Honored Contributor

@Deree wrote:

Please make sure whatever household filters you are cutting up don't contain chemicals or fibers that may be hazardous to your breathing or health.

@Deree    Aren't many filters fiberglass fibers?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Deree wrote:

Please make sure whatever household filters you are cutting up don't contain chemicals or fibers that may be hazardous to your breathing or health.

@Deree    Aren't many filters fiberglass fibers?

@Kachina624   Yes that was one I was thinking of and it's very dangerous to inhale which is why I mentioned to make sure what these household materials are made of before you just use any type of filter.

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Face Masks for Virus

[ Edited ]

@Deree @Kachina624 

It's the pleated allergy filters that are being used in masks.

Fiberglass Air Filters vs. Pleated Air Filters Learn the difference between these two types of air filters and which one's right for you

Homeowners don’t always know where to start when it’s time to choose an air filter. Because there are several types available at most stores, it’s easy to base your buying decision just on price alone. However, while the cheaper fiberglass air filter might seem like a smart idea for your budget, it may not always be the best choice for your home, your HVAC system, or your family’s health.

Fiberglass vs Pleated air filters
Here’s a Quick Guide on Two Common Varieties:
  • Fiberglass - Fiberglass air filters are generally inexpensive – sometimes as low as $1. They are good for catching larger debris in the air, like lint and dust, and they work great for airflow for just about any system. On the downside, they aren’t recommended for homes where people have allergies. They also need to be changed regularly – at least monthly. Because they don’t have a lot of surface area and don’t filter smaller items out, they eventually can cause build-up and weaken your HVAC system and decrease its efficiency, which may lead to higher energy costs. Worse – an especially flimsy fiberglass filter can come apart in your system, causing serious damage, as well as putting any filtered debris back into the air.

• Pleated - Pleated air filters may cost a little more – ranging from $5 to $15 – but they are a good example of getting what you pay for. They’re made from higher quality materials and absorb a significant amount of dust, dirt, and allergens, especially smaller sized particulates like pollen, pet dander, and bacteria. They have other advantages as well. They’re recyclable and only need to be changed about every 90 days. They also hold onto any filtered material well when you’re replacing them. Generally, pleated filters are recommended for those with allergies or related sensitivities and those interested in enjoying great air quality.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Frequent Contributor

I feel compelled to chime in here that 3M has also issued statement against using the filtrete filters for home made masks as it has not been tested for that use or for altering the filter for that matter.  

If the filter is cut I believe that the structural integrity of the filter is compromised.  I may be overly cautious, but I would rather err on the side of safety and protection of my lungs given that the virus once contracted may have long term consequences.  So I decided to forego using the 1900 filtrete filter and I returned my purchase to the hardware store.  I will use coffee filters in my masks for the immediate future.  

Everyone stay safe.

Super Contributor

@Moon Child I just watched a YT video of a surgeon who made a mask using a HEPA bag for a vacuum cleaner. He stated that is the best filtration, even better than the N95 masks. He uses them exclusively when he is working at his hospital now. It looks a bit involve to make one, but what  GREAT idea. Possibly these could be cut and used as a filter in regular masks too.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Face Masks for Virus

[ Edited ]

@Moon Child wrote:

I feel compelled to chime in here that 3M has also issued statement against using the filtrete filters for home made masks as it has not been tested for that use or for altering the filter for that matter.  

If the filter is cut I believe that the structural integrity of the filter is compromised.  I may be overly cautious, but I would rather err on the side of safety and protection of my lungs given that the virus once contracted may have long term consequences.  So I decided to forego using the 1900 filtrete filter and I returned my purchase to the hardware store.  I will use coffee filters in my masks for the immediate future.  

Everyone stay safe.

Thank you for that information @Moon Child .  Did 3M say that the filtrete material was unsafe, or just that they were not standing behind any claims that it would filter the Coronavirus? If unsafe, that’s  too bad, because that filter material was the only thing I’ve seen suggested that actually has the possibility of filtering virus particles in homemade masks.  

Arghh! I’m editing this post because I started googling best materials for mask filters, and got so many different recommendations.

The first hit, from HuffPost, recommended HEPA vacuum filters or bags, as long as you use one without fiberglass in it.  It also recommended AC filters, as long as you use the kind without fiberglass. The internist in the HP article said that “coffee filters, paper towels and tissues (even in layers) aren’t very effective.”

But then I read the next article, a piece from ABC News, which says that “manufacturers of HEPA filters have warned against repurposing their products for Coronavirus masks.”

One article says that coffee filters are pretty much useless as filters, while another recommends coffee filters.  Like everything else associated with this miserable virus, there is very little agreement as to what is the right thing to do.  All I did is give myself a headache. 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Contributor

There are plenty of face masks available to buy on etsy.com

Amazon also has face masks.

Honored Contributor

We have a gourmet grocer around the corner.  Big sign in the window ... "WE SELL MASKS."  It's a *** (fill in the blank) owned grocer.

I cut up a LOGO t-shirt that I was planning to donate ... I took it out of the donation bag and cut it into strips.  I can make about six or seven out of the shirt.

Really attractive  tie-dye mask.  Got some complements on it on the street yesterday.  

One woman has a really pretty silk "bandit mask."  I have a stack of those small nylon and chiffon scarf squares.  I should probably go through them.  I could probably make masks to match all my outfits!

Super Contributor

I was talking to a friend, she is a Doctor's wife.  She recommended using a thin panty liner as a filter in home made masks.  Thought that was a good idea.

Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus  I made some also but minus the coffee filter. One question, before washing do you remove the coffee filter? Meaning did you leave an opening on the back of the mask to insert the filter? If you leave the coffee filter in while washing does the coffee filter hold up?