Honored Contributor

Re: Dropped Cable TV, saving $125 per month

@cimeranrose wrote:

You're right @Spurt , people should do their homework, which we did. We don't have the max internet and have never had any buffering problems with Hulu Live TV, and, our picture is just as good. We never want to go back to cable.

It sounds like your price is pretty good for all that you get.

@cimeranrose 

We are lucky because we have an independent Cable Co that promised to be always lower than Spectrum and AT&T.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Foolywooly11 wrote:

Thanks for posting. I just cut my Dish bill in half, but I miss some of the channels I used to get. I'd like to get rid of it altogether, & started looking into what other options are available, but I find it a bit overwhelming!

@Foolywooly11 

https://cordcutting.com/blog/cord-cutting-calculator/

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Trusted Contributor

Yesterday, I went to the local Xfinity store to return the hook-up for one TV at my business.  The store refused to accept the equipment, saying they do not offer that service to businesses - I would have to call the business department to arrange the return.  So I called and was told I had to take the equipment to a UPS Store to have it packaged and returned to Xfinity.  Like h--- I was going to do that.  I complained so much a tech is going to come to my office, at no charge to me, to pick up the equipment on Thursday afternoon.  Can you believe the arrogance of that company to refuse service to a customer?

Trusted Contributor

We're on antenna only and get network stations, PBS, MOVIES! channel, Laff, Antenna TV (old sitcoms), Buzzr (old game shows),This TV, LivWell, and a few others.  Don't even stream.  Don't miss any cable tv.  Most of it is key-rap.

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Respected Contributor

I have Verizon FIOS Triple Play - just renewed for another 2 years.  I pay $183/mo for landline (which I would get rid of but need for my security system), TV and WiFi.  That $183 includes all the taxes someone above mentioned.  My sister pays very close to that to Comcast for just TV/WiFi.  

Trusted Contributor

The main thing that's keeping me from cutting the cord is DH's need to watch live football games. So I'm guessing if you have the major networks this will not be a problem. Sounds good, thank you for posting.

Honored Contributor

I looked into switching over to a streaming service and by the time you add it all up and buy whatever we would need for the second television because it's not a smart tv the savings wasn't worth the aggravation of switching everything over.

Respected Contributor

Would love to drop cable and save but it sounds so confusing to me!

Contributor

Leaving cable a few months ago and going on our Roku was the best decision you could make.  Not only do you save money, we are able to shut off the service at home and turn it on in our winter home without any interuption and no extra charges.  You are in charge when you are streaming.  We would like to have gone with Hulu but they don't offer the NFL channel, which is a MUST at our house!!  

Respected Contributor

I've been researching cable cutting recently. My cable and wifi bill has gone up to $250 per month and I just can't do it anymore. I am not a huge TV watcher anyway.  I tried to reduce my bill and was told that my " bundle" is the cheapest option and if I reduce stations, my bill would go up.  That's it for me.

Hulu looks like the best option for me. I have Amazon Prime too. My livingroom TV is a Smart TV,  but I will have to get a fire stick or Roku for the bedroom.  I think I will be able to save well over $100 per month. 

It will be happening soon!