Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 It's selective outrage. They know you aren't calling names. You're labeling an action, which is not the same as calling the person a name. And yes you are using a well known figure of speech that everyone can understand.

I used to think they misunderstood me and really thought I was calling them names. I got concerned and tried to explain, and I even apologized a few time for hurting their feelings.

But then I noticed the pattern. They do it quite often instead of doing the harder work of presenting a counterargument. Either it's an accusation of name calling, shaming, lecturing, or trying to control them. But no actual content about the topic. Cherry pick and zero in on something to nitpick while ignoring the actual message, or make up an alternate evil reading of the post.

So those tactics doesn't work on me anymore, most of the time, and I just dismiss them. I had to learn not to take any of it seriously or personally.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

If I get a cold or flu this season, I will consider it a very serious breakdown of my safety measures. I could just as easily have gotten Covid if I could get a cold or flu. More easily, even.

Even so, I'm getting my flu shot next month as ususal. It's one more layer of self protection so that I can have one LESS thing to worry about. The more reasonable actions I do to minimize my health risks right now, the more genuinely calm and relaxed I get.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

I get a flu shot every year.  I'll be due in October and just go to my local CVS and will wear a mask.  

Respected Contributor

@MoonieBaby   Glad to hear you aren't taking any chances.  Like you, my husband and I are staying very close to home (and that's putting it mildly) but, you never know who may come to your door with the flu, and I can tell you from experience, it takes minimum contact to contract it from someone.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

I don't know you personally but I have seen your names over the years.  The Flu season will start shortly so PLEASE be careful.  The Covid 19 is still around (some doctors calling it the New Flu).  Get your regular Flu shot.   Make sure you wear a mask and also very important is social distancing.  I want to continue seeing your names.  

@Katcat1  - thank you for the reminders. I had my pneumonia booster shot today, plus an antibody blood test to find out if I had covid back in January-February. I was sure sick, but I had two chest x-rays and there was no sign of pneumonia or any lung damage.

Please everyone, wear your masks and be smart!!

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Honored Contributor

@sunala   I am glad you are feeling better.  Stay safe.

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

@sunala   I am glad you are feeling better.  Stay safe.

@Katcat1-  thank you so much! I am anxious to get the results of the test I had today but I don't know how accurate it will be.

"That's a great first pancake."
Lady Gaga, to Tony Bennett
Trusted Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

@FiddleDeeDee   Seriously?  Don't be foolish is a figure of speech and not meant for calling names.

Apparently you're wrong. Oh, and thanks for the apology, btw. Not.

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Esteemed Contributor

DH and I got our flu shots several days ago (no side effects).  I asked price for uninsured ( my adult Son); it's $49 (well worth it).

QVC Customer Care