Honored Contributor

Face Masks for Virus

[ Edited ]

Article from the NY Times.  May be helpful!

Removed link with political sidebars 

Honored Contributor

@kaydee50   No choices of masks here. They aren't available in stores or online. I made some and before folding inserted folded paper coffee filters for extra protection. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Face Masks for Virus

[ Edited ]

@kaydee50:  Very informative! Thanks for posting. Smiley Happy 

Esteemed Contributor

For the places that are requiring a mask, what are the requirements?  Read that the simple bandana or scarves are like 1% effective, at that point why bother.  What is the minimum required effectiveness required, if placing rules, set standards.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Super Contributor

Great article.  I am frustrated, however, that the general public was told early on "don't wear masks" when some protection is better than none.

Respected Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@kaydee50   No choices of masks here. They aren't available in stores or online. I made some and before folding inserted folded paper coffee filters for extra protection. 

Instead of the coffee filter you might want to try a piece of a quality furnace filter. I use the 1900 3M filters in my furnace so I had some on hand. I took off the frame and cut a piece in a small rectangle and put it in the middle of a bandana mask. Works really well.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Esteemed Contributor

@reiki604 wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

Instead of the coffee filter you might want to try a piece of a quality furnace filter. I use the 1900 3M filters in my furnace so I had some on hand. I took off the frame and cut a piece in a small rectangle and put it in the middle of a bandana mask. Works really well.

@reiki604 

This is similar to what I saw recommended by a doctor on YouTube. She recommends the highest filtration level AC filter and shows how to take it apart without cutting your hands on the metal mesh.  Since it’s accordian folded, you end up with a lot of filter material to cut up for your masks. That’s important, because you’re not supposed to be reusing the filter.  

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Respected Contributor

@shoesnbags Those are the filters I was talking about. I use them year round so I think of them as furnace filters. Thanks for the clarification

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Esteemed Contributor

@reiki604 wrote:

@shoesnbags Those are the filters I was talking about. I use them year round so I think of them as furnace filters. Thanks for the clarification

LOL where I live, we use air conditioning for most of the year so we call them AC filters.  Tomato, tomahto!

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Trusted Contributor

Re: Face Masks for Virus

[ Edited ]

Please make sure whatever household filters you are cutting up don't contain chemicals or fibers that may be hazardous to your breathing or health.

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.