Honored Contributor

Re: Did you grow up with high expectations placed upon yoou?

On 3/8/2015 isaboo said:

I don't know if my sister and 2 brothers were raised with expectations other than to stay out of trouble and work hard. I started working at 15, went to college and bought my first house when I was 28 and single. My husband and I have about the same upbringing.

We have one son who just turned 21. He does not seems to lack motivation and the desire to want to do well for himself. He has a part-time job - this was allowed if he goes to school but he is only taking one class and isn't really committed to it. It seems that he isn't motivated to do better ? I don't understand this at all as I was just the opposite. I'm really frustrated with him at this point and have talked and nagged so much that now we are kind of at odds with each other. I don't know what I can say or do at this point. This is the tiime of his like where he needs to be preparing for something. I am so disappointed because I had better expectations for him...

I feel your pain. I have a son who is in his last year of high school, and is very motivated and hard working, but stumbling a little to find his way in the next step. He thinks he knows where he wants to go, but we tend to disagree (minor) on how he should approach getting there. He has been very strong willed about the approach, and I think it is not the best path for what he wants to do.

What I am going to do is this. I believe that he needs to be better educated in his field. And for that, he can go to a college, or he can get in the industry and land a position where they teach and certify (educate from within) him (ideally both things need to happen, and we both agree on that, it is just how and when each is to occur that seems to divide us).

Should he, in the next couple of months decide to enter the workforce, and not be in a position where he is either in college, or in a certified training program within the industry, I will give him 6 months to get it together. During that time, we will provide for him just as we always have. After 6 months, he begins to become responsible for himself. He already paid for and maintains his own phone and car, but insurance will be his responsibility next. We also will not buy clothing, shoes etc. He will be given a three month time frame in which to find a place to live, or start paying rent to us. We will, over the course of one year, require he transition to being totally independent.

It is amazing what kids can and will do if you won't do it for them. They might not do it how you would, or in your time frame, but I'm in the 'sink or swim' mode of parenting when it comes to adult children. We do them no favors tolerating them being' lost' or 'finding themselves'. There is plenty the parents of adult children can NOT do, to help their kids move on. Don't enable, don't finance, don't ease up on expectations.

Honored Contributor

I grew up being taught to be independent and to pursue the path in life that would make me happy.
hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Although I think this is an interesting thread, I find the older I get the harder it is for me to talk about my childhood. Not that it was all bad, it wasn't. But I had a hard time with it.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

On 3/8/2015 conniec said:
On 3/7/2015 tansy said:

I was expected to not embarrass my mother and that was about it. The advice I received frequently was to marry a rich orphan. She did not like her MIL.

That was about it for me also...very low expectations...I was expected to graduate high school and get a job...luckily I had more ambition on my own and went to college and had a career...I wish they had higher expectations like they did for my brother...I guess they figured I'd just get married and have kids, which I did also, but much later...

Other than being a parent, this is my story also. My parents placed a high value on physical appearance. My brothers proved to be very attractive specimens. I was told that I was 'plain-looking' and to do the best that I could to get a secure job.

Honored Contributor

I was soooooo busy studying. (Too busy, IMO.) Into the wee hours of the night/morning, doing homework, math, writing essays, and whatever else they asked us to do. But, while everyone else seemed to be happy with 'C's', I just had to have those 'A's'. With nobody pushing me at all. No expectations, but they knew that I would get along just fine in life. Edited: I just thought of something: I stressed out my own self! How smart was that?!

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

As much as it was hammered into me how worthless I was, I guess I'd have to say that that had SOME positive effect on me. After a while you feel like you must be pretty worthless if your own mother keeps telling you that. I would say, as a consequence, that I grew up with no expectations at all.

I imagine different people would use that in different ways, though. But what it did for me was to make me excel in whatever I did. I guess I needed to prove to myself that I was NOT worthless. I would say 'prove to her' but that would have been an impossibility. So, it was enough to prove it to me because I needed to learn that I mattered and certainly more than she mattered.

She called me a lot of other names that were not true. Some were more apparent than others. Some took a while for me to realize were lies. Some I probably still work on. I was not ugly and I was not stupid, so those just came from HER and, as I was to learn later on in life, her own self-loathing.

I have to say that, even though I did excel and proved myself not to be worthless or stupid, sometimes I still hear the dialogue in my head. Whenever something goes wrong or I make a mistake I hear the voice in my head saying 'See? She was right - you ARE worthless and undeserving and stupid, etc'. So, it hasn't come without a price.

Honored Contributor

chickenbutt: Some folks are just plain jealous of a child, sibling, etc. Sometimes they just can't help themselves. An obsession, addiction of sorts. Much like other addictions/obsessions. Anyway, you turned out perfectly fine! You win!

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

Thanks, Romary! That is very kind.

Everybody likes to hear nice things about themselves, right?

For me, due to my upbringing, it can be embarrassing and I often feel undeserving, but I ALWAYS feel appreciative.

Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Yes. Straight A's, involved in extracurriculars, go to church, good manners, good attitude, chores around the house, working after school and during summers, etc etc etc. I think I turned out very well, so I don't begrudge my parents raising me that way, at all!
Esteemed Contributor

On 3/8/2015 terrier3 said:

Interesting question!!!

I think each of my parents had different expectations for me. My mother was a beauty - a model, jazz singer and at one point a back up dancer for Mae West. Appearances and "marrying well" were #1 with her. I didn't enjoy makeup or doing my hair - it led to lots of strife. I had ONE date in high school and that was it!

My dad came from a foreign country as a teen, got an MBA and a CPA and went on to a great career. He emphasized education.

Going to a small private girls high school probably influenced me the most. Nardin girls were expected to get advanced degrees and get jobs. They didn't even teach typing when I was there in the 70s...the nuns said that Nardin girls should have secretaries for typing. There were no cheerleaders - Nardin girls were supposed to BE athletes, not cheer them on from the sidelines!

Expectations were strong to get into great colleges. My class included MDs, lawyers, two state Supreme Court justices, an ambassador, a senior editor at the NY Times, the CEO of a local utility....lots of women who had marriages, children and great careers. At least I got a master's degree!

The camaraderie and encouragement of an all girl's school made all the difference in my life. Girls were expected to do anything and everything a man could do - and do it better...and to always reach for the stars.

terrier,

We provided an all girls education for our daughter from K-8 and can say all of what you said above, with the exception of being an athlete and perhaps the emphasis on having secretaries. These girls were the cream of the crop. On the first day of school (kindergarten), while the parents were still on the school grounds, the headmaster (this was a private school - K.D. Burke), spoke to the girls and one statement he made has stayed with me: "Remember, girls, that there isn't anything you cannot do. It is our job to help you develop skills so that you can do whatever you want." His entire speech was really quite good.

They expected much from the girls on a daily basis. At home, I took a softer touch, knowing that she was being challenged academically until 3 each day. So, my rule was this: get your self a snack and drink, complete your homework, and the remainder of the day is yours.