Honored Contributor

I don't even own an iron. I haven't used one in at least 12 years. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Trusted Contributor

I only iron my husbands dress shirts which he occasionally wears to work.

Respected Contributor

no, i don't wear shirts that need to be pressed . crisp cotton shirts are not comfy to me.  i have a few linen pieces that i would starch and iron but they wrinkle badly when wearing, so they will go out in the next donation .

i ironed my ex's fine cotton dress shirts - that was a lifetime ago!!   he had beautiful shirts.  every week there were 7 or 8 oxford shirts for me to press. i used to dip them in Linit after washing and they came out super crisp.  when i started working full-time i told him no more and had the cleaners do it.

i was ironing the morning when the Challenger exploded. will never forget it.  i was pressing a sleeve and they said go with throttle up....and then silence

Valued Contributor

Nope.  I am retired and a few years ago changed around all of my clothes.  I only wear knits and those that can either be washed and hung on a hanger or put in the dryer.  Many of my clothes for summer come out of the washer pretty dry already so I just hang on hangers and let dry.  I do own an iron just in case, and also a steamer for the occasional thing that might have to be ironed but I haven't for years.  I got rid of all of my cotton woven and silk blouses.  It there is anything that needs to be ironed like dress clothes I send them out to be dry cleaned or ironed at the cleaners.  Sometimes I wash things and just have the cleaners iron them.

Respected Contributor

most are sent to the cleaners, but once or twice a year i do iron.  we use linen napkins and there some clothes that i do press.  i like ironing as long as it is not often and not all day!

Respected Contributor

Re: Do You Still

[ Edited ]

Of course I iron - becuse I like to look neat and polished.  DH and I have both been retired for some years now, but we don't like to look as though we don't know the difference in crisp and fresh and it's just ok out of the dryer.  I even prefer my jeans to be ironed and creased.  I iron almost every day and honestly find it relaxing.

As for DH ironing, I see no reason not to do his things as well as mine.  He does many things - especially the outside work - and I can't think of any reason other than downright laziness that would keep me from doing my share.  I wasn't raised to be a princess.

Esteemed Contributor

@hopi wrote:

Yes & steam. 

Ditto.

I enjoy quiet time when I do iron.   It's a Zen sort of activity. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

No.   I have one item that would ever need to be ironed, a pair of white pants.   Rather than pull out the ironing board and iron them, I wash them, hang by the hem to dry and then wear them.   

Respected Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

Why, yes.........LOL

More, should, look like street people if you don't. I've seen people come into church with still wet hair. People in store in their pj's . Men and women.

People pumping gas in hair rollers and pj's talking on cellphones.

People are just plain lazy today. No manners and just don't care. All about ME and my  comfort. Give the finger to society.

Seriously?  Not ironing contributes to the fall of society as we know it?

I rarely iron any more. I buy fabrics that don't need it and I know how to do my laundry as to avoid wrinkling.  I never wear "crisp" collared shirts. I've gone to the gas station with wet hair. I talk on my cell phone when I need to, wherever I am.  

I am such a barbarian.....Woman LOL

~Enough is enough~
Esteemed Contributor

@missy1 wrote:

@teainlondon wrote:

I am retired, but DH still works part time. Though it is one of my most undesired tasks, I iron once a week every week for DH's shirts. I iron my clothes when I'm going out and need something besides casual jeans/tee (my regular ultra-casual uniform).

Why can't he do it?

@missy1  Most likely because she loves him and I'm sure that he does things for her.  It is called give and take, it is called putting someone else before yourself.  It works for many, especially the ones with happy marriages.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!