Esteemed Contributor

Most of our clothing is cotton or other natural fibers so, yes, I still iron.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@missy1 wrote:

@teainlondon wrote:

I am retired, but DH still works part time. Though it is one of my most undesired tasks, I iron once a week every week for DH's shirts. I iron my clothes when I'm going out and need something besides casual jeans/tee (my regular ultra-casual uniform).

Why can't he do it?

I really am not answering for @teainlondon, but I know at our house, if you are the one not working outside the home, (whether retired, stay at home mom, laid off etc.) the bulk of the household chores ARE your job. 

It only seems fair to us that whoever is at home, take up the most of the household chores. If both are occupied outside the home, then it gets split.

I know my sister in law, who hasn't worked enough in her life to mention, but lives the socialite life, will iron her own clothing, but not her husband's. I find in a slap in the face when one spouse won't do for another, and uses something like that to make a point of some kind. 

@Mominohio  I had to heart your reply.  The part about your SIL is a shame.  I am one of the lucky ones (at least I considered it a blessing) who has never worked outside of the home.....a rare breed, I know.  When my DH was still working, I felt that everything that had to do with the household (cleaning, cooking, laundry, ironing, grocery shopping, paying the bills, etc.) was my job.  It worked out well for us.  Now that DH is retired, he has taken on a few of these, but I am reluctant to turn a lot of them over.  I love taking care of a home.  A lot of younger people look at things so differently......mine/yours ....you/me.... not alot of us or ours.  A shame.  They don't what they are missing.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Esteemed Contributor

@missy1 wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@missy1 wrote:

@teainlondon wrote:

I am retired, but DH still works part time. Though it is one of my most undesired tasks, I iron once a week every week for DH's shirts. I iron my clothes when I'm going out and need something besides casual jeans/tee (my regular ultra-casual uniform).

Why can't he do it?

I really am not answering for @teainlondon, but I know at our house, if you are the one not working outside the home, (whether retired, stay at home mom, laid off etc.) the bulk of the household chores ARE your job. 

It only seems fair to us that whoever is at home, take up the most of the household chores. If both are occupied outside the home, then it gets split.

I know my sister in law, who hasn't worked enough in her life to mention, but lives the socialite life, will iron her own clothing, but not her husband's. I find in a slap in the face when one spouse won't do for another, and uses something like that to make a point of some kind. 

I don't think like that. He works part-time. There's no reason for her to do it, if she doesn't care for it. His work shirts, he can iron them.

Bravo to your SIL.

@missy1   Are you married?  Are you in a loving relationship?    I don't know how you could be with this type of ME FOR ME attitude.   Why would you say BRAVO to a selfish individual?

SMH

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

I try to avoid things that need ironing, but I have some pants that still need ironing. I take them out of the dryer when they are still quite damp, which helps cut down on the ironing time. Most shirts I hang dry or steam.

Trusted Contributor

I love to iron and love the look of clothing that is pressed.  I cannot imagine living without an iron to put a nice finish on my clothing.  I own a very good iron (Rowenta Steam Generator)  that makes ironing easy to do. 

Esteemed Contributor

I love to see a person in crisp, ironed clothes!

As for why the poster above irons her husband's things, possibly because she loves and appreciate him.

Apparently a foreign concept to some.

Honored Contributor

It's a changed world my friend, changed world. glad I won't be here to see it get much worse.

Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Still

[ Edited ]

I iron or steam almost everything I wear.  I have a room where my ironing board is always set up with my Rowenta. (both iron and steamer)

I have friends who brag they do not own an iron.  They often look like a wrinkled mess.

edit

My husband often times irons his shirts and pants, although I have no problem doing it for him.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do You Still

[ Edited ]

The only time I iron is if we have to dress up for an ocassion (which isnt often) and DH's dress shirt or dress pants have to be touched up. Otherwise I never iron. We get our every day clothes right out of the dryer and hang it so nothing is every wrinkled. PS) This post reminded me of my Nana. She used to sprinkle laundry w water, and iron everything, and I mean everything.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Respected Contributor
Yes, I still iron. In fact, it's something I like to do, besides, I like my work clothes to look polished. I don't iron jeans (hate the look of creases pressed into them) but my other pants I do like to see a nice crease in them as well as the sleeves of my work blouses. I also iron my pillow cases. I hate to see my work colleagues show up in clothes that haven't been pressed. Looks sloppy and unprofessional.