Respected Contributor

My Ex refused the shot and was in the military so was supposed to get them but smoozed the nurses out of it. He complained he got sick from the shot so may as get the flu.

They never bothered me and I feel if you do get the flu and had the shot the symptoms are not as harsh and it does not last as long. It is an inexpensive shot and some of my workplaces offered them on site.

A nearby large  hospital made it a requirement last year for all staff. There were a few who declined and were not allowed to continue to work in the hospital after trying to fight it.

Since I retired I have very few colds and flu symptoms but just being in a store  grocery shopping can bring on the flu or a family member can bring it home. I got frustrated  last year with a lack of communication from my clinic and given an "I don't know when?" I had better luck at the Pharmacy as a walk in. I get the Senior  dose shot as well.

I like to get my shot in October .

Honored Contributor

@MoonieBaby   A few years ago, I said I never get the flu and actually never did until that year and ended up in the hospital and there was a time I thought I might not make it because I was so sick coughing and breathing problems.  From that point on, I get a flu shot.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

I have never gotten a flu vaccine and don't plan on getting one this year. Don't think you should call people foolish just because they make a different choice than yours. 

Respected Contributor

I wonder how many would get vaccines if hospitals, knowing they refused them, wouldn't treat them. 

Respected Contributor

@Katcat1 Some folks like those with egg allergies should not get the flu shot.  If most of us wear masks and practice social distancing, that should help with the flu this fall.  If not, that's a different story.  

Honored Contributor

@rms1954 wrote:

I have never gotten a flu vaccine and don't plan on getting one this year. Don't think you should call people foolish just because they make a different choice than yours. 

i have never gotten a flu shot either and dont plan on it this year.

my mom got a flu shot last year. she got the flu (was tested for it) and it really knocked her out for a full month.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

Thank you but on the advice of my dr., I've never had a flu shot either.

Contributor

It seems as if every year we are strongly encouraged to get a flu shot. Then the flu hits and we are told that the shot wasn't effective on the strain of flu that is going around. I haven't had a flu shot in about 3-4 years. I'm going to think long and hard about getting one this year. 

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for your concern, @Katcat1 .   I always get a flu shot, and will again this year for sure!   I also wish everyone would do the same.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Trusted Contributor

@Katcat1  I don't get flu shots, nor does DH (he's never had one) nor do our children. Nice to know you think we're fools. I'll tell my doctors you think they are as well. Good to know!

"Coming to ya from Florida"