Honored Contributor

Re: Dropped Cable TV, saving $125 per month

We've been talking about doing this but we cannot find a streaming service that offers every channel that we want.  And by the time we'd pay for what we want plus a high-speed internet, we wouldn't be saving that much.  

The other thing I worry about is we have a Roku tv in our bedroom and it runs through the Spectrum App.  I swear that app is down constantly and we have no tv  I worry about that if we switch to a streaming device.  I also DVR more shows than I watch live.     

Esteemed Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@Suzeecat wrote:

I have been having nothing but problems with both my internet and cable for the past month. 

You will need internet for streaming.  When you do decide to "cut the cable," suggest you get the highest internet plan Comcast offers to avoid the "buffering syndrome."  Bundle if you can-internet & phone.

I would like to add. I'm NJ, Comcast allows me to stream 1TB of data each month with my Blast plan. Some markets charge a fee over a cap. 

Super Contributor

Its nice not paying all that money isnt it!!?

We got rid of ours feb of last yr and got Roku and sling blue and have not regretted it at all....I added the cloud to record and hallmark package(for husband) for a total of 34.99 month.....My internet is 68.00....100 less than what we were paying.We get alot of good channels on sling blue.We also have amazon prime and husband watches some on that.....If something comes on tv and i want to watch but dont get channel i can sign in to my sons cable and watch it online that way....Pretty cool.The shopping channels can be watched on Roku along with other stuff.....I am so happy not paying those ridiculous  prices for tv ....I dont even watch much tv but husband does  when not working and he is happy with what we have now..

Valued Contributor

Just an FYI @tansy  - with the basic Hulu Live TV that we have for $44.99/month we get 50 hours of cloud DVR storage. If we wanted, we could upgrade to 200 hours and gain the ability to fast-forward through recorded commercials for an extra $9,99/month.

Valued Contributor

@Nightowlz  - we were like you, we kept thinking about dropping cable but kept putting it off but we're so glad we finally did it -  we just regret we didn't do it sooner!

Respected Contributor

Good for you!

Honored Contributor

@tansy wrote:

Comcast has spoiled me with their DVR box, so I hesitate to cut the cord.  I like the ease of recording shows, On Demand, pausing shows, fast forwarding through commercials and the newish voice feature.

That HULA package sounds good, with a wide variety of choices.

@tansy 

i am the same way and have not even been tempted to get rid of xfinity yet. two phone lines, high speed internet, DVR, voice remotes, movie channels,  tvs all over the house (some smart, some not.)

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@cimeranrose wrote:

It was painful to pay our $230 a month cable bill and we didn't watch many of the channels. We've had a ROKU for a few years now. We finally decided to drop cable TV and go with HULU Live TV that is streamed through our ROKU. Hulu Live TV costs $44.99 a month; our internet costs $60 a month. So now we're only paying $105 a month for TV and internet - we'll be saving $1500 a year. We started in April but wish we would have done it much sooner.

In looking for a streaming service to use with our ROKU (there are several streaming options out there), there were certain channels DH and I each wanted. With HULU Live TV we both got the channels we wanted.

The channels we get with HULU Live TV are: Our local ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox channels; A&E, Boomerang, Bravo, BTN, Cartoon Network, CBS Sports Network, CNBC, CNN, CNN international, Disney, Disney Junior, Disney XD, E!, ESPN, ESPN 2, ESPNEWS, ESPN-U, Food Network, FOX Business, FOX News, FreeForm, FS1, FS2, FX, FXM, FXX, Golf, HGTV, HLN, Lifetime, MSNBC, Discovery, TLC, Motor Trend, Animal Planet, National Geographic, Nat Geo Wild, NBCSN, Oxygen, Pop, SEC Espn, Sprout, Syfy, TBS, History, Travel, TNT, TruTV, Discovery, TLC, Investigation Discovery, Motor Trend, Animal Plantet, Turner Class Movies (East and West), USA, Viceland.

We have HULU Live TV on 2 TV's. DH has a third TV in his office but he just put an antennae in his office and he gets some local channels, METV, HSN and a few others - all for free with the antennae.

My husband has had Amazon Prime for a few years because he orders quite a bit from Amazon. One of the perks of that is on our ROKU we get Amazon Prime TV for free. I've found a few good movies on there and also some old TV shows I used to like. For instance, on Amazon Prime TV I get all the seasons for Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman, The Waltons, The Andy Griffith Show, That Girl, The Dock Van ****** Show - and that's just the tip of the iceberg.

I think Cable TV is going to become a dinasour because people are tired of paying their ridiculous prices - I think streaming services will be the wave of the future. I know my kids who are in their 20's won't waste their money on cable - they rarely watch TV.

I like TCM and what's neat about the HULU Live TV is, there's a TCM East and TCM West so if there's a movie I missed on TCM East, I can catch a few hours later on TCM West.

At Christmas time I do like to watch some Hallmark Christmas movies, so my husband found another streaming service for $20 a month that includes Hallmark and Hallmark Movies and Mysteries - so in November and December we'll pay an extra $20 a month for that streaming service and we can get Hallmark/Hallmark Movies and Mysteries but then we can drop the extra $20 streaming service after December.

I get Comcast/Xfinity for $146.00. It includes TV(2), Internet, Phone, Two Cable Boxes. I think that is a good deal. I went into their store and talked with a rep. I saved $30.00 per month. I do have DVR, Remote Voice Control and they threw in The Movie Channel.

Honored Contributor

@cimeranrose 

Glad it is working for you. My satellite bill, with all the sports networks I watch, plus all the networks my wife enjoys, is about what you say you are saving. Streaming will never replace "time shifting" for me, which I started enjoying back in early 1970's with my 1st VHS/VCR. I watch nothing live, much less wanting to watch streaming. 

Before I would even consider giving up my form of entertainment, I would eliminate every other optional expense in our household. I am an electronic nut, so I an quite familiar with what's available in Video and Audio. Nothing out there go replace my satellite DVR comes even close to meeting my form of entertainment. 

Saving $125 a month is  BIG deal, but the $130+ a few bucks for our total monthly bill for Dish Network?  Know nothing about cable nowadays, but if you were paying $230 a month? I would hope that includes every network that exists. 

Hope it permanently works out for you.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@cimeranrose 

Im glad your enjoying the savings with your cord cutting....Thats pretty cheap for internet, but from what I read you need the max internet available or you will experience buffering....In our area it would cost $79.99 for what is recommended......At least your package includes TCM...some of the streaming services dont offer it...good deal

As a sports fan I did a comparison and would be losing and/or have to pay extra for channels like Red Zone, NFL Network, NBA TV....and local sports team live broadcasts are subject to blackout restrictions....big problems with live sports....I noticed you mentioned another $20 to watch Hallmark, I like the Hallmark Mystery Channel 

Some areas have to buy an antenna to get local channels....

All in all for me it would cost more to cut the cord....With my max premium cable package and ultra sports extra pack I pay $139 for cable/int

I would urge people to do your homework and research it and check it all out before you ditch cable....Sometimes it amounts to what you want :  certain channels OR do you want to save money.  I know quite a few people that went back to cable....There was a chord cutting calculater, (google it), to help you make an evaluation.......

And dont you know that internet prices and streaming prices will be increasing too.....I read where they are already contemplating it

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”