Valued Contributor

Dropped Cable TV, saving $125 per month

[ Edited ]

It was painful to pay our $230 a month cable bill and we didn't watch many of the channels. We've had a ROKU for a few years now. We finally decided to drop cable TV and go with HULU Live TV that is streamed through our ROKU. Hulu Live TV costs $44.99 a month; our internet costs $60 a month. So now we're only paying $105 a month for TV and internet - we'll be saving $1500 a year. We started in April but wish we would have done it much sooner.

In looking for a streaming service to use with our ROKU (there are several streaming options out there), there were certain channels DH and I each wanted. With HULU Live TV we both got the channels we wanted.

The channels we get with HULU Live TV are: Our local ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox channels; A&E, Boomerang, Bravo, BTN, Cartoon Network, CBS Sports Network, CNBC, CNN, CNN international, Disney, Disney Junior, Disney XD, E!, ESPN, ESPN 2, ESPNEWS, ESPN-U, Food Network, FOX Business, FOX News, FreeForm, FS1, FS2, FX, FXM, FXX, Golf, HGTV, HLN, Lifetime, MSNBC, Discovery, TLC, Motor Trend, Animal Planet, National Geographic, Nat Geo Wild, NBCSN, Oxygen, Pop, SEC Espn, Sprout, Syfy, TBS, History, Travel, TNT, TruTV, Discovery, TLC, Investigation Discovery, Motor Trend, Animal Plantet, Turner Classic Movies (East and West), USA, Viceland, Cozi tv.

We have HULU Live TV on 2 TV's. DH has a third TV in his office but he just put an antennae in his office and he gets some local channels, METV, HSN and a few others - all for free with the antennae.

My husband has had Amazon Prime for a few years because he orders quite a bit from Amazon. One of the perks of that is on our ROKU we get Amazon Prime TV for free. I've found a few good movies on there and also some old TV shows I used to like. For instance, on Amazon Prime TV I get all the seasons for Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman, The Waltons, The Andy Griffith Show, That Girl, The Dock Van ****** Show - and that's just the tip of the iceberg.

I think Cable TV is going to become a dinasour because people are tired of paying their ridiculous prices - I think streaming services will be the wave of the future. I know my kids who are in their 20's won't waste their money on cable - they rarely watch TV.

I like TCM and what's neat about the HULU Live TV is, there's a TCM East and TCM West so if there's a movie I missed on TCM East, I can catch a few hours later on TCM West.

At Christmas time I do like to watch some Hallmark Christmas movies, so my husband found another streaming service for $20 a month that includes Hallmark and Hallmark Movies and Mysteries - so in November and December we'll pay an extra $20 a month for that streaming service and we can get Hallmark/Hallmark Movies and Mysteries but then we can drop the extra $20 streaming service after December.

Honored Contributor

Re: Dropped Cable TV, saving $125 per month

Thanks for posting. I have been thinking about doing this for quite some time & just keep putting it off. I don't watch that much on TV plus have so many shows on our DVR plus another hard drive with a lot of shows I will never watch. LOL!!! Paying over $125 for nothing per month for DISH.

DH is always streaming what he watches. I need to cut ours back to basics while I check out Hulu & what else is out there.

Honored Contributor

I did this back in Oct.  2015 after thinking about it for a couple of years.  At the time I rounded up each month and sent in $100.00 for expanded cable.  I only watched about one to two hours a night and never turned on during the day even on weekends.  What a waste it was since I read so many books.  I finally made the decision when they were forcing me to get new equipment and a higher bill to keep the same number of channels many of which I could not speak the language or had any desire to play the sport.  I told the guy when I called to complain, JUST SHUT IT DOWN.  He did not think I was really serious, I repeated to him shut it down NOW.  My own movie collection, books, and grandchildren fill my nights and weekends.  I have about 35 animated Walt Disney movies and love watching Cinderella over and over again.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Super Contributor

We have had Hulu + Live TV since January. We got rid of cable too. Our bill was also over 200.00 dollars. I’ve have no complaints about the Hulu. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do. There is so much to watch!! I want to add Acorn soon to get the shows from Britain.
Respected Contributor

I had high speed Internet and basic cable....and the price just kept increasing.  I have an Amazon Prime membership which I  use several times a month....,so I now have a Firestick and small antenna for local channels.  I save about $70 a month, and get more good channels and movie options than I ever had before.  Should have done it years ago!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Smart move!  And you have figured what your options are without cable. I cancelled cable 10 years ago, never missed it.  No longer have a television set and stream everything on computer.  I cancelled because I was working long hours and not watching much TV. Streaming was available and becoming more popular so I started streaming on computer and decided to cancel cable.  Never missed cable because of streaming, did not mind waiting a day or 2 to watch network shows since they were available online at the network sites and Hulu had become available.  Have saved a huge amount of money over the years. 

Honored Contributor

Lots of people are streaming now.  I don't feel sorry for the cable companies at all.  They have gotten away with too much for too long.

Honored Contributor

Comcast has spoiled me with their DVR box, so I hesitate to cut the cord.  I like the ease of recording shows, On Demand, pausing shows, fast forwarding through commercials and the newish voice feature.

That HULA package sounds good, with a wide variety of choices.

Respected Contributor

The geek squad tech who delivered and set up my new television said that he has been using Hulu for a few years instead of cable and he loves it, as well as is saving lots of $$$.  I'm locked into a Comcast contract right now but when it expires I will definitely consider dropping them.  I have been having nothing but problems with both my internet and cable for the past month. 

Honored Contributor

@Suzeecat wrote:

I have been having nothing but problems with both my internet and cable for the past month. 

You will need internet for streaming.  When you do decide to "cut the cable," suggest you get the highest internet plan Comcast offers to avoid the "buffering syndrome."  Bundle if you can-internet & phone.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif