Honored Contributor

Some People Have A Lot of Nerve - Complaining About a Wedding Gift

I just read this story on the WGN TV website:

What would you consider a generous wedding gift for the happy couple – $50? $100? An appliance? Some nice towels?

One wedding guest claims the bride and groom emailed after the wedding to say that her gift wasn’t generous enough, according to the Daily Mail.  The guest says she gave the newlyweds a check for about $144.

The person explained everything in an online forum:

“I recently attended an ex-colleague’s wedding where, in response to a request for cash gifts, I sent what I thought was a pretty decent cheque (£100 if it matters, though I can’t help feeling it shouldn’t)

Last night I received an email which opened with a few comments about how glad they were to see everybody and how generous they’d all been, then said “we were surprised that your contribution didn’t seem to match the warmth of your good wishes on our big day. In view of your own position, if you wanted to send any adjustment it would be thankfully received”

For someone who’s not easily shocked I confess I’m utterly gobsmacked by this. So as not to drip feed I’ll mention that “your own position” probably refers to a recent inheritance I’ve had, which maybe they expected something from (and this is an ex-colleague, remember, not a close friend or relative)

Please, anyone, what do I do now? I’ve never come across anything like this before and still can’t quite believe they’ve done it – but since they have, should I reply, ring them, ignore it or what??”

The wedding guest got tons of responses, including a lot of people telling her to cancel the check or ask for it back.

After reading all of the responses, the guest said she emailed the couple back with one line: “I assume this was some sort of mistake?” She said she has not yet heard back from them.

Respected Contributor

Re: Some People Have A Lot of Nerve - Complaining About a Wedding Gift

This is a very old story. It was on facebook ages ago. Maybe the guest eventually received a response.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

There used to be such things as manners, respect and class.  Obviously, this bride and groom are sorely lacking in all three.  I blame their parents.  It begins in the home.

Honored Contributor

@Silver Lining wrote:

This is a very old story. It was on facebook ages ago. Maybe the guest eventually received a response.

Maybe you're thinking of something similar you've heard before, but this was just posted today on this legitimate news website.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

According to Google a gift is a thing given willingly to someone without payment, a present.

This couple should have been honest and told their "guests" that there would be an entrance fee!

I think a generous gift is whatever the invitee can afford, whether it's $5 or 5,000.

Honored Contributor

Wow!  If this story is actually true, I can't even think of words to describe how I feel just hearing/reading it!  If I experienced it, I think it would be 'gobsmacked times infinity'.   

How do people have such gall??

Respected Contributor

Whether this is an old story or a new one, my respose would be the same - anyone who is this rude deserves to be IGNORED, which I would do with great pleasure.

Respected Contributor

Sounds grubby and classless.

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Respected Contributor

Place a STOP payment on the check-how's that for some well wishes!

Honored Contributor

I'm sorry my gift offended you.  It was sent with love and since it was not received with love I will cancel it.  I will also cancel my relationship with you until you understand humanity and humility. 

Blessings to you and your family ... you're gonna' need it. Smiley Happy

I think that may have been my response ... on a good day.

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."