Honored Contributor

Re: Dropped Cable TV, saving $125 per month

@elated  thanks for mentioning talking to a rep in the store.  Comcast gave me a "better deal" and I lost channels (I could have done that myself for heavens sake!).  I live in an area that has older infrastructure and hasn't been upgraded to newer technology.  I'm going to try and leverage that to upgrade my current package and see if I can get them to throw in a DVR!

Valued Contributor

@hckynut  - $230 was a crazy price because it only included internet and cable tv. (The internet was only 30/10 mbps!) And our cable tv wasn't anything special - we just had the regular cable tv package and never upgraded to add more channels. I used to get upset when we had to pay that $230 monthly bill knowing we weren't getting anything special for our money. I just wish we had dropped cable tv awhile ago - could have saved a lot of money.

It sounds like you have a decent deal tooSmiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Hi @cimeranrose ,

My internet provider is not via satellite, so that is not included in my monthly bill. Mine is via our phone company DSL.  Our home is wired with copper wire I might have made working at Western Electric/AT&T. 

When we first moved into our home we had to go from Unlimited Upload/Download speed, not sure of the exact speed, but I am thinking well over 100mbps. Not long after, they started capping both Up and Down speeds. But we had to go back to dialup, like the pony Express.

When we did DSL for years it was 1.5mbps, yes slow, but much better than the dialup. We live in a remote area and ain't no way I will live long enough to see Fiber Optic Cable here. After a few years we got s 5.0mbps speed and that we until last year when we are now up to 20mbps. Good enough for streaming e en 4k content, so I am happy.

We still use our landline for so our internet is discounted because of the phone. Our internet is $39 plus a whole boatload of taxes  some of which I have never heard of like a "convenience tax"? 

I am happy, as is my wife, and that is always a good thing. My best to you,

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

@elated  thanks for mentioning talking to a rep in the store.  Comcast gave me a "better deal" and I lost channels (I could have done that myself for heavens sake!).  I live in an area that has older infrastructure and hasn't been upgraded to newer technology.  I'm going to try and leverage that to upgrade my current package and see if I can get them to throw in a DVR!

I have DVR and they threw in the Movie Channel. I was getting the run around on the phone. I thought I had nothing to loose.

Valued Contributor

You're right @Spurt , people should do their homework, which we did. We don't have the max internet and have never had any buffering problems with Hulu Live TV, and, our picture is just as good. We never want to go back to cable.

It sounds like your price is pretty good for all that you get.

Trusted Contributor

Thanks for posting. I just cut my Dish bill in half, but I miss some of the channels I used to get. I'd like to get rid of it altogether, & started looking into what other options are available, but I find it a bit overwhelming!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tansy 

We have Hulu+ Live TV and it comes with something like 50 hours of DVR free.  You can record anything and watch it when you want.

We are totally happy with Hulu Live TV.   And we pay around $100.00 less than when we had cable.   We have xfinity for our internet.  150 mbps and have no buffering.

Respected Contributor

I would love to cut the cord but streaming only would be torture for DH. He loves to just sit with the remote and click from one channel to the next. I mean, it is really important to him to just be able to click, click, click.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

We cut the cord a couple years ago and never looked back. We have the highest internet level and use Sling’s streaming service. I’d love to switch to Hulu Live (would love to have Animal Planet again and would prefer to have local channels without having to use an antenna) but can’t give up the Hallmark Channels, which I watch year round. I’d switch in a quick minute if Hulu ever made a deal with Hallmark.

We added HBO during the Game of Thrones era, but now my GOT watch has ended, along with my HBO subscription. I added Boomerang (very reasonable price at $5 a month) just for the nostalgia of Saturday morning cartoons and am considering Acorn as well. What I’m really waiting anxiously for is the debut of Disney+. Can’t wait! Should be interesting to see what happens with Hulu now that Disney basically owns it. 

Between my antenna, amazon fire stick, Sling, Amazon Prime and Netflix, I havent missed that whopping cable bill for a second! There’s SO much more out than just cable channels. I love being able to choose what I want to watch when I want to watch it. 

Esteemed Contributor

I remember when Tv came out.  We had an antenna on top of the set.  Up until I was 11, we listened to the radio for entertAinment and played games arOund the table.  The days of old, but good 👍.

Fast forward years later, my son was 19 went to work for cable and it was free.   Now I have the internet, cable, but free DVR, Bargain  with them and pay 173. a month.  I may do what everyone does.  I watch a lot of stuff on kindle and the programs on TV are mostly sex and violence