogging up my glasses....very frustrating! 

Plus I went to the fish counter and the clerk behind it couldn't understand what I was asking since my voice was muffled.  I actually found myself pulling the mask away (wasn't thinking!) and speaking loudly...but that defeats the purpose! 

When I went to the cashier I asked if he could hear me well and he could so it was a weird shopping experience.

@haddon9, if you get other masks and have to go out again, make sure the mask is pinched over the bridge of your nose. Not necessarily over your nostrils, but the bridge of your nose.  Then place your glasses to where the bottom rims rest on the outside of the top of the mask.  That will help some to decrease the fogging of your glasses.  But make sure your glasses are secure too.  You don't want those falling and then having to reach up to adjust them after you are already out.

You might also want to practice a couple of times at home before you go out just to get used to the feel of the mask and placement of your glasses.

And you do have to talk louder when you have them on.  lol.

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Esteemed Contributor

@Sage04 wrote:

@shoesnbags  I got it from Joanns a few days ago. They are onpen in my area in Snellville Ga from 10 am to 5pm

Oh @Sage04 , I envy you!  Our JoAnn's stores are locked up tight - only online orders allowed.  I'm in a COVID hotspot, so I do understand but I miss browsing.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Valued Contributor

I have been to the grocery store every other Saturday, and that's it for going anywhere. Last Saturday I didn't have a mask and only saw one person wearing one. I wanted to go tomorrow since last week I completely forgot to get any breakfast stuff for work days when I have no time to cook. The only masks I have are DIY home project masks I got at the dollar store ages ago. I also have a scarf I use in winter to cover my face since my nose tends to bleed when it gets below 20 degree. I don't know what to do if the store requires masks now. I feel like some here, I don't like anything too close on my face. Reading your posts makes it sound even worse. 

I have a ton of food and am ok on paper goods. I just a few things. Has anyone noticed many people not wearing masks?

Honored Contributor

@pitdakota wrote:

@haddon9 wrote:

Well I wore a mask at the supermarket today for the first time.  It was my first outing in 3 weeks and DH had an old box paper masks that he used for painting.

It was really uncomfortable!  I would have thought that the lightweight paper mask would have been more comfortable than it was.  Maybe I didn't have it on correctly but I found it a bit difficult to breathe at first and it kept fogging up my glasses....very frustrating! 

Plus I went to the fish counter and the clerk behind it couldn't understand what I was asking since my voice was muffled.  I actually found myself pulling the mask away (wasn't thinking!) and speaking loudly...but that defeats the purpose! 

When I went to the cashier I asked if he could hear me well and he could so it was a weird shopping experience.

@haddon9, if you get other masks and have to go out again, make sure the mask is pinched over the bridge of your nose. Not necessarily over your nostrils, but the bridge of your nose.  Then place your glasses to where the bottom rims rest on the outside of the top of the mask.  That will help some to decrease the fogging of your glasses.  But make sure your glasses are secure too.  You don't want those falling and then having to reach up to adjust them after you are already out.

You might also want to practice a couple of times at home before you go out just to get used to the feel of the mask and placement of your glasses.

And you do have to talk louder when you have them on.  lol.

@pitdakota Good idea and thanks for the tips!  I will definitely try that next time & practice first at home.

Honored Contributor

@LisaMofSLC Here in PA we are all now required to wear one.  It had been almost 3 weeks since I was actually in a store (had done curbside pick up last week) so when I went almost everyone had one on including employees. 

I did see two customers who did not.  I'm surprised they weren't told to leave.

Respected Contributor

I can't guarantee if this is correct; however, I thought I would post it and maybe it will help someone. 

It is a YT video explaining about the best material (or at least what he says) to use to make a homemade face mask and then there are directions as to how to actually sew it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6d3twpHwis&list=LL9dMUW1VR7JQdsLHucBC9QQ&index=51&t=200s

Trusted Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@Sage04 wrote:

@Shanus  I´m so surprised. Reading your posts for years and thinking you are the woman of all season lol. Yes you are and I will keep on thinking that you have a sewing machine. I bet @chickenbutt  has one. Laughter is so good. I admire you and @chickenbutt  for years and will continue.

@Sage04   Think this is a compliment, yes? I can do a lot...make jewelry, do makeup, bake & cook well, garden, interior design (most things creative), but no sewing. Honored that you think I'm sitting here now sewing up a suit for DH, but no way. 

I got a good laugh out of your response! Heart Smiley Wink

I regret not learning how to sew on a machine. I had my chance in high school, but I only had so much time and so many electives that I could take, and so I passed on it.

I can hand sew and hem, thanks to my maternal Gramma!

So, I guess that will have to do for now. Smiley Wink

Esteemed Contributor

@kaydee50  A dear friend in North Carolina who is a well known clothing designer sent us great masks she made.  Since we weren't able to find any to buy she took it into her hands and made them for us.  I feel so much better now when I leave the house and have my nose and mouth protected.  My daughter and granddaughter too!

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

@Sage04 wrote:

@Shanus  oh yea I remember all the things you can do so that´s why I thought you would be doing some sewing lol

@Sage04   I felt some guilt disappointing your expectations. I may order a sewing machine and sign up for lessons. BTW, I can't knit or crochet either. 😢