Esteemed Contributor

@Lindsays Grandma wrote:

@kaydee50  A dear friend in North Carolina who is a well known clothing designer sent us great masks she made.  Since we weren't able to find any to buy she took it into her hands and made them for us.  I feel so much better now when I leave the house and have my nose and mouth protected.  My daughter and granddaughter too!

@Lindsays Grandma 

According to the “experts” who are telling us all what to do (and then changing their minds), the mask is not to protect you. It’s to protect everyone else around you.  

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

@shoesnbags wrote:

@Lindsays Grandma wrote:

@kaydee50  A dear friend in North Carolina who is a well known clothing designer sent us great masks she made.  Since we weren't able to find any to buy she took it into her hands and made them for us.  I feel so much better now when I leave the house and have my nose and mouth protected.  My daughter and granddaughter too!

@Lindsays Grandma 

According to the “experts” who are telling us all what to do (and then changing their minds), the mask is not to protect you. It’s to protect everyone else around you.  

@shoesnbags 

Not that that's a bad thing.

Respected Contributor

@Deree wrote:

@BlueFinch   I still say wearing a mask is a 2-way street. It is a physical barrier and therefore protects others as well as yourself.  If 2 people each wear their own physical barrier rather than one person wearing a physical barrier and the other not then that's twice the protection.  Two physical barriers instead of one. So you are also wearing a mask to protect yourself not just others.  This is what my common sense tells me.

It goes without saying, that if everyone else is wearing facial coverings, then all of us are protecting one another. The point is to contain respiratory vapors and secretions from traveling.  

The problem is, that we are NOT protecting ourselves from someone who is infected, who may spread a viral load in our direction, while wearing our kitty whisker, fashion mask. They are not hospital grade, fitted masks. It's why we're repeatedly being told not to have a false sense of security from our social masks. 

These homemade masks are perfect for the intended purpose, but not to prevent contamination from the jerk who is not wearing a mask, to protect others. 

I was at the grocery store yesterday and noted even fewer people wearing masks, than when I was there two weeks ago. Why? I don't know, but maybe they're just getting burned out with the situation.  Maybe growing depressive and complacent? Maybe responding to decreased number of hospitalizations? 

There was also limited social distancing in my store. No one way aisles. I tried to avoid people, but wound up an arm's distance from several while maneuvering. I knew my mask was out gunned.  

It's become so problematic, that beginning Monday, there will be a $1,000. fine if caught without a mask, in any area where people have to navigate around one another.