Esteemed Contributor

Learned an old friend of mine is sick

[ Edited ]

My heart aches for her.  She will recover, but after talking to her today, I can tell her spirit is defeated.  It broke my heart.

We worked together many years ago when I was 19 and she was 27.  Oh, we had fun.  She was very glamorous at the time, and I envied her style and confidence.  She had flaming red hair and was always impeccably dressed.

She took me under her wing.

Even though I moved away in 1972, we stayed in touch.  She is now 78 and has had MS for many years.  While she's not shown any signs all this time, it has finally caught up with her and she has fallen several times.

The last fall damaged both ankles and she is in a rehab center for now.

Today, when I called, she cried that she missed seeing her husband, dog and being home.  They had no children.

I saw her in September 2018, when I was back for a class reunion and she said today she was sure it would be our last time.

Nothing I can do, but pray for her and hope she recovers enough to get home.  Unfortunately, the falling will likely not get better.

Gosh, getting old just makes my heart hurt!

Guess I just needed to get it off my chest.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Learned an old friend of mine is sick

@Witchy Woman   I wish you friend all the best health in the world.  MS attacks the nervous system and I am sure there are different degrees of it.  I worked with a lawayer that had a daughter with MS and 4 children & husband.  She passed away at a young age from MS.  I am not sure the compications it can cause but everyone is differrent.  I will say a prayer for your friend that she gets through this hurdle and will stay as normal as she can.  I have an auto immune disease myself but I inject medicine weekly so it keeps the disease at bay.  All you can do is be her support which it sounds like she really needs right now.

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

I'm so sorry. You did what you can do which is be there to listen. This is such a tough time not being able to see family is just heartbreaking. Bless you for being a great friend. 

Honored Contributor

It's tough to see a beloved friend in what seems like a decline. I hope that she will feel better when she finally gets to go home to her husband and pup.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

@Witchy Woman 

I am so sorry for your friend.

Sometimes getting older just plain suxs.

I'll keep your friend in my prayers.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

@Witchy Woman I'm so sorry. It's very hard. I can read in your words how much you care about your friend.

This picture made me smile. (I didn't take it. It's from the internet.) Two good friends, one sleepy and needing shade, and the other recovering from some ailment but happy to share the shade.

goldie and kitten cone.png

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Contributor

So sorry for your friend.  She is lucky to have such a caring friend as you. I pray for both of you.

Trusted Contributor

This is exactly what I am scared in my life, having no children and no one will be by myside when I will be old and vulnerable with my heavy load of my past!

The Supreme Happiness Of Life Consists In The Conviction That One Is Loved.
I come from the beautiful and sunny Athens Greece
Honored Contributor

@Witchy Woman 

sening hugs to you and your friend 

may she have speedy recovery and get to go home

Honored Contributor

I'm so sorry for you and your friend. Just let her know you will keep in touch with her. Sending her a card and flowers or a baked good she likes ( if you can), may cheer her up. I'll bet  knowing you care means so much to her.